Two years is too long

Ha ha :D

Not telling has just piqued everyone’s interest James ;)

I wasn't sure that I wanted to post this thread, but I've received enough PM's lately to bow to peer pressure. :p

Well, kinda.

I'm not going to outline exactly what I have or haven't done. But, will mention some of the things that I have done differently, or seen others do differently, to get some good results. This is by no means a comprehensive post but hopefully enough to generate discussion.

For those that didn't see the other thread (of which I apologise for taking slightly off-topic), this discussion is on the back of my comment that "two years is too long" to get my money plus profit back out of a deal. So, that means we're looking for >100% CCR (cash-on-cash return) with two years *max*.

We'll look more at property than shares or business for the moment. 'Tis a property forum, after all, but I have as much interest in those two asset classes as I do in property these days.

First thing is buying below valuation. This doesn't necessarily mean buying below 'market value', or below vendor's asking price. For the pedants amongst us, I acknowledge that purchase price *must* equal market value. What I mean is as stated, buying below valuation. I have seen people take this further and use a LOC to fund the entire purchase price, then refinance a few weeks later at the higher valuation to free up the difference.

At the very least, you have a cushion for if the market does fall a little.

On that note, waiting for the market to rise naturally, especially at the moment, doesn't make any sense to me. Simply holding property for the long-term is not necessarily a winning lotto ticket. Creating value, either by renovation, strata process or subdivision, can force the value higher even in a flat market. In a rising market, you get the best of both worlds.

I also have no aversion to selling property. It creates cashflow which can be reinvested without affecting serviceability like refinancing can. Refusing to do so just because it temporarily reduces the asset pool is forest for trees, IMO.

A number of people I deal with buy three or four properties a year. They only plan to keep one long term; the others are deliberately designed for resale at a profit, which keeps one - or both - partners at home and not having to work in order to fund their investments.

The way I see it, long term investments are simply ones that I plan to hold for longer periods of time than others - the same rules still apply. So, if I'm not getting my money back out of the deal with a decent profit within two years, then I'm not interested. The ones that I have held long term have been refinanced to get the deposit, plus profit, back out of the deal. They're also positively geared.

One commercial deal has seen the yield high enough to achieve that goal in rental receipts alone. Nice.

Using vendor finance can be another strategy. Either by asking the vendor to fund the deposit, or, flipping a property before settlement under a wrap-style arrangement.

Joint ventures to allow more people into the deal that each could not do alone can be worth looking at under the right circumstances. I think Dazz posted one such deal here recently where he's going to nett some pretty healthy profit despite not owning the whole thing.

Renting properties by the room instead of to one family can also achieve high yields. I know another investor who doesn't even buy those properties - she just leases from the agent then sublets by the room. She's got quite a few of these now and does that for a living.

Yes, any number of things can go wrong with any of these ideas. I can appreciate that. It's a risk / reward thing. Protect the downside, be aware of the potential upside and there is some good potential to make some good money out of real estate in a short amount of time. IMO, the only difference between gambling and investing is how much you know. I don't pretend to know it all - that's why I'm still here, to keep learning - but I know enough to say otherwise when someone tells me that gambling is the only way to make quick money.

I hope that helps to explain my stance a little. Basically all it comes down to is a little imagination and a little creativity. And, an open mind.

hahahaha,

I read a little bit james.

100% or 50% pa is quite high.

However, have a deal I am in midst of negotiations on which appears as below.

52%pa rent return
property will be worth with a 10k reno 3x purchase price :)

Just straight out of the box resi prop deal.

Nice post James! It's good to have the reminder that there are a lot of ways to make money in this game...

On the quick money aspect though it seems that most of the methods to achieve this you have outlined here involve significant amounts of personal exertion. In other words spending a fair bit of time getting in and out and making a margin over and over is just like having a job to me - albeit one in which you can stay at home and which you may actually enjoy compared to a more traditional job. Or you may need to spend a lot of time researching and networking to find those below valuation deals, which may be enjoyable to some but to me is just a job...

Personally I already have a job that I enjoy more than flipping, renoing, developing etc and it pays pretty well so these methods have limited application. However the buy and hold strategy works for me because it doesn't require any more of my time once the purchase has been made and these assets do their thing regardless of my (lack of) effort. The decent salary rolling in also helps a lot when I want to use more leverage with lenders - they seem to like that bit.

