University whilst working full time

I've done it, did my masters part time while I worked full time. And yeah, it's hard. Not recommended for those with children.

It was OK startiing out, second semester got hard, and after that it was another year of just putting one foot in front of the other.

A masters program is generally easier to study part time than undergrad, because the total workload is smaller.

Now I have children, no way would I do it again.

I am planning/hoping to do a Masters of Applied Finance/Fin Planning. I started (part-time) but pulled out because:
a) I was unprepared for how the lack of contact (I was doing it "online") would impact negatively on my studies;
b) our home situation changed a bit and it became harder to put time aside for my studies. I also need to move stuff around so that I have a permanent "study space";
c) I started doing some contract work which had really irregular working weeks and my studies were suffering; the work won.

I was also probably a little naive in thinking I could easily jump back into study after 20 years away from it! And as I am not working in that field, a lot of the material was unfamiliar/ long forgotten to me.

I still intend to do it, but am exploring other uni options as I am not really liking the original course provider. I also need to get better prepared at home before I start again.

I've done it. After a while you sort of get into a routine, though you don't realize how tired you are till it is over.

Gave myself a panic attack at one point as did my other mates who were doing full-time/full-time.

We studied on public transport and took a week off before final exams to cram.

Hubby did an MBA while working full time. He was also training a couple of nights per week for sport AND we had two kids.

As I recall, we didn't really have any social life during that time, but then, with our skating commitments, we wouldn't have anyway. He did two nights per week from memory, then studied most of the weekend away. It was doable, as we usually trained (weekends) at 6.30-7.00am through to 9.00am, then off he'd go & study. We'd be back at the rink for 4.30pm.

As our kids both skated, we just made skating our 'family time'.

I've done 3 or 4 degrees while working full time.
How could you not know exactly the number of degrees you have.....
Any work outside the full time degrees I did would not have been possible, Uni was 10 hours plus every day by itself.
(I did work full time in the Uni holidays though)

I'm currently half way through a 6 year, part time degree while working full time.

My study is related to my job so I get some time off here and there, especially for exams. Because its job related, it's not that hard for me - I have a lot of the basics. I struggle with assignments though, usually due to time commitments. Exams not so much.

I'd definitely say give it a crack, especially if its a bucket list item, like mine pretty much is and it helps me really broaden out my knowledge and skills. If you're upfront with your lecturers you'll find they'll cut you some slack for working full time.

But unsure if the exams are online as well though? I can't exactly nick out of the office to go do an exam

Mid term exams (if applicable) - maybe.

Final exams - unlikely (you'll be in a packed room with the rest of the sardines).

I already looked at Open Uni as an option, but they don't have the course I want. Not sure if they take suggestions on courses?

In a later post you mention doing a course in property finance.

OUA does offer a BBus in Fin Planning (not the same, I know).

Also, UNE (another noted distance education provider) has a Bachelor of Business with majors in:

Agribusiness
Applied Finance
Business Economics
Decision Support Tools for Business
Financial Management
Human Resource Management
Information Systems
International Business
Management
Marketing
Professional Accounting
Sustainability

They (UNE) also have a Bachelor of Financial Services.

UNE now teaches across three semesters pa. And, if you choose your units wisely, you'll likely never have to set foot in Armidale, NSW (though it is a pretty city).

All that being said... imo... irrespective of where you study and what you do, you should try and use some of your earlier study in IT as advanced standing... if you don't ask, you don't get ....and even if it is outside of the usual 10 year timeframe for AS, if there are no "currency of knowledge" issues because you've spent the last 10 years working in IT, you should be fine..

How feasible is it to study whilst working full time?
Has anyone here done so? How have you found it? Any tips?

Time management.

Devise and stick to a study timetable.

Stay up to date with the work and the readings.

If it is online based (usually is now with distance) then be an active participant

Don't be afraid to ask for help (lecturers are there to help)

Don't bite off more than you can chew....

Or... if you do, be mindful of the withdrawal dates (for fees, etc) and pull the pin before you get pinged financially or you are deemed to have failed the unit if you withdraw.

Time management.

Devise and stick to a study timetable.

Stay up to date with the work and the readings.

If it is online based (usually is now with distance) then be an active participant

Don't be afraid to ask for help (lecturers are there to help)

Don't bite off more than you can chew....

Or... if you do, be mindful of the withdrawal dates (for fees, etc) and pull the pin before you get pinged financially or you are deemed to have failed the unit if you withdraw.

All good tips in this thread, including these points above.

I have been on the full time work/part time study treadmill for what seems like forever. For me it is bloody hard when I am doing a subject that I have little interest in as it is always more enticing to spend time with my spouse/family/friends - therefore I would say their support is paramount to encourage you to continue on.

I have always had support from my employees for study and found that 2/3 employees had an allowance of 2 days/annum for study leave that I could take. Although I am working in the field that I am studying, I can't see why an employee wouldn't be interested in supporting their staff members who are upskilling seeing as you'll be bringing in skills to the company (hey, maybe you'll move sideways in the company to a different department) and won't be asking for monetary support from them (I've heard of some lucky buggers who get their degrees paid for, or in the least allowances for books).

You're lucky if the course you choose records lectures and doesn't require you for tutorials - having to show up for classes after a long day of work is mentally exhausting, especially when there is group work involved and you've been lumped with non-English-speaking full time uni students who don't understand how precious your time is and have no incentive to get things over and done with early on.

