Vac-Maid

Hi All,

We are in the process of building our first home in QLD. We plan to rent the house out in 12 months time. We are thinking of putting in a Vac-maid but not sure if it will add value to the place or will it be a waste of money? As we only plan to live in it for 6 months we wouldn't really need it ourselves but wondered if the rental people will?

Also can anyone give us a rough figure on how much one would cost?

Cheers guys,
Ems

Ems,

Please excuse my ignorance but is a Vac Maid once one of those wall ducted house vacume systems where by each room has a hole in the wall outlet to plug a vacume hose into, and the actual vacume motor sits outside or in a garage ?

Ems,

Please excuse my ignorance but is a Vac Maid once one of those wall ducted house vacume systems where by each room has a hole in the wall outlet to plug a vacume hose into, and the actual vacume motor sits outside or in a garage ?

I always wanted one of those after using one whilst staying at a mate's place years ago.

The thing just needs emptying yearly! And no lugging a cleaner around. Plus the exhaust and dust is vented outside the house.

What's not to love!

Cheers,

I wouldnt want one in an IP.. another thing to go wrong and be fixed.. much better that the Tenant brings their own crappy vacuum with them when they move in..

I agree with Duncan. Also it doesn't add any value to the house or demand higher rental.

They are a few thousand dollars. If you want to be nice to the tenants, put one a/c in the main bedroom or lounge room. YOu will also get an extra $5-$10 p/w rent

I am not sure if you would want a ducted vacuum system in an IP for the reasons listed above?

However, I have a friend who has been building PPORs and then selling them after a year or so for the last five years.

He tells me that it is the kitchen, laundry, storage and things like the ducted vacuum system that sells his houses. The woman comes in and sees these things and falls in love with the house. He says it is the woman that buys the house. If the woman is happy the men are happy “happy wife, happy life”.

You can get a ducted vacuum system, with two points, for around $650.00 installed in a house under construction here in Vic.

Cheers

John

Loooooong hoses..... :D
Veeeerrrrry long hoses and we have four outlets!!

I was actually glad when ours blew up……I replaced it with a normal vacuum cleaner rather than getting it fixed. Way easier lugging one of them around than the hose. They do have a great suck, but if you think they are less trouble than a normal vacuum cleaner..…..think again.

Ruby :)

I wouldnt want one in an IP.. another thing to go wrong and be fixed.. much better that the Tenant brings their own crappy vacuum with them when they move in..

I agree with Duncan. We have a ducted vac-maid in our home and the thing has a mind of its own sometimes. It has a habbit of turning itself on when it feels like it. Not the most pleasant thing to wake up to at 3am in the morning! We now keep it switched off from the power point and only turn it on when we need it :)

Ozi

Not sure what model you guys are having problems with, but my parent house has had one installed since the place was built about 15 years ago without any issues. It is still the original unit. Will definitely be putting one in my PPOR when I build. Not sure of the model name but I think it starts with V (Volt something?) and is a large brown unit?

I got a vacuum maid system at home.... but it is a real PITA to roll and put the hose away.... a real pita... mind you I am probably the laziest person around...

I have one in my house and I will have one in my next house. Ours is over 15 years old and I think I should replaced the unit because it's has to be cleaned often. The new ones are much better.
You never get the smell of dust pumped back to your living room. I reckon no matter how good your non ducted vaccum cleaner is, it blows some dust back to your house. That's why it's recommended for asthma sufferers to install one.
The drawback with ours, it's in the garage and makes our car dusty.

Back