USA investment properties for an Aussie

I was also wondering this?

karina is independent of handyandy (as far as i know), i am also looking to source the houses from karina, it takes times with the trust bit, but all good so far (still waiting for karina to send me any new house).

hope this clarify things.

Handyandy, sorry if I missed something but are you and Karina working together at sourcing property in the US for investors? Just curious.

No, I am not working with Karina but have, thus far, sourced 3 properties using her services.

I do know Karina personally and have done so for over 6 years.

I simply thought it was preposterous of Laws to accuse Karina of lifting the name. More so to then bring into question Karina's ethics when I know for a fact that she has her customers needs first and foremost in mind when she is looking at properties.

I have found it particularly irksome that at every turn Lawsjs has promote and/or attempt to further Emma's business cause based in Vegas. Ala his quick response to someone suggesting an alternative market and method. A method, which by the way, has sourced me much better returning properties than were available in Vegas, by a country mile.

I do acknowledge Emma's post and she certainly impressed me at the time we visited Vegas, but as mentioned, the deals weren't for me.

Cheers

PS here are some links to the properties purchased

http://www.redfin.com/GA/Lithonia/1997-Pittston-Farm-Rd-30058/home/23788004

This one should gross about 22%

http://www.redfin.com/GA/Covington/40-Trelawney-Ln-30016/home/24178762

This one should gross about 24%

Last edited:
Interesting HA,

I simply did the homework and basically LV can not provide the superior yields that I can achieve in Atlanta, regardless of whether Emma is doing a great job or not it comes down to the figures.

I don't expect a US recovery in the near future but with my current yields I can ride the storm.

Refer to property number 4 below - I will post the renovation once it is completed, Covington Atlanta. This is 16% net yield.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/210-Hazelhurst-Dr-Covington-GA-30016/69877018_zpid/

Cheers, MTR

Last edited:
I like the way Emma dealt with her response and thought she was very professional about it, however I don't think Vegas is a place to invest either.
Actually both companies I mentioned in post one both said to stay away from it.
Here are just a few reasons why:
1. It is number 146/150 in the states economies
2. High Unemployment
3. High Foreclosures
4. Dependant on World economy and tourism and is no longer the no1 spot for gamblers to visit
5. High Crime
6 Homeless epidemic
7. Condos are at 95% vacancy.

So far I think Atlanta is the way because of a few things I've heard but also the weather. I don't know much about cold climates and snow and there seems to be extra problems that come with that.

I would like to know where to research up to date information about the city. Anyone got any pointers where to start?

Firstly, Concur mostly with HandyAndy... I am also in Atlanta so can get confusing - 2 different markets for different reasons - yes ATL for yield esp lower entry point - ALTHOUGH PLEASE NOTE MAINTENANCE COSTS ONGOING ARE MUCH MUCH HIGHER IN ATL...(think rain, lawns, siding, composite roof shingles, distance etc) so massive caveats with the yield but still...see below re Vegas. Tight.

Minor Sidetrack...

PLEASE ALL READ AND FORWARD!! IMPORTANT AND NEED HELP....

I have been attempting to help someone who has been very very badly burnt in US property try to get their money back. They purchased via a well known company that uses the “we set up an LLC for you and that LLC buys the property, you buy the LLC (which we will charge you for the set up even though we already had to set it up in order to buy the property...grr...), we transfer ownership of the LLC which owns the property to you and thus you are effectively buying the property”......Except that the LLC in this instance didn’t own the property and I can guarantee you there are probably a thousand more investors out there that haven’t checked title IS actually owned by that LLC..... And/or verified they truly own the LLC etc etc. This person has even been paying property management fees for it!!

Another instance is a property that has sat vacant for 11 months, has had 3 different property managers, in theory has 2 units rented in the block but not seen a cent of funds!

In other words there are plenty (thousands?) of other people out there who need to be warned and probably don’t even have a CLUE that they have been burned.

