Vale Christopher Hitchens

Guardian's piece

Vanity Fair has Hitchens' last essay online, for its January issue, in which the author writes of how "before I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer a year and a half ago, I rather jauntily told the readers of my memoirs that when faced with extinction I wanted to be fully conscious and awake, in order to "do" death in the active and not the passive sense. And I do, still, try to nurture that little flame of curiosity and defiance: willing to play out the string to the end and wishing to be spared nothing that properly belongs to a life span. However, one thing that grave illness does is to make you examine familiar principles and seemingly reliable sayings. And there's one that I find I am not saying with quite the same conviction as I once used to: In particular, I have slightly stopped issuing the announcement that
'Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger'."

Hitchen's last Vanity Fair article..

Tony Jones's interview with Christopher Hitchens last year

One of the best there ever was.

Some fine Hitch Slaps

I wonder how many believers he converted to atheism? Seems like a waste of intelligence to me. Someone who spends his life trying to publically prove something (however true it may be) and remains bitter and miserable over the ignorant beliefs of others. Just proves that intelligence is not a prerequisite for happiness and peace.

Most of the great people in this world are out there selflessly helping others without any desire for fame or limelight and amongst them, no doubt,would be both atheists and religious folk. I don't know much about this guy but I wouldn't place him in their ranks from what I saw in the interview. :p

I wonder how many believers he converted to atheism? Seems like a waste of intelligence to me. Someone who spends his life trying to publically prove something (however true it may be) and remains bitter and miserable over the ignorant beliefs of others. Just proves that intelligence is not a prerequisite for happiness and peace.

Most of the great people in this world are out there selflessly helping others without any desire for fame or limelight and amongst them, no doubt,would be both atheists and religious folk. I don't know much about this guy but I wouldn't place him in their ranks from what I saw in the interview. :p

It's a mistake - and a common enough one for theists - to confuse pointing out the obvious nonsense of magical beliefs and the self-evident tendency of systems organised around those beliefs towards totalitarianism, as being "bitter and miserable".

Hitchens (and, frankly, most of us who participate) get genuine joy from the exercise.;)

It's a mistake - and a common enough one for theists - to confuse pointing out the obvious nonsense of magical beliefs and the self-evident tendency of systems organised around those beliefs towards totalitarianism, as being "bitter and miserable".

I don't know the guy at all but it seemed from his clips that his main drive in life was to prove others wrong. Even if they are wrong, how does that make him a great man? Maybe you are merely infatuated by his obvious intellectual ability to refute others.

Hitchens (and, frankly, most of us who participate) get genuine joy from the exercise.;)

There is no greatness in that excercise. Deriving joy from winning an intellectual debate against others is just self indulgence and ego boosting. I pity him as much as them for having the urge to engage in such arguments. It does nothing to disolve the ego and become a person who serves humanity without desire of celebrity and kudos.

And yes, I am making a few hasty judgements here. I hope he was able to die consciously as he wished so he could experience the reality of passing (or not) into a new life. :)

As you'd know, he visited with the parents of people who entered into military service and paid the highest price from reading and agreeing with his world view. Let us honour the man quietly here, TF. He deserves no less respect, in the circumstances.

My own bow of gratitude though goes to each of you that have acknowledged his contribution to our civilisation, if that's not too small a recognition.

Back