Using equity and then investing as an owner / builder..

Hi all,

New to the forums with (what I think) is an interesting question...but one I hope can offer some more interesting feedback!

My situation is this - I have a relative with a property at Kirribilli worth circa $1.8M. This property is owned outright, and (with the right business plan) I have been offered the opportunity to create an income for myself using said equity.

This will not be a lot (relatively), potentially $250-300k, but what I'd like to do is become an owner / builder. ie. use the money to build a new home on vacant land with a view to reselling it at a profit. AND THEN build again, resell and so it goes...I'd love to be in the position in 18 months or so where I'm building and reselling 2 homes per year. I've created an interesting business model where I can buy land for $120k, build for $120k (or there abouts) and then resell for $300k. I've also done my homework as to where I'd look to buy land as well to ensure a worthy investment.

Is this is a good idea? I understand that there are some capital gains implications, but what are some thoughts as to how I could best go about this? Is it crazy? I'd love to get out of the rat race, not be too greedy and create an income of circa $100k per year... any feedback welcome!

Cheers
Tymboo

Hiya,

I would suggest researching very carefully, before getting too far ahead of yourself. Even if you can work a way around the owner-builder rules...

On those numbers, you're looking at a $60k gross profit.

- Less GST (substantial, even with margin scheme)
- Less interest (assuming this needs to be paid somewhere along the line)
- Less potential for accidental cost / time blowouts (I'm sure any one of the developers here can tell you plenty about this one!)

Have you also factored in costs such as

- Agent commissions
- Stamp duty
- Legal expenses on sale and purchase

I agree, your plan sounds great in theory, and I don't mean to shoot it down. But, I have seen all too many people get carried away with such an idea without looking closely enough at the expected bottom line...

Good luck mate,

James.

Back