Upper Mount Gravatt crazy sales

The Mount Gravatt area seems to be taking off at the moment -- the properties I've looked at receive multiple offers and are under contract in less than a week. I've been caught napping myself...

i napped too - the main difference with the two is first one needs reno, second one they can get away with saying it has had a reno. Also elevated position and breezes for second one, it's probably in a sought after street and has a nice aspect. You wouldn't know unless you went and looked.

First one is a darn good deal (provided it passed building inspection and isn't half eaten by termites). Normally for the same you're looking at high 400s.

@ Tulamula I couldn't resist but to drive past both. First one elevates down from the road slightly. Second one is flat.

@Tim86 - who would have thought aye? Now even what you considered was overpriced back then probably would be considered a bargain in the current market.

I am going to target this suburb hard - will update how I go once I have a contract on something!

Hoping the 'burb holds value.

Last edited:
It's a very popular suburb, I've been watching it for a few months. Also look at Holland Park and Holland Park West, and Carina. Holland Park will be a bit more expensive but there are still a few properties there around the $500K mark on 600sqm. If you can go to $500K I think you're better off spending it in HP than in Mt Gravatt.

Only issue i have with HP is most properties are close to the crematorium. I personally avoid properties close to cemetery.

UMG i will try in the sub-450k.

Forgot about that, I believe the BBQ smells are pretty horrendous at times.

Didn't there used to be, or maybe still is, a lot of housing commission in HP?

Housing commission properties are abound; except Can-do is secretly selling them off. While owners change, the house pattern/layout awaits a renovator!

It makes sense for the State Govt to sell of public houses in these high growth suburbs if raising money is the aim. Just too much too soon will reduce prices.

Anyway, I am kinda fixated on Upper Mt Gravatt. Dropping Salisbury from my search that has already shot off beyond reach for the asbestos-infested shacks!

Tulamalula, going back to your earlier comment on the first house "First one is a darn good deal (provided it passed building inspection and isn't half eaten by termites). Normally for the same you're looking at high 400s."

You really do think a 2 bedroom house in need of at least an intermediate level renovation is a good deal for $440k?

What would a 3 bedroom in same pocket cost then?

I've seen everything from $450-550 in U Mt Gravatt in recent months. Chermside, 13 k from the city on the northside is going off right now, and you're lucky to get a 2 bedder for under $450K

here's a 3 bedder for 495, but it has development potential so you pay a premium

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-upper+mount+gravatt-116008043

3 bedder with pool for $468K - needs a bit of work but rentable.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-upper+mount+gravatt-115991071

3 bed for $429 - rentable needs a cosmetic life

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-upper+mount+gravatt-115877867

Back