(IF YOU BUY THROUGH THIS METHOD PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET AN INDEPENDENT ATTORNEY TO HANDLE TITLE TRANSFER FOR YOU AND DEAL WITH A REPUTABLE TITLE COMPANY AND BE VERY VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL - AND FOR HEAVENS SAKE CHECK YOUR LLC OWNS WHAT IT PURPORTEDLY SHOULD! EVERYONE LEARN HOW TO CHECK TITLE)

Take it for what it is worth but the safest method for purchasing a property is probably to buy a bank foreclosed property from the open market via a real estate agent where you sign the contract directly between yourself (or a company you set up yourself) and the bank with an attorney or title agency handling that exchange.... It may mean you get RSI from writing a million offers but you will never ever fall foul of this type of scam. I can not tell you how shocked I was to dig into this.

It is UNBELIEVABLE how little concern this company is expressing.

How You Can Help.
There is a glimmer of hope to this horrible story and it is that it is likely to be picked up by one of the most respected national news teams who have expressed a lot of interest. The ultimate goal beyond helping others avoid this is to hopefully try to recoup some of the funds (there is ZERO legal leg this person can stand on given the international quagmire and most “facilitation” companies being only to help procure a property with ZERO ongoing concern, follow up or even follow through). The news team is looking specifically for anyone else in this situation – or has been burnt by investing in the US in ANY capacity (highly marked up repairs etc)...... If you know of someone who would be willing to tell their story on air who may at least stand a better chance of ultimately recouping their losses, please let me know or have them contact me. The angle will be a caveat emptor and it will provide the basic simple steps anyone can take to avoid this.

Investing in the States isn’t hard, it shouldn’t be... It IS a great opportunity as we all know but what can happen is frightening and people REALLY need the basics on how to avoid this.

Please call me in Australia on 02 8003 4939, or in the US on 702 475 5975.

Last edited:
Vegas...lol I can guarantee you the reason the spruikers don't touch it is because you simply can't get the bulk numbers of even half decent properties there...it is a tight market, it is a tough market - you do need to know every street and it is DEFINITELY not one that you would be able to sell on the level most want to (I probably see about 3 a week at the moment worthy of even considering buying)

HOWEVER, since you asked....

Vegas...
SFR only - do NOT buy a condo - but I wouldn't recommend a condo anywhere - my flyers that I put up around the neighborhood to rent the properties read "Why rent an apartment when for the same price you could rent this house"......

I still love Vegas as a landlord and will until the day I die..... I can't wait to hear how everyone feels 10 years into being a landlord of multiple properties within the US market when they have bought elsewhere... so, from someone who has been one for (sigh) for well over 10 years in all variations of the form....let me try to explain.

Desert landscaping will sound like music to your ears
Lack of rain will be the happiest of thoughts (no gutters, no leaves to clog gutters, no snow to freeze them etc etc)
No State income tax to file
Aaaaah so so so easy to evict, so so pro landlord,
The blissful sound of Code enforcement coming at a seconds notice?
Tight rentals
Easy maintenance
No snow, no ice melting, no slipping, no snow removal, no frozen pipes,
No natural disasters,
No mould
No termites,
No wood worries, little to no repainting...stucco....,
Windows that don't warp....
No lawns to mow (just don't buy a pool)....

34 million tourists a year coming to visit?

Buying a great property well is the least of your problems!

Being a landlord isn't easy but NEVER underestimate the joys of being an absentee landlord.... if you are on the other side of the planet relying on an over worked, seriously underpaid property manager to maintain your property up to code and expectations (if rents are only $1,000 a month and you are making 7% from gross yield on a property... you do the maths as to how many properties they are managing)....????

What I do, I do carefully and it is why I handle everything in house....there are no guarantees with anything and bet your bottom dollar something will happen but I do try to stack the odds in my favour (pardon the pun).

Cold climate? Average cost for a furnace install? 10k....trust me. Average number of call outs for no heat because your flipping tenant left window/garage door/door open?? 3 per winter. Average cost... don't even ask or I will start crying.

20 minutes to drive across from one side of Vegas to the other??? Ever wanted to know what a call out fee for a maintenance guy is who has to sit in an hour of traffic to get to your property?

Every dollar adds up and every dollar spent when your margins are so tight is a dollar off your yield...you and your property (and I) are going to be together for many years to come..... buy as you mean to go on.

If you are planning to be holding a property for 8 years, look at a house that is 8 years older than your current purchase in the same market - how does it look? Did it hold up well? What issues is it facing....? WHO is looking after that property.... you need to know!

