Trusts

In a previous post I mentioned selling our 1st IP to fund the purchase of two more this year and more later on. The original IP was bought in my name for tax purposes (neg gear) but things have changed and this time around we want to do it differently. I have read a lot on using trusts to structure our IPs and this makes a lot of sense. However, I have a lot of questions on how to set one up, how it works, etc (I will buy Dale's book as soon as I have the money available).
I understand we are better off having a company as trustee. Can our curent business do this for us (we have a Pty Ltd IT Consulting Co. that we both work for)? Assuming we get to the point the trust is making enough can we distribute income to all 4 members of the family (2 kids, 12 and 7 and us)?
How do we fund the purchases in the trust? Current situation is a LOC on our PPOR and an IO on the IP (abour 50% LVR in total).
As you can see we have a lot of questions and I expect Dale's book wil answer many of them. We are also off to see our accountant next week to talk about this and other related subjects.

Trusts can be a great tool for use and should be looked into, your on the right track with getting Dale's book.

I wouldnt use your existing business as the company trustee however, your business and property investments should be kept seperate to enable asset protection, if you business gets sued, you could find yourself being sued for your property' also.

Probably the best type of trust to use is the HDT, Hybrid Discretionary Trust, this enable individuals to claim the costs of purchasing units in the trust, so the trust can then take that money and buy IP's, The trust when turning a profit can distribute to any family member.

Hi Todd

Rule number 1 of asset protection is do not mix business and investment assets.

Whilst technically the trust assets would be separate from the business assets, you're inviting trouble if you don't set up a new company which does nothing other than be your trust's trustee.

Cheers
N.

not wanting to take profits away from dale - but is there anyone in perth that can lend ket a copy of trust magic. it was the best $99 i ever spent but if he's flying very close to the wind that could equate to 1/2 a weeks food for the kids.

Trust Magic

Lizzie
Thanks for the offer, but I am in NSW not WA. I am an ex Sand Groper having lived in WA thru the 80s. We saw our old houses in WA sore in price after we sold (can't win em all)! Had one of the first houses in Duncraig and a duplex in Palmyra, both sold before prices went mad, though we made a littel proift from them.
I will buy the book as a I like to have them on hand for reference, but will leave it untill next month as I have just bought two of Margaret's books.
Ta Keith
PS I don't believe in feeding the kids too much, they just grow and then want more food!

Gidday,
I shall have to buy Dales book,as we have just set up our first trust to purchase an ip.

Hope it is easy to read for dumies!!:D
Cheers,
Peter

Back