Each to their own though - that's just what works for me! Your current focus on businesses and shares now may be reflective of this as well? There seems to be more upside in this type of approach if you can spend your time getting a good business going IMO as you are developing a system for making money rather than just doing individual property deals...

Couldn't agree more.
You're going to ruffle some feathers with this post, though. Can't wait! :)

Thanks mate. You've been an inspiration and certainly of those that I have learned from. One example in particular that I remember was a great example of when x-coll works in favour of the investor. Cheers.

Nice post James! It's good to have the reminder that there are a lot of ways to make money in this game...

On the quick money aspect though it seems that most of the methods to achieve this you have outlined here involve significant amounts of personal exertion.
Each to their own though - that's just what works for me! Your current focus on businesses and shares now may be reflective of this as well? There seems to be more upside in this type of approach if you can spend your time getting a good business going IMO as you are developing a system for making money rather than just doing individual property deals...

Thanks, mate. Yes, to each their own; I'm sorry if my post sounded a little righteous.

I'm prepared to make a lot of effort now across a number of ventures, and do consider my investing to be like a business. There will be properties held for the long term to sustain that asset base, but I want above average returns on these as well and don't want my cash locked away and wasted in a long-term negatively geared property. I won't necessarily be doing these sorts of deals forever - like my businesses and shares, there is a premeditated lifespan for each and another plan in mind for when that point approaches...

James

the only elephant in the room that I can think of is the ability to obtain financing (with flipping). If financing/serviceability criteria tightens even further, then one will need a significant amount of equity out of the deals to source funding for the next.

Can you pls elaborate on the woman who leases and sublets? Is it inner city, to uni students etc? I gather its all done on the quiet ie technically one isn't allowed to sublet. Not talking of a flatmate situation but if she isn't living there, one inspection by the PM and game over.

the only elephant in the room that I can think of is the ability to obtain financing (with flipping). If financing/serviceability criteria tightens even further, then one will need a significant amount of equity out of the deals to source funding for the next.

As with everything else, yes, it may be difficult. And so, looking outside the square may be necessary. Again, this might mean vendor finance at one end of the deal, or a JV, or borrowing from a private investor... there aren't a lot of limits to this.

Or, simply taking the solution that you offered in your post, above - look at deals that create sufficient equity to move on to the next one.

Can you pls elaborate on the woman who leases and sublets? Is it inner city, to uni students etc? I gather its all done on the quiet ie technically one isn't allowed to sublet. Not talking of a flatmate situation but if she isn't living there, one inspection by the PM and game over.

I could be mistaken, but I believe in Victoria it is illegal to deny a tenant the right to sublet a property (edit: without good reason). In any case, I understand that this woman is completely upfront with her landlords about her intentions. Those that she secures a deal with clearly don't mind as they have a tenant paying their rent, even if the place is empty; the hard work is then up to her. Yes, I understand that most of her tenants are students and many of these pay cash for several months in advance. Gotta love that.

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but I believe in Victoria it is illegal to deny a tenant the right to sublet a property. In any case, I understand that this woman is completely upfront with her landlords about her intentions. Those that she secures a deal with clearly don't mind as they have a tenant paying their rent, even if the place is empty; the hard work is then up to her. Yes, I understand that most of her tenants are students and many of these pay cash for several months in advance. Gotta love that.

Its actually a pretty novel idea, almost laughable. Definitely outside the box. And if you can pull it off, there's no rates / repairs to pay. Might even be able to build a premium in for electricity/water, and I'll bet if its allowed there aren't a lot of written rules that govern subletting so the principal lessee could exercise discretion in what to levy the pccupants as far as rates etc go.

Or, simply taking the solution that you offered in your post, above - look at deals that create sufficient equity to move on to the next one.
We're starting the ball rolling to do that ourselves, just because we need sideline income that doesn't suck up 9-5 time. The last house should almost pay off this house and complete the subdivision, so we can build. The current house will pay off the newly built house and give us the cash to buy a new house to reno outright (or a new house/land, same price out here). After we sell this house in theory we shouldn't need a loan again.

Not sure how many times we'll do this, our medium-term goal is just a paid-off PPoR + paid off IP to pay the bills and that is just a 2 year goal.

Basically all it comes down to is a little imagination and a little creativity. And, an open mind.

