Valuation clarification

Hi all,

As useful as these forums are, I sometimes find conflicting answers and advice, which I think is naturally to be expected.

Very quickly, I converted my PPoR into an IP in April this year and am currently getting everything in order for the accountant. I've had a depreciation report done, converted the loan to IO, made sure Insurance was inplace for every aspect of owning an IP etc etc.

The only action I didn't take was to get a valuation done on the property. I've now just read that this important if I decide to sell down the track. I did get a local RE agent to give me a written quote (is it even worth the paper it's written on?).

my question is...what are the implications if I don't get this valuation done. Will the tax office arrive at a median price, based on historic data, if I do sell in say 10 years time to work out CGT?

And another little query I have is the way that Offset accounts are calculated. I've been led to believe that in a basic way they work like this. If you have a loan of 200k and 10k in an offset, then the interest on the loan is calculated at 190k.

But now I'm getting a whiff that they way it's calculated is that if the loan has an interest rate of 9%, then it's worked out on 9% of 10k = $900. That $900 is then deducted off the loan ie: $199, 900. Then the 9% is calculated on that figure. Is this correct?

Thanks sherm

Not sure about the valuation bit.

With regards to offset account, my understanding was the first way you stated. However, they come in various flavours - make sure it is a "100% offset" (or something like that - i.e. any amount in the offset has 100% effect on the principal)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi all,

As useful as these forums are, I sometimes find conflicting answers and advice, which I think is naturally to be expected.

Very quickly, I converted my PPoR into an IP in April this year and am currently getting everything in order for the accountant. I've had a depreciation report done, converted the loan to IO, made sure Insurance was inplace for every aspect of owning an IP etc etc.

The only action I didn't take was to get a valuation done on the property. I've now just read that this important if I decide to sell down the track. I did get a local RE agent to give me a written quote (is it even worth the paper it's written on?).

my question is...what are the implications if I don't get this valuation done. Will the tax office arrive at a median price, based on historic data, if I do sell in say 10 years time to work out CGT?

And another little query I have is the way that Offset accounts are calculated. I've been led to believe that in a basic way they work like this. If you have a loan of 200k and 10k in an offset, then the interest on the loan is calculated at 190k.

But now I'm getting a whiff that they way it's calculated is that if the loan has an interest rate of 9%, then it's worked out on 9% of 10k = $900. That $900 is then deducted off the loan ie: $199, 900. Then the 9% is calculated on that figure. Is this correct?

Thanks sherm

A valuer can do a retrospective valuation as at the date of the transation.

Back