Want to buy or sell on eBay? PayPal only thanks

WOW ... things are moving along at Oztion

OZtion sees massive jump in members, sales and listings.

We now have over 275,000 members with 28,000 of these joining in the last 6 weeks. 14% (3,875) of the 28,000 signed up as sellers. Within the same period we saw a 65% increase in the value of merchandise traded. The number of items for sale has reached a record high of 670,000.

OZtion grows with Jumbuck

Today, we have announced a new partnership, which will help us grow even faster.

We have entered into an agreement to be acquired by Melbourne based Jumbuck Entertainment (www.jumbuck.com), an Australian online media company. Jumbuck is successful around the world, and publicly listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX: JMB).

http://www.oztion.com.au/Company/news.aspx#200760

:D:D

Ebay are now saying credit card payments are OK too (I don't think they were saying that earlier?). Interesting move as it probably removes pressure off them from the ACCC (cause they are allowing something other than paypal), but most sellers won't have the facilities to accept credit cards......

I've only stuck one toenail into the waters at Oztion, and it was a bit slow.. Do plan on doing more there though.

WOW ... things are moving along at Oztion

OZtion sees massive jump in members, sales and listings.

We now have over 275,000 members with 28,000 of these joining in the last 6 weeks. 14% (3,875) of the 28,000 signed up as sellers. Within the same period we saw a 65% increase in the value of merchandise traded. The number of items for sale has reached a record high of 670,000.

OZtion grows with Jumbuck

Today, we have announced a new partnership, which will help us grow even faster.

We have entered into an agreement to be acquired by Melbourne based Jumbuck Entertainment (www.jumbuck.com), an Australian online media company. Jumbuck is successful around the world, and publicly listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX: JMB).

http://www.oztion.com.au/Company/news.aspx#200760

:D:D
When you look at who the directors are ,Jeff Kennett is one the list i just wonder if they can double their earnings in 08-09 financial year,and if you look at the chart for JMB,and the low vol maybe one to watch..IMHO..
willair..

Aussie eBay competitor OZtion acquired by Jumbuck Entertainment
Wednesday, 4 June 2008
James Thomson

Australian online auction company OZtion has been acquired by listed digital media company Jumbuck Entertainment for $2 million in cash and shares.

OZtion has experienced rapid growth in recent weeks as Australian consumers turn their backs on eBay, after the auction giant announced it would force customers to use its wholly-owned payment company PayPal.

OZtion’s sales increased 50% in May compared with March, and 28,000 new members have joined in the last six weeks, taking total member numbers to 275,000. Over the same period, the value of merchandise traded increased 65% and the number of items up for auction hit a record 670,000.

OZtion, which is currently operating at breakeven, expects to post revenue of $1.2 million for the 2008-09, double this year’s figure.

Jumbuck’s chief executive Adrian Risch and chief financial officer Mark Doughty were alerted to the existence of OZtion in January, when they learnt that the wives of several Jumbuck staff members were using the site. “We started looking at the site and were impressed with the community they had built with virtually no marketing,” Risch says.

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free...OZtion-acquired-by-Jumbuck-Entertainment.html

I have today listed ten items on Oztion. It is, naturally, less well known than ebay, but I plan to keep plugging away and see what happens.

For the items I regularly search for on ebay, I have noticed several ebay sellers I know now selling on Oztion using the same user name (as I have), so I do believe ebay has to worry about losing many of their customers and sellers.

What I LOVE about Oztion is that it costs NOTHING, ZIPPO, ZILCH to list, so it is an easy choice. I did list two items on ebay. Because of the nature of these items, ebay just gets more traffic, and I will get a better price simply because of the volume of lookers, but the lions share are now with Oztion.

I really hope Oztion does well, just to prove to the big boys at ebay that they cannot push everybody around without negative consequences.

What I LOVE about Oztion is that it costs NOTHING, ZIPPO, ZILCH to list, so it is an easy choice. I did list two items on ebay. Because of the nature of these items, ebay just gets more traffic, and I will get a better price simply because of the volume of lookers, but the lions share are now with Oztion.

I'm doing a similar thing. Try listing the items on Oztion as buy-it-nows, at the 'better price' you get on ebay. I've only just put some items up myself doing this, so can't say if they'll sell or not yet!

