Walking your own path...shift from a "job" to business

Has anyone seen recently 60 minutes where new millionaires were created just by inventing new apps (applications). No one to be hired, can be done in the comfort of your home, programming is outsourced to India or elsewhere, and if successful the application is sold at $0.99 (about a dollar). Imagine turning over around $90 million and in worldwide market (no borders, different currencies - hence hedging, etc...). This was an eye opener and just mind boggling to me!
One guy in QLD sold 90 million for one of his applications (it was the fifth most popular app in the world).
I think some of us are just too old thinking in the old conventional ways about business when the world is dynamic and constantly changing. My son had to create a business plan for his Business Studies subject at high school and yet when I saw the 60 minutes story I wonder how applicable this is to the new information age (or the new internet ways)?
Has anyone seen that episode of 60 minutes?

I haven't seen the episode but I can certainly believe it. I was slow in getting my business online because I was a bit skeptical about spending 25k per year on internet marketing. However, now I can tell you that modern technology is worth every cent in terms of marketing and getting a return on investment. Ignore technological advances at your own peril.

yeah, you hear those sort of stories all the time, in fact, I dont consider them real business acumen, sure you can get lucky, but if it were that easy, then everybody would be doing it,

a big difference in skills/knowledge/persistence between some guy who starts his own business, and works his butt off through the good and the bad, and some kid who becomes a millionaire for writing a few apps or designing a few websites,

if he makes it big, then good on him, but if he doesnt, he wont have much else to work on

just my opinion
Truly Exotic,

I believe we all create our own luck rather than just get lucky.....
Also, we all heard that property investing is simple BUT it doesn't mean it's easy. Well the same applies to my statement above, the people who created the applications. Of course it's not easy, what is in life?
The thread asked about possibilities so I just made a suggestion I saw on TV. Times are changing though, wouldn't you agree?
Best of Luck then!

Back