Water bill?

Hello,

We received our first water bill yesterday (was renting prior to this) and was surprised to see that it was almost the same amount as our electricity bill (~$160 for the 6-7 weeks since we moved in, $190 for water). The electricity bill is fine as this is what we were paying when renting but I always assumed the water bill was quite a bit less than the power one. Even with our IP, we usually pay around $100 for the quarter which is significantly less. I was just wondering what a "normal" water bill is for people on this forum? We don't use a massive amount - we have a front loading washing machine which we run 3-4 times a week (usually two shortest cycle settings), use the dishwasher every 2 days (rapid wash setting) and water the garden infrequently. Thoughts?

Check the bill as I think you will find it is for longer thn 6 weeks. The waste charge is usually in advance so should cover the next 3 months?

the water usage is in arrears.

Is the water usage unusually high? $190 doesn't sound bad to me.

Click onto the individual areas in the home for a breakdown on how much water different tap fittings and appliances use.

http://www.sawater.com.au/SAWater/YourHome/SaveWaterInYourHome/Top+Tips.htm

Don't forget too that the supply and access charge, which includes sewage is much larger than the supply charge on your power bill.

Some states may even charge some sort of levy as well.

Often these charges make up the larger portion of your bill, particularly with lower water use.

The $190 minus the charges will give you a clearer picture of use?

$190 doesn't sound high to me either. It's the low power bill that makes it appear high.

Back