With the buy-it-nows, you can be sure that a) you get the price you want and b) if it doesn't sell it hasn't cost you anything except for a little time. The auto-relist is good with this too.

Free is pretty cheap advertising :p worth giving it a go. Wonder how it will affect the trading post and similar once it gets more popular?

I have today listed ten items on Oztion. It is, naturally, less well known than ebay, but I plan to keep plugging away and see what happens.

My experience with Oztion. Been a member since 2006 but only took up and started selling 4 weeks ago.

When I was listing on ebay, it got that way it just was not worth my time. If I listed one of my books and it didn't sell and I had to relist 2/3 times, with a sale price of $10, the fees eventually would add up to $5.00, whether I sold it or not. The fees would add up so quickly, I would never list too much.

With Oztion free listings, I have listed 300 items, it's taken me 4 weeks slowly to get to that point BUT I have sold 25 in the last 2 weeks and have only paid a FVF! To be fair to Oztion because they need money to survive as well, I took up their offer of a Vshop for 6 mths @ $5.00 a mth, with free P.O Verification thrown in. it helps my listings too because I can categorise and also offer % off etc.

As far as listing things worth $ and getting your money. I thought the same, I have some collectors items I was thinking of selling. Ebay would have bought me the best price. I decided to list on Oztion with a BIN price. I did that a week ago and I have sold 1 at auction and got a price that was fair, not great but still happy. I have yesterday sold another for BIN at the price I listed and the byer is offering to buy 4 more for asking price with me paying post, which I am considering.

So my experience with Oztion is

Take advantage of free listing and list list list. The more you have the better your chance of selling.

If you want a set price, list as Buy It Now and stick to your guns

Post in forum and get to know other members, you learn a lot and it keeps your username circulating and people look at your things out of curiosity, sometimes they don't know they want something till they see it. :D

Category special is a good deal @ 4.95, make it an auction for 10 days to stay at the top of the category while, and make sure it's something that will draw interest for clicks.

Front page whatever they call it is NOT worth $10.00. Whatever you list is rotated and I never once say my item on the front. They are also small ad's and not eye catching.

I am a lot happier with my results at Oztion than I ever was at Feebay. There's not as many listings for buyers to sort through and best of all there's no chinese junk cluttering up pages and pages.

I think OZtion has a big future

Maybe we should all go back to having a garage sale at 7am on a saturday.

:) I was hoping someone would say that!

Im currently working on a site that will allow members to buy and sell as much as they want for $9.95 a month total cost.

You will be able to sell (auction, fixed price or make an offer)

RJ

Signed up with Oztion, put up a couple of the items I was selling, no interest even though they were getting snapped on eBay for $20 more at fixed price. So pulled them off Oztion after a couple of days. There still just isn't customer base there, all well and good to say leave your stock and keep trying, but for the small time operator who only buys/sells irregularly that isn't really an option.

So I listed all the items I had on eBay. Now that we HAVE to allow PayPal a couple of people chose to pay that way. The money made it to the account, I was shocked by the excessive fees ($7.10 for a $200 item) and then 24 hours later they had frozen my account and were asking for invoices/proof of the stock I was selling.

This was my first (and last) experience I will ever have with PayPal, so unless eBay gets rid of the 'have to allow paypal option' it looks like I will have to do any selling elsewhere. Looks like the local paper might be the go. They have free advertising in The Advertiser on Fridays for items under $500.

Looks like ACCC will be putting a stop to ebay's plans...:)

I'm not so sure it will be all that permanent:

http://forums.ebay.com.au/thread.jspa?threadID=500086342&tstart=0&mod=1213338905287
Current policies regarding accepted payment methods do still apply. This means PayPal is required on all listings on eBay.com.au. Other payment methods (i.e. bank deposit, cheque/money order) may also be offered until 15 July 2008.

From 15 July 2008 the available payment methods will be limited to PayPal, Visa/MasterCard, or pay on pick up.

They have extended the time until its PayPal only and added visa/mastercard payments as acceptable. This may be enough for the ACCC to call off their anti-competitive hounds....but it really doesn't assist the small time operator who isn't going to be offering merchant (visa/mastercard) transactions anyway. Will see what happens...

Back