VCAT approved my 3 Townhouses

Just got approval from VCAT for 3 X 350sqm town houses on my Block with Basements;)
Now, being this time of year, I wanted to get things moving so I have frames and roof done before the Summer break.

Does anyone have an idea of timing to get the shovel in the ground. Things I still have to get organised:

-the endorsed permit from council - including resubmission of arborist report and slightly adjusted plans as per some conditions
-Engineering plans with Building permit
-Demolition permit

The reason I ask, I actually live at the address and need to move out

Just got approval from VCAT for 3 X 350sqm town houses on my Block with Basements;)
Now, being this time of year, I wanted to get things moving so I have frames and roof done before the Summer break.

Does anyone have an idea of timing to get the shovel in the ground. Things I still have to get organised:

-the endorsed permit from council - including resubmission of arborist report and slightly adjusted plans as per some conditions
-Engineering plans with Building permit
-Demolition permit

The reason I ask, I actually live at the address and need to move out

You won't be building this year i can assure you of that. The drainage plan approval from council (and they are all the same) will take you at least 2 months. Don't forget demolition and the abolishment of sevices in order to demolish.

Oscar

Wow, Thanks Oscar for the heads up.
Yep, I thought it sounded too good to be true. My builder was believing it would take a mater of 4-6 weeks. However he really only sees the project once approval has all been formalised.

Plus no one works during December (building).

They do, just more emphasis on finishing off work rather than commencing.

Ulvit, unless your conditions to alter the plans are huge aim to have your drainage plan submitted asap then focus on the remaining requirements while that's ticking along.

Oscar

They do, just more emphasis on finishing off work rather than commencing.

Ulvit, unless your conditions to alter the plans are huge aim to have your drainage plan submitted asap then focus on the remaining requirements while that's ticking along.

Oscar

Thanks Oscar. Conditions are significant (reduction of decking only). I will be pushing this hard to get things moving.

I have Master Builders, Registered Plumbers and electricians all in the immediate family.
Calling in a few favors to get things happening over Christmas break

Unless the changes are significant just submit for the cc ASAP. Disconnections of services takes no time. Council may even permit demolition prior to the cc.

Ulvit, just curious. Three townhouses is pretty standard. Why didn't Council approve your 3 townhouses? It's on big blocks too, 350 sqm. Why did you have to take your case to VCAT?

Ulvit, just curious. Three townhouses is pretty standard. Why didn't Council approve your 3 townhouses? It's on big blocks too, 350 sqm. Why did you have to take your case to VCAT?

You would think so wouldn't you....

All councils arguments were subjective - to the point that we thought it was quite ridiculous.
Because there was a big uproar in the street in the form of objectors and a petition, quite simply, Council denied the permit due to the bulk (aka, the overwhelming response of the neighbors).

That being said, i spoke with the council town planner shortly after the VCAT decision and she mentioned that they new it would get through, but thought it would be best for the decision coming from a third party (VCAT).
$15k later in fees, expert witnesses and our own town planner and hear we are....

Mind you, the main arguement the residents had was traffic and the road width - which was 7.4m - ample enough space for emergency vehicles to get through with parked cars on both sides etc.
Overall, the residence were just taking a stance of 'not in my backyard'

That being said, i spoke with the council town planner shortly after the VCAT decision and she mentioned that they new it would get through, but thought it would be best for the decision coming from a third party (VCAT).
$15k later in fees, expert witnesses and our own town planner and hear we are....

That is often the case. On the grounds of merit, compliance with the codes, zoning etc it would have been approved however as soon as one person responds to the notification of the DA the assessment has to be approved by the council rather than the council officer on delegated authority. The councilors will either decide to approve based on the officer's report or reject the application. The outcome is dependent upon who has more pull with the councilors oh we hear the words 'influence' & 'brown paper bags'......

Councils are political bodies so they would rather it come from an independent third party so they do not wear the political damage/blame for an approval going through.

Councils are political bodies so they would rather it come from an independent third party so they do not wear the political damage/blame for an approval going through.

Yep - I suspected this to be the case when we'll going through it. My discussion with the council town planner confirmed this.

I am going through another subdivision with 2 on a block - all relative to the 3 on the block, but because its only two, i am not experiencing any of this....

You soon realise that you are playing political football as soon as the proposal receives an objection. The objectors believe that the elected officials are there to do their bidding but not to take the hard decisions.

Back