WA: how to contact owner of vacant land

hi all

I was wondering how you get the contact details of somebody who owns vacant land.

I have a block in the Perth suburbs I wish to develop with an adjacent block of land, how would I contact the owner if I need to remove/replace the fence, etc?

Thanks
Travis

First you must identify them and you can do this by doing a title search or possibly using one of the real estate databases.

Once you know their name then you need to locate them and there is no easy way to do this - google, facebook, white pages etc.

If the owner is a company then you can do an ASIC search and find the registered office of the company.

I'm not sure if you can do this anymore but we used to contact the council - some would only accept queries in person at the council office. Tell council you saw some vacant land and would like to contact owner to see if they are interested in selling. Give council the address and they will give you the contact/owners details. Some used to charge about $15. I haven't done it for about 6 years.

Some councils will tell you the address rates are going to if you give an appropriate reason. ie to send a fence notice.

However some of the councils won't give that info out anymore for privacy reasons. I have succeeded in getting them to forward a letter for a small fee.

Just do a title search. The title will also have the address of the registered proprietor if you wish to contact them.

I've recently tried to buy rate rolls so I can directly mail owners to purchase particular properties for clients. However, councils have stopped this due to privacy.

If it is a person, you're stuck up stream without a paddle. I've had limited success with facebook, linkedin, google and pipl.com. Another suggestion is looking up the same name in RPdata for other properties (but you can't use their number for marketing). If you are really keen on a property, you might employ a private investigator.

If it is a company/corporate trust, like other people have suggested you can get the ASIC data.

Thanks for the replies.

To follow up, gave the council (City of Belmont) a call, they were happy to provide details over the phone, including Name and rates delivery Address. Too easy.
Only thing they couldn't provide due to privacy laws was contact number.

You can obtain the relevant information from Landgate also but this will cost you. Certificate of title etc then go round there and knock on their door or send a letter.

Back