Water rates QLD

Hi all, my understanding was that tenants in QLD are now liable for water usage charges.

PM however have advised me that this is only applicable if water usage exceeds 50 Kilolitres.

Does anyone know where I could confirm the above ?

Regards ... Jose

yes you can charge tenants water consumption in Queensland as per wishingwells link.

the only problem for most Queensland property investors are that

a) their properties are not individually metered IE in a unit block
b) their property is not compliant with water efficient devices

the other potential problem is that unlike other states water is not charged to the tenant like other services IE gas, electricity, telephone etc.

In most local government areas the water consumption is included in the rates notice. which means the owner has to get a copy of the rates notice to the agent for the agent to create a tax invoice for the tenant.

A couple of problems with this

a) rates notices never coincide with lease periods IE tenant moves out of property 2 weeks prior to a rates notice being issued. you can not find out what charges can be passed onto tenant until rates notice issued. Owner/agent has to hold unknown amount of money from bond until rates notice arrives.
b) agent or owner can issue tax invoice to tenant of water consumption and there is no ramifications on the tenant to pay the account. IE you can issue tenant with a breach notice for not paying. The owner has to pay the rated notice by the due date or face penalty interest charge. If the tenant does not pay the account, the best thing you can do is wait until lease is up and move tenant on and then claim the unpaid water consumption against the bond.

What we do is if the property does not have the water efficient devices in the property, is we put a clause in the lease that relates to water excess. If a tenancy uses over 55kl per quarter(or rates notices are issued quarterly) the the tenant is liable for any excess.

Back