That being said, Vegas is just one market and there are a million more and it will be fun to play in them - just be very very aware of their pitfalls and make your best determination using every bit of knowledge you can to make the decision that is right for you.

Emma that is a sad story I hope they have some sort of recourse although it sounds like they don't.

I am with Emma on this one I have never been a fan of the ," Its my LLC that the property settles into and I will assign the ownership of that LLC over to you method." I think this is a legitimate method of transfer but I just don't like it. It creates too much confusion. I would rather own a property via an LLC that I have set up and have title transferred into my LLC. The other method I am not comfortable with as you are essentially purchasing a company (LLC) that was owned by somebody else previously and that company owns the piece of realestate that you are purchasing. I just don't want to own a company that somebody else owned previously, its not what I am used to when buying realestate.

I have all my clients set up their own LLC's and title transfers directly into their LLC. I would also recommend that everyone take out title insurance on their properties.

Properties in the US transfer by what is called a warranty deed. This is a document that shows the ownership of a parcel of land and is recorded at the county.

Chinese Drywall

This is developing into another great US thread with varying opinions, info and warnings. :)

A question for those seasoned and already investing in the US.

I have read somewhere that during the US housing/construction boom up to circa 2005/2006, because everyone was building so prolifically in the US, they ran out of some building supplies and so materials were sourced offshore. Apparently a lot of new homes were built using inferior Chinese drywall....this apparently corrodes copper wiring and therefore damages aircons and other appliances including tv's. It also contaminates furnsihings and fabrics and emits harmful toxic suplphur gases which have caused sickness in some people.............thinking lawsuits here :cool:

Apparently you can check by taking away a socket cover and look to see if wires are black.....this indicates that drywall has been used.

Not sure if realtor's have to disclose this or not.

Has anyone come across this or aware of drywall and the repercussions if homes are deemed inhabitable? :confused:

Plug

Ok, a plug coming in for Emma...

....who helped me find a place in Vegas almost a year ago now.

I broke her rules, and bought a more expensive foreclosure (with HOA).... we did debate the pros and cons...but I'm happy!

House was rehabbed and tenanted (via section 8) within weeks (Thanks Emma)

Most serious issue so far is pine needles falling on the front lawn (front pebbles?)

Rent has been paid every month, investment is cash positive, I tranfer funds back to Aus via XeTrade whenever rate drops below parity...(Ozforex not so good in reverse)

It seems the lack of maintenance issues in the dry climate, and the pro landlord rules are positives vs some other areas.

So, I'll be looking forward to my next (tax deductible) trip back there in April and (if the dollar is up) perhaps adding to the portfolio.

No hesitation in recommending Emma and her services folks!

No hesitation in recommending Emma and her services folks!

Great recommendation !

I have known Emma for some 10 years ( and family too : ) ) and caught up with her this year on one of our trips to the US.

She knows what she is doing, has great local support, and I believe has discovered a very tight and specific niche.

She will look after clients, sometimes to her own detriment.

ta
rolf

I am with Emma on this one I have never been a fan of the ," Its my LLC that the property settles into and I will assign the ownership of that LLC over to you method." I think this is a legitimate method of transfer but I just don't like it. It creates too much confusion. I would rather own a property via an LLC that I have set up and have title transferred into my LLC. The other method I am not comfortable with as you are essentially purchasing a company (LLC) that was owned by somebody else previously and that company owns the piece of realestate that you are purchasing. I just don't want to own a company that somebody else owned previously, its not what I am used to when buying realestate.

I have all my clients set up their own LLC's and title transfers directly into their LLC. I would also recommend that everyone take out title insurance on their properties.

All our properties are owned by LLC's.

Each LLC owns up to 3 properties. All the LLC's that hold the properties were established by the original buyers agent (cost $200). This was simply because it was the most cost effective way of establishing the LLC (compared to other shelf company businesses ($300) or heaven forbid an Attorney($900+) The LLC ownership is then transferred to my head LLC. This is no different than the transfer of a shelf company entity in NSW. My Attorney overlooks all this transfer paperwork.

In all cases the properties are purchased in the buyer agents name and then transfered to my LLC, whether newly established or already running.

Thus far my Attorney has also organised title insurance for every one of my properties, again in the name of the holding LLC.

We have also taken a further step and lodged a lean against each property backed by a loan agreement between ourselves and each LLC.

