Two down, eight to go...

Hiya!

I've just gotten off the phone from speaking to a real estate agent friend of mine (for the 5th time today), and I've got awesome news to share.

I've just bought Property #2 :D

The original plan was always to have ten properties before I'm thirty. I'm twenty-one in about three weeks.

This deal:

Asking price $174,500, which was actually a very fair asking price. That surprised me. A tenant moved in on a six-month lease yesterday, and would have preferred a year but the vendor did not want to limit the buyer pool too much. Rented for $165 per week, and I picked it up for $169,500 = a shade over 5% return.

The negotiations were fun (as they tend to be when both sides have some sort of an idea on how agents work) and have played out since Saturday morning. As it is, I gained some time on settlement and paid only $1,000 deposit before settlement, and she got a bit closer to her ideal price (But I got closer :D).

For those who don't know, Lilydale is about 35km from the cbd, on the fringe of the outer suburbs. This particular property is in the bowl of a quiet court next to a kindergarden, and around the corner from the primary school. Walking distance to the station and shops, too (provided one isn't carrying anything too heavy, I guess)

Anyway, damn, I'm stoked. Just had to share the news, and thanks to those who have shared their knowledge here to help all of us. Hope everyone else has a top evening too!

James :D

Hi JGG

Would love to hear how you are structuring your purchases.

Do you have a trust set up already to flick the eventual +CF over into your loved one's tax return?

Are you cross collateralizing by using one as the deposit for another?

You must eventually run out of servicability. You got a plan to sub divide anything eventually?

Are you into stocks at the moment or are you throwing it all at property?

as georgie best once said RJ,
"i gave up women and booze (and il throw in cars for the purposes of a good line) once, and it was the worst 10mins of my life".
Go Jimbo, good work.

Ricardo29 said:
"i gave up women and booze (and il throw in cars for the purposes of a good line) once, and it was the worst 10mins of my life".
And also from the same Georgie

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Ricardo29 said:
Go Jimbo, good work.
Way off topic but it's a good quote

cheers
quoll

Hiya,

Thanks guys :)

Yes RJ, I'm still spending too much on cars and women (woman, if she happens to be reading ;) ), but that's ok. I've found a happy medium for the moment.

Bruce, I've bought this one through my hybrid trust. The $1,000 deposit on the contract is the entirety of my own cash used in this deal; the bank deposit and other costs are coming from the equity in my (overvalued) PPOR. Two different lenders, so no, I don't believe is is crossed.

Sure, I may run out of servicability at some stage. Both properties currently under my control are two-bedroom units, so subdivision is not an option with those. However, I am still in the very early stages of my career and my future prospects look good ;) I can foresee a subdivision may occur somewhere along the next eight IPs.

At the moment, my wealth is in property. I know I will have roughly 10k left over once everything has settled, so I am debating between now and then whether I want to dump that into shares, or, use it to install a nice second-hand kitchen and perhaps a small reward or two. (I could really use a new couch. The futon in the loungeroom atm is going to fall apart any day now...) I can almost justify the kitchen in that it will improve the value which can be spun into another IP deposit one day...!

Thanks again for the kind words :)

James.

G'day James

10 is a good number, are you thinking 10 payed off or 10 with debt? I figured 10 was a nice number with no debt as you look at say $200 per week each so about $10k each house which is $100k per year less expenses and tax at todays prices.

But I'm looking at 20 with debt.

Cheers
quoll

Congratulations James,

You are already so far ahead of people of your age! :)

I'm sure your dad's example has helped.

Keep going down that road. You will find that you have so many choice by the time you reach mid-life, instead of being tied down with a mortgage.

Cheers,

Wow! Thats amazing - not only a PPR but investments too - I didn't even know what INVESTMENT meant at 21!!! Incidently, James we have 4 IP's just out past Lilydale, in the Yarra Valley - great place. Lilydale good choice in my opinion - lots of development going on and happening generally - new posh housing developments too - and very handy with the train line. There are some zone 1 subdividable blocks with renovator's delights still around too.

Back