Water leaks into apartment below

Hi All,

A dishwasher has leaked (or hose burst) and flooded a whole apartment, including damaging the one below.

So we are organising plumber and insurance assessor at the moment.

My question to those who've had this before - who is normally responsible for the apartment below?

The insurance company said it's the owner below, if there is damage it's their responsibility and their insurance. Is that correct, or is it our insurance that should cover it? Or is it a strata issue?

I can imagine if my apartment got damaged from above, I would think twice before paying for it myself..

Thanks

ps - anyone know a good plumber that is working today on the 31st!? Very hard to get one so far called 4 and they all don't want to work today..

We had this happen a couple of years ago.
Since we owned both apts...we just fixed it. No insurance involved.
Didn't cost very much.

Yeah we are thinking not to claim unless it's alot.

The issue is now with several properties and more to come it's going to add up in increased premiums when we renew..

Excess is $500.
Increases to premiums is unknown.

If we don't have to worry about the one below, then we are limited to just 2sqm carpet and replacing the dishwasher + installation. Shouldn't be too much..

Fixing the burst hose is the least of your worries right now. Let the tenant live without the dishwasher for a few days and get it repaired next week when someone will be back on deck.

Tools

It should be covered by your insurance. We live in a unit and I specifically asked about this. We are covered for any damage to other units in our block in the event of water damage or fire/smoke damage.

Try ringing you insurance company under the guise of being a new customer. Ask specifically for the scenario that has happened. As the call will be recorded for "training purposes" you will get the answer to fight with.

Thanks guys

We will wait and see if anyone tries to make a claim against us, it's likely to be strata from above.

At the moment, we have cancelled the insurance claim as the cost to us is minimal, and our insurance has said they won't help the below apartment either.

It wouldn't be practical for us to pay for below apartment damage if it is excluded from our insurance, yet included in either the below apartments insurance or in strata insurance.

For now, we must find a new dishwasher that fits, and one that has the anti-leaking / anti-flood technology that we have heard about.

Cheers

Back