water leak body corp insurance help

Hi guys

I'm hoping you all can help with your expert advice.

I own an a top level apartment here in melbourne, and there was a burst dish washer hose which flooded my apartment and water leaked to the apartment below.

I copped about $2300 fees for call outs, and water extraction etc all done by the body corp contractors.

I also believe there may be fees for repairing of damages to the apartment below. The body corp has expected me to fork the bill, however I have enquiried the owner's corp has a $2500 excess for a single event like this to happen.

Can anybody suggest what are my legal rights? as I'm pretty distressed as I believe I shouldn't have to fork out all these fees, more than happy to pay the $2500 excess of the owner's corp but I believe they may have hidden agendas and dont want to go through their OC insurance.

Thanks.

I used to be a care taker of a block of flats and also ran the body corporate/strata side.

The rule of thumb was that anything inside the walls, ie. not common ground was the responsibility of the individual owner. If you have contents insurance it may be worth checking with your insurance company where you stand?

Would also ask for a copy of the insurance policy to see if you can determine where you stand. I would call the insurance company in question and ask them directly.

Back