We have already seen the results of this process where an acquaintance was selling a US property and the whole sales process stopped dead due to the register lien. No different to a registered mortgage or caveat stopping settlement in Aust.

I believe that the registration of a lien against each US property you purchase is essential to safeguard your interests. This could be a step easily overlooked by a lot of Aust investors as normally we don't need to worry about this at home. The banks make sure they register their mortgage.:D

Cheers

Hi HA

We have similar set up and will also be looking at lodging a lean against each property backed by a loan agreement between ourselves and each LLC.

I am still working through this process and trying to sort out what the interest rate charge will be?? One thing for certain it will be well over 7%. Would be interested on your thoughts regarding this issue?
Thanks

Cheers, Marisa

The federal minimum that I got back in March from my CPA is 1.63% for a loan passed through from owner to LLC. I am not a CPA but will pass that on with the grain of salt. Note that a loan from a foreign entity to an LLC may differ.

NOTE - "title insurance" includes every con in the book - if you have another really valid reason for putting a lien on your property and are certain that the scams of the 80's that were so rife will come back and bite.... then yes, go ahead... it is free to do (well a $5 notary stamp) but I do just err on common sense.

Ultimately the levels of asset protection- apply all as thought of
simplified and paraphrased for brevity - consult with appropriate entities etc

Keep your property to Code (- buy in dry climates?)
My first property I bought in Alaska was because the tenant had abandoned the property unbeknownst to the previous owner and the pipes froze, the furnace froze and 20k in damage was done. My second I bought was because the previous owner didn't remove the snow and ice (in theory a tenant's responsibility) but they ended up slipping and suing the landlord for 50k and won - yes, absentee landlord just not caring enough.... (interestingly I still own the property and have the same tenant who sued who has been there for 10 years now...)

Best means of avoiding being sued - keep your property up to code, conduct quarterly friendly inspections and never, ever ever shirk on this.... get tenant and landlord to sign off and deal with any issues (trust me, they will happen, they will cost something but definitely save you in the long run).... you are buying a property with people involved. Do NOT think that problems won't pop up - they will - who you have dealing with it, how it is dealt with and the delicate diplomacy is critical. Start as you mean to go on, be consistent and be friendly! We all talk about being sued but how about trying not to be sued in the first place.

Imagine for one second a place where health insurance doesn't exist and you have a child who broke their arm on your premises even if it isn't your fault and just a childhood mishap.....often these people just don't have any perceived option but to sue or face 10k in a hospital! If you are an absentee and unknown entity, they may consider it... if you are someone who gives a Christmas present, knows their names, have documentation to CYA (cover your a@#$), you have just avoided 90% of all issues...!

Title Insurance
Beyond mandatory - don't leave home without it - don't even THINK of buying a property that doesn't have the max in title insurance.... that means title insurance that also covers mechanical liens.... this covers every fraudulent transaction known to the industry ... and again, mechanical - not included in standard title insurance but let's say I went and put an a/c on the roof of your property before it was foreclosed on (5k)... the lien for that work can be filed at any point up to statute of limitations - so I pop around to the property, discover it is foreclosed and say, well I will just wait for a new owner to come buy and bill them - they will be able to pay the bill! Unbeknownst, you buy that foreclosed property and lo and behold, 2 weeks later, you are presented with a $5k bill for an a/c unit that has probably been stolen in the interim...!

Standard title insurance doesn't cover that, those that include a mechanics lien do.

Landlord's Insurance - mandatory and I always, always recommend that you get a minimum of 500k in personal liability insurance - if you own only 1 or 2 properties, this "should" amply cover you (a brain tumour operation is about 250k...)

LLC Formation - if you wish - the theory is that they will sue your LLC and not you... the practice is that if they really sue you beyond the 500k, they are completely going to try to and pierce the corporate veil to attack you personally - so follow your LLC guidelines, don't unless necessary file an operating agreement and do do do renew each year - of course if your LLC is owned by a trust, they don't pierce the corporate veil, you will probably be fine... HOWEVER, do NOT attempt to think that refinancing an LLC through the states is easy. I have only just managed to get 8% hard cash financing for my clients with 50% LVR and they are baulking at LLC's......

