using commercial premises as residential

is it possible to use a commerical premises (eg an office) as residential aswell ?
eg set up a bedroom/living area at the back of an office/studio ?

as i noticed office prices are cheaper than residential in some areas

is it possible to use a commerical premises (eg an office) as residential aswell ?
eg set up a bedroom/living area at the back of an office/studio ?

as i noticed office prices are cheaper than residential in some areas

As Aaron says, zoning

You are looking for "mixed use" i think

t
arolf

I know of several "offices" residing in a business 1 zone that are let as residential however...

They cannot be sold as residential unless the zoning changes and it only takes a disgruntled neighbor to alert the council and you're out!
Plus, if its in a strata type situation, it may also breach the terms resulting in legal woes.

I do know of several factories that have also been converted to warehouse style apartments without proper permits but as mentioned above, the same issues would apply.

Also from what I know, local environmental issues will usually dictate how much the council may enforce the laws.
EG: Offices that have been converted to part resi that are close to an oil/gas refinery. For evacuation and OH&S reasons, it would prob be the oil company that dobs you into the council as they don't want to add to their existing public liabilities.

B.D

Yes zoning is a factor. Also need to consider fire safety and whether your insurers will cover the risk, banks consent to lease is also required or you may breach your mortgage & have to refinance.

same in byron , people living in industrial units , most have a toilet /shower downstairs and a mezzanine above. Council do run checks , but i dont think are taking action . Some developments have approval for caretakers onsite. there is an approval inplace for units that are commercial downstairs with residence above, in the byron industrial estate area . I must find out if its got a special zoning.

Back