Also, don't forget to take into account holiday periods which will now have to be in semester break times... (at my uni exams dates aren't released until 5 weeks before the exam period).

Above all, good luck with it mate! When you get a good lecturer who is passionate about what they're teaching and you have an interest in it, it can be very rewarding. Just keep your eyes on the prize when everything's due in the same week, you're trying to close 2 deals at work, your family duties are pulling you in 3 different directions and you haven't eaten properly or exercised all week because you're running around trying to pick the pieces up after a group member has dropped the ball on their end. ;) (Of course, this just might have been my experience).

I did an accounting/tax degree part time over 6 years while working full time. I did not get any time off to study, take exams, etc., so had to accrue time by working longer hours and weekends. It was a very hard 6 years. I did summer schools to cut down the number of subjects that had to be studied at one time. However, that means you do not get a break from the continual slog of studying.

Did a Masters at weekends...still hard work but easy to get to classes but had to study each night after work.

Good luck

Chris

Studied my Bachelor of Commerce (accounting) degree while working full time in the industry. Only studied part-time which would have taken six years however I ended up pushing myself to take more subjects towards the end of the degree to finish it in five years. Your employer really needs to be on board with this because while you can try and take late evening lectures and tutorials you won't always be able to fit this around your work schedule. You may need to get to work late every Monday morning or leave work at 4pm each Wednesday for that important class you really can't afford to miss. For me this meant I had to work late that afternoon for getting to work late in the morning etc which isn't such a big deal. Important to communicate with your employer and give them as much notice for the exam times so you can take a few/several days off to not only unwind from work but to review your course material that final time. Study leave is a bonus.

I could not study after work and especially not after finishing uni at 10pm, my brain would go into screensaver mode after a day in the office so this means you, your partner, friends and family should be prepared for you to spend most of the weekend studying. Took me a while to get into a routine and it was difficult on my partner for the years we couldn't really do anything on the weekend. However trust me she makes up for that now, my weekends are booked out for the next five years or so?

My secret for those three hour exams: lots of snicker bars and one energy drink for when you start to get hungry and lose your concentration. Nothing worse when your stomach is howling and you have an hour to go.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights everyone, I really appreciate it. I've just applied via TISC website; wish me luck.

I don't have a wife or kids (that i know of) so the time issue isn't too critical I don't think. Can perhaps arrange annual leave to coincide with final exams. It should be simple (but not easy) to do due to my interest in the subject. If it's not interesting, I'll just stop - its not like my job depends on it :p

I've just applied via TISC website; wish me luck.
Good luck!

I somehow managed to do a masters with full time job and 3 kids under five. Well.. it was only two when I started but got a bit too stressed after that ;)

'Now' is the best time to do this course than anytime in the future. You will hate it when the assignments are due. You will hate it when exams are on. But it will be worth it when you finished them all.

Distanced study can a bit boring. I would suggest go to class if possible. You may even find 'social life' in there :p

I don't have a wife or kids (that i know of) so the time issue isn't too critical I don't think.
So you're not planning on finding a wife?

It's interesting that some people want to go into investing so that they can step back, take a less active role and smell the roses- while others want to pursue dreams that, for some time at least, will take them in the opposite direction.

I went through an Electrical Engineering degree and a Commerce degree with a bloke who was doing night shift in a control room at the time. And spent a good proportion of what he earnt on water skiing. To this day I don't know how he did it, apart from bumming lecture notes off the rest of us - he had to sleep sometime! Mind you, it was a fair trade - I learnt to water ski! Breakfast at the Barrack St jetty at 7am after an hour's water skiing - those were the days... :)

I then started work in a power station, which must qualify as the most mind numbingly boring workplace known to man. The work culture was completely toxic so I decided to do a Masters degree at the same time so I didn't completely lose my mind. I was single at the time so I don't remember it being too taxing. Used to drop by the river on the way to uni after work, go for a quick ski with my mates and then head to uni. With all my stuff crammed on my motorbike! I was just (very) happy to have something to think about of an evening in the absence of a love interest at the time.

These days, if I was genuinely interested in a subject and wasn't particularly looking for qualifications etc I would just do it online with someone like Coursera (or many others - there's a whole world of this stuff out there now). Cheaper, often better and you can focus on what actually interests you rather than having to get through all the extraneous and irrelevant cr@p that you aren't interested in. Delivered by world class lecturers rather than the blow-ins you find at your local uni...

I love learning and hope to never stop. There is far too much to learn for just one lifetime!

I did my MBA while working full time and I'm looking now at doing another masters - probably law.

Like you I don't really see it helping me financially, it's just interesting to study.

I won't say it is easy, but it's quite doable. Time management is important. Dont get caught in the trap of believing you need to be studying every waking minute you are not in the office. Plan your time and stick to the plan. When you should be studying... Study. When your not... Don't. But don't sit at your desk "studying" while surfing the web, chatting on SS etc.

I don't recall missing any social event to study, though I have left some nights early cos I had planned an early start the next day.

Like you I have no wife or kids (that I'm aware of) nor plan on having any.

Blacky

I've done it pt over quite a few years for a grad dip in IT and an under grad degree. Pre kids it was a chore but I needed to finish it for a promotion. With kids my wife has done a masters in Tax and CPA WITH Kids...it was tough on everyone but kudos to her for her tenacity.
Boy was I sick of being a single park dad with the kids. In hindsight it was great one on one time that I may not have spent with them otherwise.

Back