Water Filtration System.

I had an inspection done by my PM on my Ip today and the tenant says the water is undrinkable and she has to buy drinking water in bottles. The tenant has been in this property for the past 12 months and this is the first I have heard of the water tasting terrible.

The property is on Town water so it is the same as everywhere else in town, or could it be the pipes in the house making it taste aweful?

I spoke with the PM and he suggested a water purifier.
If i fitted a water purifier or filtration system can you claim any deductions from this? as I believe they are a few hundred dollars and the filters are approx $50 each and must be changed every 6 months.

This person is a great tenant and in the past 12 months I have painted all the interior, replaced all carpets and lino, and also fitted a new stove.

What are your thoughts on water filtration or purifiers?

Cheers

I am not a big fan of them myself. I think that different areas water supplies taste different and you get used to it. However they would be depreciable and if it meant keeping your tenant then it would cost less then a weeks rent. You could getthe PM to have a look at the pipes and see how old they are as the gal ones do clog up with rust and other nice stuff. Then again ask the pm whether they think the tenant will leave because of it, sounds like you've already spent a lot tidying up the place.

Darryl

good luck

Hiya

After you get used to drinking water with the chlorine removed, tap water tastes like, well pool water..............

There are systems that you can attached to the tap and the tennant can take with them.

Somehow, I dont think you are responsible for the quality of the drinking water, no more than you are to supply your tennant with sun screen :O)

ta

rolf

I agree with Rolf. You say you have a great tenant, but since they have been there you have catered to their every whim. Did you increase the rent when you repainted & carpeted. This is supposed to be an investment, you don't need to hold their hand. If they don't like the water that is their problem, not yours. The water will taste the same from any property they rent in the area. Let them buy a removable one to take with them.

Cheers

If the water 'tastes terrible' it could be a pipe issue - rusty or otherwise contaminated. This is generally noticeable by the look of the water. The pipes are the utility's responsibility to the house connection & yours beyond this. I highly doubt this would be the reason however.

In all other cases I'd suggest it was the tenant's responsibility.

Is the tenant from another area? if so it could be they are detecting the regional differences between water supplies.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

perhaps you could contact the water supply authority, they may do checks to test the water quality.

as long as your water is the same as all other houses in the street, then it is the tenants problem not yours.

if it is a country area with the water quality being effected by the drought, then IMHO it is the tenants problem.

Aceyducey said:
If the water 'tastes terrible' it could be a pipe issue - rusty or otherwise contaminated. This is generally noticeable by the look of the water. The pipes are the utility's responsibility to the house connection & yours beyond this. I highly doubt this would be the reason however.
One of my IPs had noticably darkish water first thing in the morning. The pipes from the meter to the house are old and galvanised - the plumber said the inside was rusting away and recommended changing them to copper.

skater said:
I agree with Rolf. You say you have a great tenant, but since they have been there you have catered to their every whim. Did you increase the rent when you repainted & carpeted. This is supposed to be an investment, you don't need to hold their hand. If they don't like the water that is their problem, not yours. The water will taste the same from any property they rent in the area. Let them buy a removable one to take with them.

Cheers
Thanks for the replies and I will look further into it.
Skater since the tenant has been in I have done the maintenance needed as the carpet and paint were at the end of their life, I had no choice...

remember that the tenant is your assett.

cheers

Back