Universal remote that actually works?

Does anybody have a universal remote that actually works? I have toyed with buying one a few times over the years, but anybody I know that has bought one has invariably thrown it away soon after buying.

The remote situation on our coffee table is ridiculous. Tv, DVD, PVR, stereo, media player, air con . Hubby actually tried to change the TV volume with the phone once:rolleyes:.

So any suggestions?

Last edited:
The Logitech Harmony remotes are pretty good. I have a Harmony One (don't think it's available anymore) ... takes a bit of effort to get set up, but it does a good job.

We use a TV server (SageTV ... kind of like a set-top-box on steroids), and also have a WDTV for watching movies, plus it all runs through the surround system, which acts like a HDMI switchbox even when turned off.

So we use macros on the remote to turn on the TV, turn on the STB, switch the input on the surround system and then the various functions on the remote are mapped to the relevant device while in use.

For example: play/menu controls are sent to the STB, but the volume controls are sent to the TV, unless we're watching in surround, in which case the volume controls are sent to the HiFi, etc

I have a Harmony 785. Technically not available anymore, but you can still pick it up occasionally on ebay. It's a great remote! Had it for 3 or 4 years.

The Logitech Harmony remotes are pretty good. I have a Harmony One (don't think it's available anymore) ... takes a bit of effort to get set up, but it does a good job.

We use a TV server (SageTV ... kind of like a set-top-box on steroids), and also have a WDTV for watching movies, plus it all runs through the surround system, which acts like a HDMI switchbox even when turned off.

So we use macros on the remote to turn on the TV, turn on the STB, switch the input on the surround system and then the various functions on the remote are mapped to the relevant device while in use.

For example: play/menu controls are sent to the STB, but the volume controls are sent to the TV, unless we're watching in surround, in which case the volume controls are sent to the HiFi, etc

My head hurts :p

Another Harmony One user and love it. As others have said, takes a bit of set up, but once you do it properly it's outstanding. Don't think it's available any more, there's no doubt a new version?

I've tried loads over the years, but my Harmony has been going 3 years without a hiccup or issue and works exactly as I expect one should.

My kit is also made up a various bits of tech, interconnected and looped through etc with a myriad of options for inputs and sound output permutations etc but with Harmony you can set up "activities", so if I want to watch TV only with the sound from the TV then I hit the "Watch TV" option and it powers only TV up. Another Activity is set to "TV with Amp" which will fire up the TV and the amp and set the amp to the TV channel.

If I want to watch a DVD with the sound through the amp I hit "Watch DVD Amped" and it switches the TV on and to the right DVD input and fires up the amp.

Once you select an activity, the hard channel and volume buttons get set to the chosen activity so it behaves like a basic remote for the current thing you are doing, and the touch screen at the top sets up any 'special' buttons for the chosen activities devices.

It the power button and it shuts off everything at once.

As said, takes a bit to set up as you want to really think about all your activity permutations, but once down it is a great piece of lit that just works.

Along with the activities button there is a devices button, if you hit that at any point the whole remote changes to a clone of the original devices remote for things like re-tuning your TV or whatever, essentially anything other than the basic functions you need to have set up in the activities page.

Hah, I've probably confused you even more now!

Good luck.

Another Harmony One user and love it. As others have said, takes a bit of set up, but once you do it properly it's outstanding. Don't think it's available any more, there's no doubt a new version?

I've tried loads over the years, but my Harmony has been going 3 years without a hiccup or issue and works exactly as I expect one should.

My kit is also made up a various bits of tech, interconnected and looped through etc with a myriad of options for inputs and sound output permutations etc but with Harmony you can set up "activities", so if I want to watch TV only with the sound from the TV then I hit the "Watch TV" option and it powers only TV up. Another Activity is set to "TV with Amp" which will fire up the TV and the amp and set the amp to the TV channel.

If I want to watch a DVD with the sound through the amp I hit "Watch DVD Amped" and it switches the TV on and to the right DVD input and fires up the amp.

Once you select an activity, the hard channel and volume buttons get set to the chosen activity so it behaves like a basic remote for the current thing you are doing, and the touch screen at the top sets up any 'special' buttons for the chosen activities devices.

It the power button and it shuts off everything at once.

As said, takes a bit to set up as you want to really think about all your activity permutations, but once down it is a great piece of lit that just works.

Along with the activities button there is a devices button, if you hit that at any point the whole remote changes to a clone of the original devices remote for things like re-tuning your TV or whatever, essentially anything other than the basic functions you need to have set up in the activities page.

Hah, I've probably confused you even more now!

Good luck.

Yeah, like the idea of the activity set up. I have bitten the bullet and bought this
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/support/4160. (harmony 1000i) off eBay

I am going to spend this week thinking of what happens each time we do something and map some activities.
Eg- "watch DVD" means turn on tv, turn on stero to "DVD -in" mode, turn on DVD.

We have a couple of Harmony 525's and they work great. Very happy with them. Not sure if they are still available or have been superseded.

Jason

Back