Urban Sprawl News Article:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22366375-421,00.html

Discusses the gap between the perception and reality of current urban planning practices.

The perception is that Aussies have a backyard, outdoor lifestyle with pool & barbie.

The reality is new homes are being built to the boundaries, and it's an indoor lifestyle..

I agree. i recently sold our 260sqm house on 400sqm block, and bought an older house, with bigger backyard, in a nice area, for lifestyle choice.
Of course, the house is still nice, but it is older, and double story = less footprint so we have a backyard.

I wonder if there'll be a resurgence in people wanting backyards? I can't see it - not if people can have all the mod-cons (media rooms etc).

Sigh. obesity is a direct result of indoors type activity - not outside play..
It's interesting that people are looking into it though - who's willing to put money on the fact that the report won't change behaviours though..

(ie if block sizes increase, so will houses unless legislation is put into effect)

i would actually concrete the whole backyard if i could, on my property

having a big block and a small house makes it hard to maintain the backyard, unless you are fan of it

i would actually concrete the whole backyard if i could, on my property

Hi Strannik,

Like this?

_DSC8812.jpg

If so, can I come over?

Mark

I wonder if there'll be a resurgence in people wanting backyards? I can't see it - not if people can have all the mod-cons (media rooms etc).

Sigh. obesity is a direct result of indoors type activity - not outside play..
It's interesting that people are looking into it though - who's willing to put money on the fact that the report won't change behaviours though..

(ie if block sizes increase, so will houses unless legislation is put into effect)

Wow, they did say except for Adelaide (which is where I live).

I live on a 50mx20m block where the house and shed only takes up maybe a third of the space. My area used to be market gardens so I have planted 8 fruit trees (2 years from fruiting) and have a 20 x 6m veggie garden (big enough to park a 1/2 dozen cars on) which should produce a fair amount of my food and some to trade (I have rainwater tanks and rain barrels for water)

Then again maybe I am Amish - I have a hills hoist instead of an electrical dryer, ride a bike instead of drive and open windows instead of air conditioning. I save a lot of money, though.

I can't imagine living without a BBQ and eating and drinking outside in the summer! Get outside people!

I believe a lot of people want a backyard for their kids to be able to play in. Sure, townhouses and apartments are OK for couples with no kids, but sometimes you want a place for your kids to play on their swings, cubby house etc. And with housing density increasing all the time, its the large blocks that are going to be really valuable in a few years time.

Australians are spoiled, we really are. In most other major cities, the only people who can afford decent yards are really rich people (not merely your well to do's) or you live 2+ hours away.

Reality is harsh.
Alex

Back