US property market to turn positive

I am beginning to feel that the US residential market is within 6 months of a turn around. If this does occur then it will act as a material counter weight to the global credit crisis and the world should start to see a much brighter second half in 2009.

My belief at this point is only based on circumstantial evidence, however as i see it:
1) Refinancing is on the upswing as interest rates decline. Even though the US federal reserve has been reducing interest rates since late 2007, its only been the in the last few months that residential lending rates have materially declined. Rates have declined 1.5% since October to 5.01% for the 30yr fixed. This is the lowest rate since survey records by Freddie Mac began in 1971.
2) Housing affordability is at its highest since 1972.
3) Stock of available housing has peaked and is now declining (albiet of very high levels).
4) Private equity is moving into the purchase of distressed loans from from the FDIC. The private equityfirm buys the distressed loans at a big discount on face value (around 30-50% of face value) but then renegotiates downwards the payment terms with the borrower to enable the borrower to keep their house. (This can be achieved profitably for the private equity player because they didnt pay face value for the loan). This will reduce the pool of future forced sales.

It's hard to see an early recovery when you look at Subprime, Alt-A and Option-Arm resets.

Subprime resets was the trigger which started the collapse of house prices in the US. The next round of resets will be in the Alt-A market and these are due to intensify later in the year. After that, I think we also have resets on Option-ARMs to look forward too.

Unfortunately we are not even a third of the way through the pipeline.

It's hard to see an early recovery when you look at Subprime, Alt-A and Option-Arm resets.

Subprime resets was the trigger which started the collapse of house prices in the US. The next round of resets will be in the Alt-A market and these are due to intensify later in the year. After that, I think we also have resets on Option-ARMs to look forward too.

Wont the resets be at lower rates?

Dont you think the banks/lenders would have reviewed the reset rates by now?

At the end of the day it is not good for them either if people walk away.

I have trouble beleaving we are only 1/3rd of the way through this.

hi boomtown
no they reset at the rate of the deal at the time so if the deal was say 11% then the reset is at 11%
now if the person can't pay then they walk
and those have not even started to appear as yet
and those are the properties taht the lenders are flogging at the moment and taking the hit now rarther then later when alot hit te market
so when you see a 25% of val tahts an arm loan that has not exploded as yet
now if they sell the property to you teh money goes to the loan
and the arm loan just got neutralised
yes the banks taken a hit but does not show up as a bad debt
because in theory the arm loan just got paid out.
so they take the same hit just in bits
if that make sense
and if they sell this way its not a foreclosure its a buy out so you don't have to have the 6 month wait to resell.
its a bank buy out and thats very different
and no not done one yet as have not got enough in the kitty yet

Back