Verbal Offer Accepted but Contract for sale not signed

Hey Guys,
I have had a verbal offer accepted and have signed the Contract of sale on Wednesday this week but the real estate agent has said that due to a family funeral he will not be able to get vendor to sign until this Saturday and wont get the signed contract back to me until Mon/Tuesday, just wondering if this is a ploy to leave it open for vendor to still receive a better offer for a week?
if I don't have a signed copy of contract of sale from vendor is a verbal acceptance of my offer Binding in anyway?

Thanks for your advice guys

Nothing is binding unless there's a signature in the contract. Hard to say what's going on, not sure a funeral is some of the reasons an agent can say just to have more time and room for negotiation. But hey, these days, you find some agents coming up with reasons that you'll never know whether they're really true or not.

Hey Guys,
I have had a verbal offer accepted and have signed the Contract of sale on Wednesday this week but the real estate agent has said that due to a family funeral he will not be able to get vendor to sign until this Saturday and wont get the signed contract back to me until Mon/Tuesday, just wondering if this is a ploy to leave it open for vendor to still receive a better offer for a week?
if I don't have a signed copy of contract of sale from vendor is a verbal acceptance of my offer Binding in anyway?

A verbal agreement means nothing. Until the contract is signed by the vendor, nothing is binding.

Yes, it might be a ploy, or it might not. There's not much you can do about it now unless you'd put in a special condition saying the contract is void unless it's signed by the vendor and received by your solicitor by a certain date or something.

Don't get too worked about it. You get the property, great. You don't, you look for the next one.

I recently purchased a property where I did not receive the signed Contract until the day of settlement!!! My solicitor was tearing her hair out but the vendor's Conveyancer was hopeless.

I personally visited the Vendor 2 days before settlement to check all was in order and he handed me the Title to the Land to give to my Solicitor as he thought his Conveyancer may not get around to handing it over!!!!

I am afraid in such legal matters you get what you pay for.

Chris

Back