Vehicle Rust Prevention

Hi,
Have recently ordered a new vehicle, and would like any advice on rust prevention.
Have read a little about Ruststop RS-5 and DiamondTech electric shields, and wonder if they are better than the old method of drilling/spraying with chemicals (if, in fact, this method still exists).:eek:
Would appreciate your advice.
Thanks
Amy

How long are you planning to keep the vehicle?

If it is around the 4-5 year mark, I'd give it a miss as an overpriced method of getting more cash out of you for no real benefit.

The first new car I ever purchased, I did spend money doing it (I was young & gullible). Since then, I've had a succession of new cars every 4-5 years (for business) and not have rust proofing done and not had rust appear either. ;)....and we live in a salty air environment near lakes/beach.

Hi,

It depends where the car is made, I have read that European cars are far more prone to rusting than Oz cars.

I live 500m from the ocean, my Holden is 13 years old with no rust anywhere, it is garaged but in the old days that didn't matter, they still rusted.

They have been good since about 1980 ish? very little rust in cars made after then.

People involved in the auto industry will know more hopefully one of those will post.

Thanks, fellas,
It's a Subaru, so made in Japan, and hope to keep it for several years.
The dealer is offering the usual 'full car protection' for around $2K, but I'd be content with window tinting, rust prevention (if necessary) and a couple of floor mats.
Thanks for all the advice.
Amy

A friend of ours owns a saleyard and he advised us the following:

If the make of car that you are looking to buy is imported, then it will sit "unprotected" with "fresh paint" on the countries port, shipped over the ocean and left on an open dock in Australia alongside salt water whilst waiting for delivery.

Any damage will be done well and truly before you take posession so do not worry about rust protection.

Again depending on the car, floor mats, seat covers etc may need to be dealer delivered in order to ensure the safety devices 9air bags, curtains etc) installed are not covered or restricted in an accident.

Window tinting is always a must in our conditions.

Good luck.

I have a family member who's worked a long time in the auto industry & for as long as I can remember he's said that this 'rust protection' caper is just that: a way for dealers to make some $.

Will the vehicle be used on a beach regularly (like every few weeks) or do you commute regularly through snow with deicing salts? :)

The Y-man

Will the vehicle be used on a beach regularly (like every few weeks) or do you commute regularly through snow with deicing salts? :)
The Y-man

No, none of the above, and I'm about 5 klms inland. Mainly local city driving, and a little highway work. (just to clear any cobwebs.;))
Cheers
Amy

Back in the mother land (UK) i'd recommend it but really here its not needed. I have a 22 year old subaru and its still like new underneath.

Thanks, everyone, for all your advice.
Looks like I might save myself a few bucks and skip the rust-proofing.
Much appreciated,
Amy

Ain't cars from early 90's onwards dipped in a zinc laden solution before painting which is a strong barrier against rusting..

Think the best form of rust production would be to get some touchup paint along with your new car purchase and if you ever find paint chips fill them in fast...

As long as you dont get paint chips down to the bare metal beyond the paint surface then it wouldn't have a reason to start to rust..

Wash the car regularly as well, get off any dirt/leaves that can retain moisture that encourages the rusting process.

Garage the car as much as possible.. :D

Back