Good post James,

Shows what can be done in a short space of time if one keeps an open mind. Adding more to one's knowledge of the many techniques in the investor's can use is the key. (ie. Adding more tools to the toolbox)

Your post reminds me of one of KeithJ's posts where he explained how he used equity in his IP's to invest in shares and he created significant cashflow. He basically said he tried lots of different things and found one that worked for him.

We are fortunate on this forum to read of the many different ways that people have used property to secure their financial futures. They range from:

1) Adding value through renovation and subdivisions (as you describe above).

2) Flipping a couple of properties to pay off debt on another.

3) Using equity to buy businesses (alla Bayview).

4) Using equity to invest in higher income producing assets such as shares (alla Keith J).

5) Using equity to capitalize interest. (Little unfashionable at the moment, but still possible!!)

6) Using LOE (alla Rixter).

7) Buy and hold with the view of selling down in the future to generate income. (alla Jan Somers).

8) Buy, pay off, buy again when property is paid off and use rents to pay down future properties. (Compounding rent).

9) Building a new house each year and selling to generate cashflow (alla Sue).

10) Using equity in resi IP's to move into commercia property (alla Daz). What an inspiration!

OK, I will start the ruffling... :D

No, just kidding, it all makes perfectly good sense, BUT, you have to buy very well to even get close to these sort of figures...

Thanks for the insight James , very good of you.

I aspire to the buy accordingly and sell at least something strategy for income myself too and I started it last Nov.
I bought a two deal in Nov. The first one is just finished now and is rented way CP and I'm keeping that one probably for good. I've also set it out allowing to go duplex later if I decide or room to ad a second residence . It's turning out to be a great little earner and keeper even as is . The second one I'm beginning now. That is going to be my seller for this year market permitting, after Nov 09 and should cash me up and get me into a position to repeat next year and go on from there

Cheers

There are many ways to skin a feline ;)

Good post James. 100% ca$h on ca$h return in two years is 50 % per year. That's something I would expect to come to me in stocks, however being a largely buy/hold fella with IP's, this implicates passive notions. Although I do have a plan for a couple of pre-CGT IP's I own to be sold down at the right time, to retire all debt and then some.

More active strategies and some left field thinking is required as you've outlined. Another means (personally, not attempting in this market) is the recipe of build four, sell, three and keep one free and repeat to accumulate. The one out of four that is kept (25 %) is the return on gross realisation anyway that a bank would want to see (20-25 %).

Thanks for sharing your insights. :)

James,

Nice work mate!

My wife and I have started thinking a little outside the box lately too. Looking at our assets and how we can maximise both the capital and cash flow returns from them. Here's a couple of the things we're contemplating:

1. Build a freestanding ancillory dwelling at our PPOR

This is now a complying development in our local council for a 2 bed / 1 bath / 60m2 footprint dwelling. We've settled on this design which we can purchase and have built including platform/sparky/plumber for $100K. It would rent for $400pw minimum and gross us $20K pa in rent. The interest on the $100K would only be $5K resulting in $15K pa incremental cash flow.

2. Split the PPOR into two separate rentals

Looking at our current PPOR design, it would be a small matter to put a dividing wall in the huge 60m2 lounge room downstairs, add a kitchen along one wall and a bathroom slightly up the stairs where we always planned one anyway. We could then split her in half and have a 3 bed/1 bath unit upstairs and the same downstairs. Total conversion cost would probably be around $40K and would gross us another $400pw rent on the bottom unit. Similar to above, thats $20K pa income for $2K pa in interest costs or $18K pa additional cash flow.

3. The obvious one: Develop Mona Vale

At the bank at present for this one looking for finance pre-approval. If we do this then we create $500K odd equity through value add, plus improve our cash flow by $20K pa based on letting all three at conservative rentals.

END STATE:

We could move into one of the Mona Vale townhouses and still be holding 5 seperate rentals for a total gross rental income of around $150K pa. Max our debt position around $2.3M for interest charges of $115K pa. CF+ with a nice little buffer for rates to rise. In truth, that's a conservative rental assumption and I'd be hiking rates on my 5 rentals before interest rates started encroaching.

Just thinking outside the box. Makes sense to make my current assets work as hard as they can so tweaking the PPOR to produce some cash flow sounds like a good plan. Going to start with the free standing ancillory dwelling. Will keep everyone posted on how that pans out. ;) Also, pending finance approval we'll kick off the Mona Vale build.

