Waterfront Properties

Just wanting to get an idea of how people are feeling about global warming and whether it would influence your decision to buy/not buy a waterfront property.

I am considering one at the moment and was wondering if anyones ideas of owning such properties have changed due to the possible future risks associated with climate change

your comments appreciated.

My property currently 2km from shore may become waterfront one day......I may need to change it to a high set design though.....:p

Cheers,

The Y-man

Just wanting to get an idea of how people are feeling about global warming and whether it would influence your decision to buy/not buy a waterfront property.

I am considering one at the moment and was wondering if anyones ideas of owning such properties have changed due to the possible future risks associated with climate change

your comments appreciated.

We're currently researching one next to the water also.
The global warming hasn't really change our view to buying.
The sea level may well rise significantly, however I believe there will be steps taken to preserve the existing infrastucture if and when it does become a problem.
Drinking water for households will be the immediate worry, and that effects both seaside and country locations

if it relates to property, it cant make sense to not want/buy waterfront property. almost everyone desires it, and will do for a fair time yet. until the insatiable demand for it ceases, then its a buy everytime (for the right price of course).

it doesnt matter what people think regards climate change and the like.....there is always so many gazillions more people who would want/buy/pay a premium for waterfront property.

when actual climatic events start causing demand to drop and values to reverse (which in my simple opinion is never), only then would i not consider waterfront.

Something that could be worth considering.

People have concentrated on coastal property in this exercise.

But it could affect the tree changers as well.

If global warming is taking place, the bushlands will become drier.

Enough said?

If I was going to buy a waterfront property for me to live in, global warming wouldn't worry me.

If I was buying it as an investment the biggest concern would be finding tenants.

Often people get attracted to the idea of having a place near the sea and buy IP's but they don't research it properly so often they can't rent them out.

Now if the water rises a meter or 2 in 70 years time, many of us wouldn't be around to worry about it....

cheers

My dream has always been to live on the ocean front. Now I've finally purchased The Beach House (settled Dec 06), and I'm so looking fwd to raising the house, doing the renos, and moving in.:D

I'm not in the least concerned about the effects of global warming on this property. Tides would have to rise about 4 metres to pose a danger, and as said above...won't happen in my life time.

In the past, the local council has constructed a rock wall, with steps going down to the beach. I think local authorities will continue to help owners protect their assets and their homes....at a cost...yes. But who can resist the vista of an ocean view!

Something that could be worth considering.

People have concentrated on coastal property in this exercise.

But it could affect the tree changers as well.

If global warming is taking place, the bushlands will become drier.

Enough said?

mmm, but hopefully some of those cool-climate areas will stay cooler on average, even if the do dry out a little. like orange, southern highlands, blue moutains. i don't fancy living in muggy, humid sydney with an extra 4-7 C in summer! will definitely need a drivable retreat that's cooler. assuming i'm not so filthy rich by then that i don't just jet off to french alps during our summer... assuming that the french alps still get snow during winter! :eek: what a horrible thought. maybe i'll have to spend my aussie summer at the indoor ski resort in dubai :rolleyes: no, no, that fantasy just doesn't have the same feel...

I know nothing about it, except that a business woman friend has just sold her beachfront unit in Cairns because of concerns she has about global warming.

She says she has heard hat the Cairns council has concerns and that there are problems already in Cairns, but is keeping things quiet so as not to scare investment and tourism dollars away.

I know it sounds like something from a movie, but having seen An Inconvenient Truth, who knows how far fetched it really is.

Don't know if it is true or not and really doesn't affect me because I can't afford seafront:D

Wylie

To be honest, I probably wouldn't buy beachfront property at or within a metre of sea level. To me it's part of a risk management equation.

What I heard from the news recently:
The sea level will increase by 60 - 65 cm by the turn of the century. But some experts say the ESTIMATE is too conservative, they think it will rise by 80 cm.

Some people think it will increase by a meter or two but I don't think that will be the case in Australia.

Also consider what it would do to the flood levels - I have an IP below the 100yr flood level in Bris. I would expect the flood level to rise in line with sea level rises.

I certainly wouldn't pay the current premium for waterfront.

This is the view from one of our RIP's on the riverfront.

It's protected from the ocean and storm surges, but she's pretty close to the water.

We aren't worried about it at all. Quite happy actually.

Attachments

• Example.gif
    Example.gif
    70.1 KB · Views: 145
water front

1 Metre increase,,,, will take 300 years at the rate it has risen over the last 200 years. So Yes the cook islands and low lying areas of the pacific may have problems . But the Properties on our coast lines are usualy min 3-4 metres above sea level due to sand and land rise.

If global warming is true, The public will continue to move from the west . As Geoff mentioned. Dry winds and lack of rain would drive people to the coast that would make water front more attractive.

And on my properties I have spear pumps (not bore water) Spear pumps mean free water anyway. With a filter on it I get to wash my car , home garden, ect for free. If you live near the sea or a big lake spear water should be available. So living near the water also has its advantages.

And on my properties I have spear pumps (not bore water) .

Isn't a spear pump, just a pump to pump water from a bore. Thus it would be bore water?

I've got no idea, but I would have thought that if everyone in a city or highly populated coastal area all decided to put a bore down, that the aquifer wouldn't last real long, and when it went dry, back to square one. On the other hand, using this water may help to save the dam supply. The aquifers would be refilled by runoff, so if city people won't catch rainwater for some strange reason, then this is another way of using the runoff.

Having said that, I use bore water too to water my lawn and stock and domestic, but I suppose I believe my water use is sustainable.

See ya's.

Back