Waiting to lease out

SS is a great community and I would trust anyone's recommendations on here over anyone else for quality, service and professionalism.

I draw your attention to this thread of yours

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94479

which has plenty of help and good quality pms (from everyones experience) in there as well as another thread in that thread covering the same topic.

but you chose the pm from this thread of yours

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95130

with no recommendations because they were cheaper ( I am assuming by the thread) .

Now already a month vacant and you are well behind the small amount you saved on a cheaper management fee.

In no way is that harsh HD ACE, you did your research haha I guess I was very enticed by the low PR fee...but obviously not doing me any favours. I absolutely love this forum because people are so honest, you will never find that out there. My silly mistake, thought it may have worked out differently unfortunately not..

Those were exactly my thoughts ! Thanks guys! If I've signed all the contracts is there much I can do?

As it's your property you are entitled to tell them to take better photos and edit the ad.

For my properties I supply the photos and proof read all the ads - I'm a slight control freak though :)

If these photos were taken by a "professional" i would be withholding payment.

Also does anyone proof read these ads?
"Unfurnished" is hardly a feature.

What do you mean exactly? It is definitely an improvement from the photos before, they were shocking ! haha

They are an improvement from before.... but they still arent that good.
Eg that photo of the laundry with the paint tray.

You should understand that for every week it stays vacant, its costing you money. If the cost of the professional photos (mine are $125 for 5 photos) and it gets my property leased out 1 week quicker - its well worth it. Plus i can reuse them next time.

haha these are the professional photos I had ordered :/, Ray White use Beproductions for professional photos. The laundry and the carport were from the old pictures I had up before, I'll get her to remove the laundry image as well.

Thanks for your feedback Nek :)

Get rid of the laundry photo!
Things must be different in WA - I'd be shot for putting on a write up like that here!! Remember what you're competing with.

This one is the same street and $5 per week more;
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-girrawheen-412695931
This one is $5 per week less;
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-girrawheen-412896455

There aren't a lot of properties in that specific area but you're competing with reverse cycle air conditioning throughout to your cooling to lounge area.... perhaps a price reduction is in order?

There aren't a lot of properties in that specific area but you're competing with reverse cycle air conditioning throughout to your cooling to lounge area.... perhaps a price reduction is in order?

I initially had it advertised for $390, scared to lower it any further. In your opinion what do you think it should be rented out for? Maybe might drop it to $370?

I'm in VIC so it is very hard for me to give you a good rental estimate. Although you have an updated bathroom one of the properties has an updated kitchen. Given the properties that are available in that suburb and surrounding my estimate would be in the range of $360 - $375. Again, I'm not an area professional, perhaps there is someone here who is in the area that can give their thoughts?

Remove any photos that were not taken by a professional.

Did you go mow and edge the grass like i suggested? If not, go do it.
First impressions count. The nicer looking a place, the more likely someone will want to live in it.

Also keeping it maintained means it doesn't look abandoned and less likely to be damaged by vandals.

Laundry photo officially removed.. trimming in progress. Issue is the lack of inquiries, I have to actually get people to come see the house which is the only way they'll be able to notice the state of the backyard, trimmings etc.

Hopefully the marketing upgrade will do, not saying its the best..far from it but may make a difference ! fingers crossed.

Is it time for the gumtree ad? I know I'm opening up another can of worms (and possibly about to derail the entire thread) - but I've had a lot of success with gumtree and properly vetting the subsequent applicants.

Vetting tenants require a particular skillset. Not everyone can do it.

Its like interviewing for potential employees, some managers with lengthy experience just struggle.

Front house shot - Use photo 2
You only need 1 bedroom shot. All of them look nearly identical anyway.
Get rid of the kitchen only shot. Use the kitchen + dining room shot instead.
Leave the bathroom shot - shows the bathroom is decent.
Leave the sunroom and yard shot.

My honest opinion is that you need a property manager that is going to guide you. Not one that charges you the cheapest fee. I can tell you now that any saving you thought you would have saved going with the cheaper agent has now been lost plus more. Personally i think this agent does not give a rats butt hole about you. They'll just do as they're told because its the path of least resistance, not because its better for you.

A good property manager would have

1. Suggested you tidy up the place from the outside by cutting the grass and getting rid of excess grass between the concrete and the pathways) before the photos were taken.
  2. Then they would have told you to get professional photos taken.
  3. They would also NOT let you dictate what photos to put on, they would decide this because they are professional.
  4. They would know how to proof read a property ad.

As for the photography, why said I the photography is crap is because

• They should have used photoshop to make the grass a tad greener. (Front photo and yard photo)
  • Photos should have been taken in the midday to minimise shadows
  • They do not know how to use angles or position furniture, the living room looks a lot smaller than what it is and the bathroom photo is just poor.

I've uploaded some before (selling agents photos) and after (rental agent's professional photos).

The rental agent's photos make it feel a lot bigger where as the selling agent's photos make it feel a lot smaller. Reality, that room is 3.5m wide.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Living.jpg
    Living.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Living (Pro).JPG
    Living (Pro).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Front (Pro).jpg
    Front (Pro).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
A good property manager would have
Suggested you tidy up the place from the outside by cutting the grass and getting rid of excess grass between the concrete and the pathways) before the photos were taken.
Then they would have told you to get professional photos taken.
They would also NOT let you dictate what photos to put on, they would decide this because they are professional.
They would know how to proof read a property ad.

I wish I could use your photographer ! Those shots are amazing.

The more I read your advice the more angry I am getting with my PM haha it feels like a blindfold has been taken from eyes. I have decided I am giving them a month tops and if the house is not leased out by then I am walking away, it is exhausting pushing for service when I should not have to.

One month? I would have sacked them by now and went with the agency recommended by others (in the other threads you posted)

Why are pets not considered? Looks like a fantastic pet-friendly property with a good back fence and a covered outdoor entertaining area!

Other thing that jumped out at me is by spending a couple hundred (? honestly have no idea how much it would cost) on a new front fence which will section off the property from the footpath and create privacy would do WONDERS for adding an increased 'homely' feel for the property.

One month? I would have sacked them by now and went with the agency recommended by others (in the other threads you posted)

One month is a week away, waiting on 4 applications to come back if they don't I'll make the move. I am in the process of researching fences as we speak, the property is pet friendly but just hasn't been mentioned. I will probably look at Momentum as my next option as I have spoken to Claire a number of times.

If I have signed the lease agreement that most agencies make you sign before commencing with them is it okay to terminate them?

Back