Umbrella Insurance - what I love - if they pierce your corporate veil they can come after your personal assets - so, in other words, they pierce one LLC and get to your other US based assets.... EXCEPT... you own umbrella insurance up to 3 million so you are covered by that.... For what it is worth I was once told by a very very good friend of mine who is an attorney that the first thing any attorney suing you does is look at the total value of the asset they are suing against because that is what a judge will look at- if you have a 60k property, chances are the max they will get is that property... right now with umbrella insurance they have to go through

Lien on Property
Aaaaah, the scams of the 80's and 90's.... forge a document and sell your property - ooops, you didn't even notice..... but if you place a lien on the property, title will "pull" the lien up when they handle the "sale" transaction so they would then contact the lien holder and thus prevent it from happening.

Ultimately - if you feel this may happen - whack the whole lot on.....it is definitely true, a property with a lien on it is far less capable of being submitted to this fraud...

Hi HA

We have similar set up and will also be looking at lodging a lean against each property backed by a loan agreement between ourselves and each LLC.

I am still working through this process and trying to sort out what the interest rate charge will be?? One thing for certain it will be well over 7%. Would be interested on your thoughts regarding this issue?
Thanks

Cheers, Marisa

Las Vegas

Thank you Emma for your great posts. My wife and I are Australian retirees and have been here in las Vegas for the last 5 weeks, we intend staying for another 3 weeks and are here at the Imperial Palace on the strip. We are only small property investors with 7 IPS back in Oz (one being PPOR at Randwick) which are self supporting. There certainly are some cheap properties here, including some condos overlooking the Stratosphere and the Strip. It would be easy to get "budweiser madness" and buy a property or two but what a minefield.

Prior to coming to the US we were in Asia for 18 months and honestly I think
you can live here just as cheap as Asia.

Thanks again for your posts

Bobby

Little clarity on Title insurance for the audiance this is my first post

The federal minimum that I got back in March from my CPA is 1.63% for a loan passed through from owner to LLC. I am not a CPA but will pass that on with the grain of salt. Note that a loan from a foreign entity to an LLC may differ.

NOTE - "title insurance" includes every con in the book - if you have another really valid reason for putting a lien on your property and are certain that the scams of the 80's that were so rife will come back and bite.... then yes, go ahead... it is free to do (well a $5 notary stamp) but I do just err on common sense.

Ultimately the levels of asset protection- apply all as thought of
simplified and paraphrased for brevity - consult with appropriate entities etc

Keep your property to Code (- buy in dry climates?)
My first property I bought in Alaska was because the tenant had abandoned the property unbeknownst to the previous owner and the pipes froze, the furnace froze and 20k in damage was done. My second I bought was because the previous owner didn't remove the snow and ice (in theory a tenant's responsibility) but they ended up slipping and suing the landlord for 50k and won - yes, absentee landlord just not caring enough.... (interestingly I still own the property and have the same tenant who sued who has been there for 10 years now...)

Best means of avoiding being sued - keep your property up to code, conduct quarterly friendly inspections and never, ever ever shirk on this.... get tenant and landlord to sign off and deal with any issues (trust me, they will happen, they will cost something but definitely save you in the long run).... you are buying a property with people involved. Do NOT think that problems won't pop up - they will - who you have dealing with it, how it is dealt with and the delicate diplomacy is critical. Start as you mean to go on, be consistent and be friendly! We all talk about being sued but how about trying not to be sued in the first place.

Imagine for one second a place where health insurance doesn't exist and you have a child who broke their arm on your premises even if it isn't your fault and just a childhood mishap.....often these people just don't have any perceived option but to sue or face 10k in a hospital! If you are an absentee and unknown entity, they may consider it... if you are someone who gives a Christmas present, knows their names, have documentation to CYA (cover your a@#$), you have just avoided 90% of all issues...!

Title Insurance
Beyond mandatory - don't leave home without it - don't even THINK of buying a property that doesn't have the max in title insurance.... that means title insurance that also covers mechanical liens.... this covers every fraudulent transaction known to the industry ... and again, mechanical - not included in standard title insurance but let's say I went and put an a/c on the roof of your property before it was foreclosed on (5k)... the lien for that work can be filed at any point up to statute of limitations - so I pop around to the property, discover it is foreclosed and say, well I will just wait for a new owner to come buy and bill them - they will be able to pay the bill! Unbeknownst, you buy that foreclosed property and lo and behold, 2 weeks later, you are presented with a $5k bill for an a/c unit that has probably been stolen in the interim...!

