Variation cost

Just got the final invoice for my build on an IP. It has a variation cost of $336 added, I assume this is for a light that was forgotten on the electrical plan in the walk in pantry which was added before signing the contract.

Yes I should have read the electrical plan more closely, however the builder did say it was included.

The work has been completed I believe and they have forgotten to send me the variation to sign, so I would think technically I would have grounds not to pay. There paperwork error was the last error...

Possibly all a bit petty but I'd rather have $336 in my pocket and the experience could leave me with knowledge to leave me better off in the future.

Would you pay no argument or push to not pay?

Just got the final invoice for my build on an IP. It has a variation cost of $336 added, I assume this is for a light that was forgotten on the electrical plan in the walk in pantry which was added before signing the contract.

Yes I should have read the electrical plan more closely, however the builder did say it was included.

The work has been completed I believe and they have forgotten to send me the variation to sign, so I would think technically I would have grounds not to pay. There paperwork error was the last error...

Possibly all a bit petty but I'd rather have $336 in my pocket and the experience could leave me with knowledge to leave me better off in the future.

Would you pay no argument or push to not pay?

You could argue that a pantry is not 'fit for purpose' without a light fitting. It is really their or the electrical designer's mistake.

I had a situation with the build of my PPOR where a heated towel rail was on the inclusions, yet they didn't put it on the electrical layout.

Also, the vanity they specified for the powder room was not suited for the size room their designer had put on the plans. I successfully argued for them to move a wall by 200mm at no cost - initially they tried to hit me with a variation.

Last edited:
Why are you assuming?

Why don't you ask what the variation is for if it's not clear on the invoice. Perhaps there is something else you approved.

pinkboy

Why are you assuming?

Why don't you ask what the variation is for if it's not clear on the invoice. Perhaps there is something else you approved.

pinkboy

Shouldn't be. Only thing mentioned was the light and they would forward paperwork to sign, which they did, only the bill.

Plan to ask, thought I'd get some advice first.

Back