Cheers,
Michael

It's all exiting stuff isn't it.

Just last wk I've hopefully managed to tie up next years project, just one I happened to trip over. We are still negotiating so hopefully he won't get cold feet on me but there's always more fish in the sea if so I spose . Hopefully this one though as it's an absolute ripper 3 buy.
I hope to keep 1 from it almost for free and sell whats left if it's a goer.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have held off on replying to this thread, I was really interested to see where it went. I don’t think James will be too interested in my opinion – he and I talk regularly so are always swapping ideas.

I wouldn’t mind, at this point, taking a little step back from the equation.

It is important to note ages in this. James - I know you are rolling your eyes at that comment as young people are generally tarred with the same brush independent of their drive, experience or nature – but age is important when looking at risk.

A vast majority of people on this board have started or ramped up their investment career after they have reached the 35-40 year mark. When you are that age you most likely with have a house, some of a mortgage left, a family to provide for and so on. When one is early to mid 20’s with no family, no dependants, the concept of risk is very different – and this is where age plays a part.

When talking about risk vs. return we tend to get too bogged down on the return point of view. The level of risk is just as important. The level of risk James or I would be willing to take on is different to a father of 2. Am I prepared to have an educated and well founded go, but with the risk of losing everything and being back to zero? Yes. Are other people who may have other commitments and responsibilities? Probably not.

Now that we have that key point out of the way, its time to talk strategies!

Being of the younger generation usually has another factor built it – a lack of equity. When entering at age 40 with a house you bought when 30 you have equity available to begin the journey. When I started at 22 I had $18k – and that was last year so it didn’t go far. So I thought outside the box (a bit anyway).

Every Sunday and Monday I checked the auction results in my area. Saw an apartment pass in for $180k – reserve of $210k. That night I bought it for $185k – contract was heavily in my favour and I used a 97% loan. Got a 90 day settlement, 45 vacant access prior to settlement, did it up with $500 worth of paint/fittings/cleaning and it rented for $260 a week, 7 days post settlement.

The next one just done is a potential development. Currently putting the funds together and when I get it together will approach the neighbours to see if they are willing to sell.

Whilst 700sqm on 1 block = x
1400sqm over 2 blocks = 2x + y

It is the “y” I am interested in generating.

There are numerous types of deals out there. I think, and forgive me for putting words into your mouth James, that what you are trying to say is that there is more to property investing than buying a negatively geared property, paying $100 a week to cover the shortfall and waiting 10 years to realise your gain on it.

My strong suit is analytics. Whilst not everyone is an analyst, I think it could be a good idea to use some of the same methods. May I suggest that when looking at the deals that may be a potential avenue for you, you consider the following:

- Your adversity to risk
- Worse/Best case scenario and everything in-between
- What you are able to commit
- What you want to get out of it
- How and when you want to get out of it

That last point is very important so please have a think now – what, specifically, do you want to get out of this, and what is the best – not most obvious – way to get you there.

Regards and happy investing.

Ben

When i was 22 i had about $18.

Hi all,
When I started at 22 I had $18k – and that was last year so it didn’t go far.

More to the topic of the thread. In mid-late 2001 i did some research, went to Brisbane and bought 5 houses in one weekend. All with a yield about 9%.

I put a $100 deposit on each house and borrowed 106% of the value of each. Within 2 years these house were worth 2.5 x my buy price.

They were just cashflow +ve as well. With depreciation all up not a bad deal and not a bad ROI on $500.

My point is that with market timing you can achieve this. With market timing you become wealthy without lifting a finger. (ok maybe make a phone call or 2)

You dont have to get fancy and look for 'creative' ways to make money with property that they teach in seminars but rarely work in the real world.

And the reason they rarely work is because for something to be a benefit to you (in your favor) it is usually at a didadvantage to the other side of the deal (eg: the vendor) and that rarely is allowed to happen in reality.

So, while you're off making money in business or the stockmarket, you can make money this way with property at the same time without doing much at all. The only downside is you cant do it all the time. I'm fine with that.

Those were the days...:)
I still have a stack of QLD brochures, newspaper RE sections etc.
Some of those SEQ sellers sold with losses after holding for 10 yrs.
Even DHA houses were selling at those kind of yields.
I sold out in 2006.

Back