Standard title insurance doesn't cover that, those that include a mechanics lien do.

Landlord's Insurance - mandatory and I always, always recommend that you get a minimum of 500k in personal liability insurance - if you own only 1 or 2 properties, this "should" amply cover you (a brain tumour operation is about 250k...)

LLC Formation - if you wish - the theory is that they will sue your LLC and not you... the practice is that if they really sue you beyond the 500k, they are completely going to try to and pierce the corporate veil to attack you personally - so follow your LLC guidelines, don't unless necessary file an operating agreement and do do do renew each year - of course if your LLC is owned by a trust, they don't pierce the corporate veil, you will probably be fine... HOWEVER, do NOT attempt to think that refinancing an LLC through the states is easy. I have only just managed to get 8% hard cash financing for my clients with 50% LVR and they are baulking at LLC's......

Umbrella Insurance - what I love - if they pierce your corporate veil they can come after your personal assets - so, in other words, they pierce one LLC and get to your other US based assets.... EXCEPT... you own umbrella insurance up to 3 million so you are covered by that.... For what it is worth I was once told by a very very good friend of mine who is an attorney that the first thing any attorney suing you does is look at the total value of the asset they are suing against because that is what a judge will look at- if you have a 60k property, chances are the max they will get is that property... right now with umbrella insurance they have to go through

Lien on Property
Aaaaah, the scams of the 80's and 90's.... forge a document and sell your property - ooops, you didn't even notice..... but if you place a lien on the property, title will "pull" the lien up when they handle the "sale" transaction so they would then contact the lien holder and thus prevent it from happening.

Ultimately - if you feel this may happen - whack the whole lot on.....it is definitely true, a property with a lien on it is far less capable of being submitted to this fraud...

The lien laws are state specific and every states are a little different. There are procedures that must be adhered to for a lien to be valid. There are pre lien notices that must be sent certified mail. And time lines that need to be followed again state specific.

The Policy Emma is talking about is called EARLY ISSUE thats where the title company will issue a policy USUALLY new construction and insure during the expiration of the lien rights. Lien rights in most states expire after 45 to 90 days of a notice of complition being recorded with the county or city. Thats not to say that some contractor cannot lien a property, It just might no be valied, and or they can bring a suit for Unjust enrichment if the Lien cannot be perfected. I have done well over 2,000 loans on these fix and flip type properties in 15 plus states. This issue is a non issue with exisiting homes. Very few foreclosures are going to have work done on them right before the homeowner or landlord loses the property to the bank, just not a realistic scenerio in my mind.

there are different kinds of Title insurance also CLTA and ALTA the later provding more coverage and may or may not get issued depending on circumstances just like Early Issue Ryders really depends on the circumstances.

As for Lodging the lien on the property to keep someone from stealing your property I had no honestly thought of that, but people certainly can file forged deeds and if its after you bought the property your title insurance is not going to insure you for something in the future only up to the day you bought the property. I have personally witness crooks stealing properties in California.... So that would give someone peace of mind. All you need is to get a crooked notorary or steal a notary stamp. Also there is more than Warrenty deeds to transfer title thats just one thats common in a lot of states, California its called a Grant Deed... Warranty deed is also the seller warranting certain facts of title as well. YOu can use a Quit Claim deed on transfer title as well.

I am big beleiver in the Umbrella policy and not going crazy with LLC's. there just is not a lot of liability for most of the Aussies no one is going to sue you guys.. worse case is they take your rental. The Umbrella will protect most any issue for nominal cost.

No lender in their right mind will Loan to an LLC... without a personal Guarantee. And since the PG does really does not mean anything because your over in OZ the lender is really just making an equity based hard money loan as you can walk and nothing happens to you personally or credit wise.

Firmly agree about stolen Airconditioning units. Vacant house stolen Unit. If you buy a property in the states you have a 80 to 100% chance of yours getting stolen within a 5 year period especially in the Southeast its a legal sport down there... I know I have 400 plus doors and we lose at least 1 a week.

400 doors.......

