Warning anyone using Spybot please read

Excuse me for my non-techy language, I am know next to nothing about computers.

For full discussion go here :-

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30424

If you have an older version of Spybot-Search and Destroy installed (anything other than version 1.2.2.0), and you have maintained your updates without installing the new version it is likely that a scan will result in various "false" positives, including "Coolwebsearch" and specifcally "HellzLittleSpy".

Do not, I repeat do not attempt to delete "HellzLittleSpy" as this will remove an ini file.

What's the concern about that?

Next time you try to start up your computer you will end up at a log in page. If you click on your name to log in the computer will shut down. If you do it in safe mode the computer will shut down. If you try to have a technician (from Symantec) fix it online you can't because you can't log into your own computer to get online.

Its a bit like a test for a sexually transmitted disease delivering a false positive-the cure being more dangerous than the disease.

I recommend you uninstall old versions of Spybot (using the add/remove programes function) and install Spybot version 1.5.2.0 (just google spybot). You should not find HellzLittle Spy or Coolwebsearch when you do a search using Spybot version 1.5.2.0.

Have spent the best part of 1.5 days trying to sort out this mess. If you have already deleted HellzLittleSpy there is a way around the endless log-in loop involving rebooting using your Windows system disk-worked for me (total fluke). Details on how to do this are set out on the Spybot forum (I've copied these below)

"An easy way to solve the problem is to use the repair installation function on your windows 2000 installation disk (you need a valid Windows 2000 key):

1. Insert the installation disk into your cd/dvd drive

2. Make sure that the boot sequence in the bios is set to "boot from cd first"

3. Start your computer and you will see the dialog "press any key to boot from cd..." please do so

4. Your computer will load a lot of stuff. When he is finished you have to choose
"To set up Windows 2000 now, press ENTER" (in the following steps you will get the possibility to repair your current windows automatically)

5. In the next step you have to confirm the Licensing Agreement by pressing "F8"

6. The computer should search for versions of Win2000 already installed on the computer. Afterwards you can choose to repair the old Windows 2000 on your system by pressing "r"

Then Windows will copy all necessary system files to your computer. Additionally it will replace all necessary registry keys and when the installation is finished you can login to the computer.

Attention: Maybe not all third-party software installed on your system will work without problems. Perhaps you have to reinstall some of these software. But all your files located on the harddisk should be available again."

Ajax.

Last edited:
Back