views or location?

a question for all you early birds out there ... this morning we're off to look at 2 potential new ppor's. they are both the same price with 5 bed, 3 bath, 2 gge.

one is on a ridge, but is flat, and has magnificant 260degree views of the beach, ocean and city but is not within walking distance of the beach, shops, schools etc.

the other is on the flat and has no views but is within 5 minutes walk of the beach and shops.

which would be the best buy?

good luck lizzie buy em both,

if you are worried about global warming buy the one on the ridge,

i think 5mins to beach on the other property has more potential than a view of the beach/sea.

suppose alot depends on the actual house too

Hi Lizzie
Which has the higher land value?
Which house has the best living area aspects?
How is the building positioned on the block?
Does either house qualify as "worst house in best street"?
which house has the greatest potential for growth?
Maybe you could get a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle and put the pros and cons as headings and start listing positive and negative features and then simply way them up.
I hope you find the PPOR you want.:)
regards
Simon

Hi Lizzie.

Do you intend on being at the beach a fair bit?

If so, the choice is obvious.

If it's only going to be occassional, go the house with the views.

Just my thoughts.

Regards
Marty

Hi Lizzie

As per Simon's post you need to take as points into the mix but the thing that wins it for me is view.

Its the one item that will always keep people in awe long after it moves into an expectation for you.

One thing you must be aware of is that in general positions that are exposed will be windy as they are more exposed to the elements.

Our PPOR has a beatiful view but when the wind blows you think you are going to take off.

Cheers

we're going to offer for the one with the views this morning. thanks for the reply guys - reaffirmed my thoughts.

the one with the views has a heated pool, so although we do like the beach occasionally - the pool wins out over beach. it also has a self contained guest quarters for when the in laws get to old to live by themselves (probably within 2-3 years). there are things that can be done to the house to modernise it for small expense (ie, balcony railings updated) which will add value over the years.

the one near the beach is actually a knock down house on which we would build something similar size and fitout to the views house (including pool) and they would end up being around the same spending price, and same end value, so much of a muchness.

and to think i tossed for 2 hours between 2am and 4am mulling over this. some nights i wish my brain would just shut up!!

Damn, I'm trying to think of a ridge with sufficient flat land around the place ........maybe a few spots in Hickson.

:cool:

Thanks Lizzie,

That general area was my playground waayyy back before most of the homes were there.......ie: long before Rowan was a crescent, etc.........a long time ago :D . If some people knew what had been covered over (mines) before development, they'd probably never want to live there ;) .

BTW, somewhere down the track I will probably ask for suggestions on who to contact locally for advice, etc., but at present, I'm kind of working on a 6 month plan before we do anything too serious.

All other things being equal, I would choose the one with the Views...They can't build anymore views!

Last edited:
I would go for views, though, at night time a beach view can be like looking at a black hole, and I 've heard that sea breezes can be an issue.

GSJ

Hi Lizzie,

I think you have made the right choice.

I have lived in a view property for the last 2 years and I still think its great ,
I wouldn't have a property now without a view and the best bit is you get the benefit day and night :)

Ian

Yep, go with the views...great decision, and only minor renos compared with knock down and rebuild. Love to hear how it goes.

decided not to buy - we were prepared to go to the $mil, but they want $1,050 and not a penny less.

$50k doesn't sound like much when talking about that sort of money, but it just shoved us over into our uncomfort zone - and because they are in no hurry to sell they won't go conditional on the sale of our ppor. they'd be prepared to have an extended settlement - but there is no guarantee our ppor (being in the higher bracket also) would sell in the required time and then we'd but up the whatsit cashflow wise. it would also mean we'd have to divert funds that we've set aside as deposit for one of our developments to fund that last bit and the reno's.

after a second look late yesterday - there were things that just weren't quite right unless huge amounts of money were thrown at it ... things like the pool was much smaller than i'd like and the stairs were narrow and the balcony off the bedrooms had no room for furniture etc. i know that sounds petty, but if i'm spening that type of money (remember this is newcastle, not sydney) i want things to be just right.

i think we'll probably build - then we'll get exactly what we want without compromising. it's one of those things where we have a lovely house already and not wanting to go down in standard - quite happy to go sideways and spend the extra money for a better suburb, but not down.

disappointing, but i think it will be the right decision on the long run

... and yes, they were great views!

Last edited:
gulp - they just rang back and said they'd take the $mil.

yes we do want it - now to work out exactly how we'll pay for it ... :eek:

on the positive note - for doing $50-100k (max) reno work the house would be worth around $1.5mil

wish us luck ...

Yep, I'd got for the views, although for a much different reason than the other replies. I have been checking out storm surges on www.bom.gov.au

The possibility of a 7mtr storm surge due to a cyclone would make the choice (of views, over walking distance to beach), an easy one.

.........disappointing, but i think it will be the right decision on the long run...........

Hmmmmmmm? :D

C'mon Lizzie, give me a hint as to where it's at. Was it in Sat's herald?

Having grown up in a beachside 'burb, and then having had the chance to live there again in later years, I'm afraid I've become a cynical ol' bugger in some regards............way, way too many people who don't even use the natural facilities, driven by their need to display their all to frequently "self perceived success" pricing out those who would genuinely use and respect the areas :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Anyways, good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

Back