.....................Firmly agree about stolen Airconditioning units. Vacant house stolen Unit. If you buy a property in the states you have a 80 to 100% chance of yours getting stolen within a 5 year period especially in the Southeast its a legal sport down there... I know I have 400 plus doors and we lose at least 1 a week.

Welcome to the forum twh. Great first post. Appreciate your insights about liens and umbrella policies. I haven't invested in the US yet, so all of this is news to me. Still reading and absorbing information from those who are doing it.

Four hundred doors, eh? :eek:

I, for one, would be keen to hear of what these entail and, I'm sure others here also.

Are they a mix of SFH, multi's (MFH) and what locations are you exposed to? How do you superintend the management of such a portfolio? If you are inclined, please share.

Again, welcome to SS forum :)

He didn't say anything about the houses with them - maybe twh is a trust fund baby and bought a hospital or maybe he just has a big paddock and likes collecting old doors:)

One of my agents clients had around 500 buildings. And he didn't do SFR's. I met him once, quiet guy. I asked him what it was like coping with that. He said it kept him in private jets on holidays, other people usually coped... Can't knock the logic!

I second Players request - numbers like that are just not possible in Australia, the market is too controlled making rents artificially low. Inspire us please...

HA: I just noticed this:
I have found it particularly irksome that at every turn Lawsjs has promote and/or attempt to further Emma's business cause based in Vegas. Ala his quick response to someone suggesting an alternative market and method. A method, which by the way, has sourced me much better returning properties than were available in Vegas, by a country mile.

I don't wish to be like a dog with a bone (don't think I comparing you to a bone either:) ) but I can't let that go.

I do not promote Emma per se. In fact everyone who has asked me for recommendations I have given the details of both my LA agent AND Emma. Both my LA agent and myself are surprised that no one has ever bought anything through him and only a couple have even contacted him - and that is over 13 years. So saying I always promote Emma is a bit rich, in the subprime world there was no other person I knew wouldn't rip anyone off. I always preface my advice by saying I have never bought outside LA and I have NEVER bought a single foreclosure.

Speaking of 'a method, which by the way, has sourced me much better returning properties than were in Vegas, by a country mile' firstly I would say wait 2-3 winters before commenting (or 2-3 sets of tenants) but let me explain my last deal. Just to be accurate about promotion.

I put down $100k to buy an 8u for $830ish. The exact numbers are a little hazy as there were a few loans to previous owners in the mix including the original assumed loan but in essence $830. These things trade on a cap of about 6.5 - 8. Each 2br/1bth was leased for $750-900. And they were pretty disgusting. We gutted each of them down to the studs, new bath new kitchen, new floors and blanco blanco everywhere (I speak mexican now). I am not nearly as good at nailing prices as Emma (I have to have a separate project manager and much like Karina you pay through the nose - even if you can speak mexican) but after all costs we did each unit for around $3-4k. This included the entire outside (garden and paint) it is now a fetching shade of traffic light orange, yes I was shocked, but it actually isn't too bad. Regardless, people notice it. The work was completed on the whole building in 8 days. That was stunning for me. The ninth day we relet the units and the lowest priced one got $1300. All were tenanted within 7 days.

What that meant was instead of an income average of around $79,200pa (net $59,400) the average became $127,200 (net will be around $95,000). The result of this was an increase in value of $700k. On this building I got a refi on it at 65% L/V on the 'new' value, paid off a couple of loans and cashed out $170k. The most frustrating part of the deal was getting a bloody US notary at the horrid consulate to sign the bloody docs before 1st Jan as the loan had to fund this year.

Now I know Karina's deals are great (though her reno costs seem very high) and cash-flow is fantastic to have, but there are many ways to skin cats. Doing what I just did took me years to be able to do, but what I have always found bizarre is no one has been even remotely interested in LA. For some reason it must appear 'risky'. They love their safe little properties in areas that were desolate 3 years ago and still recovering. The stuff I bought in LA actually went UP in value in subprime. for some really strange reason everyone I have supplied with both contact details shows no interest in what I consider nice safe commercial stuff, but wants property that couldn't be given away 3 years ago and don't forget people like GR who want to buy with 'investors' super fund money the absolute rubbish MFR's in places that rats would not live in...

I suggested Emma because she was the only person doing a good job that I knew of. I know two sub primers I am happy to recommend - and I applaud the 100% growth in the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back