Weatherboard cladding problems + tenant dilemma!

Morning all, after purchasing my first IP and being lucky without anything major I have my first big decision for the property.

The house is currently tenanted and they are paying rent and I don't have any hassles however their lease will expire at the end of October. They have indicated they don't want to sign a new lease but wont necessarily be leaving at the end of their lease.

The house needs some love, I have attached some photos... There is some wet rot on the garage and at the rear of the house. You can pretty much just stick your finger in and pull bits of soft timber out. There is also an asbestos extension at the rear. Overall the rest of the house is in better condition apart from the minor things inside the property.

IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1121.JPG

http://somersoft.com/forums/gallery/uploads/34482/IMG_1092.jpg
http://somersoft.com/forums/gallery/uploads/34482/IMG_1115.JPG
http://somersoft.com/forums/gallery/uploads/34482/IMG_1116.jpg
http://somersoft.com/forums/gallery/uploads/34482/IMG_1121.JPG

I have had some advice to just vinyl clad over the whole house and forget about it but that will be at least $10k. I also need to give 4 weeks notice to the cladding company to get organised and 1 week to complete the job. Alternatively I can look at getting the house repaired and painted which would require less notice.

Dilemma - Is it worth getting the cladding or am I wasting my money? Do I give the tenants notice to vacate at the end of their lease or leave them week to week and then try and arrange to get the work done once they decide they are ready to pack up and go?

Any advice to help me get through this from anyone with more experience would be appreciated.

Morning all, after purchasing my first IP and being lucky without anything major I have my first big decision for the property.

The house is currently tenanted and they are paying rent and I don't have any hassles however their lease will expire at the end of October. They have indicated they don't want to sign a new lease but wont necessarily be leaving at the end of their lease.

I don't know what the rules in NSW are, but if this was my situation (in Queensland) I would be issuing them a notice to leave at the finish of the lease (watch the time frames needed for these notices). I would do that because they might decide to vacate the week before Christmas which is NOT a good time to try to find new tenants.

We have issued leases for eight weeks or whatever time will get us over the Christmas period and into the middle of January. Maybe you can do that. It protects you but if they leave suddenly, you are left with the same problem, and might have to chase them for money, which is likely a waste of time anyway. Best result is get them out in October.

The house needs some love, I have attached some photos... There is some wet rot on the garage and at the rear of the house. You can pretty much just stick your finger in and pull bits of soft timber out. There is also an asbestos extension at the rear. Overall the rest of the house is in better condition apart from the minor things inside the property.

I have had some advice to just vinyl clad over the whole house and forget about it but that will be at least $10k. I also need to give 4 weeks notice to the cladding company to get organised and 1 week to complete the job. Alternatively I can look at getting the house repaired and painted which would require less notice.

I would be painting the house, and not spending anything on cladding. Many people hate cladding, and it simply hides the issues, and allows your problems to run rampant under the cladding.

Dilemma - Is it worth getting the cladding or am I wasting my money?
I think it is a waste of money better spent fixing the rot and painting.
Do I give the tenants notice to vacate at the end of their lease or leave them week to week and then try and arrange to get the work done once they decide they are ready to pack up and go?

Any advice to help me get through this from anyone with more experience would be appreciated.

Give them notice to leave when the lease finishes unless they are prepared to sign a lease to get them into January. Don't let them dictate terms to you that are not in your best interests.

Thanks Wylie

You make a really good point about having the house vacant over the holiday season. Thank you very much for you're response I have asked my PM to give them to either extend the lease or they will be out!

Will have to wait and see what happens and hopefully not learn my lesson the hard way!

How about getting a few quotes to replace damage boards and paint.
These would be tax deductible, I think vinyl cladding looks cheap and may not
be tax deductible.
I have two which are vinyl and the maintenance is very easy but the look
is not what I like.

It would be a shame to clad over real weatherboards if they able to be sanded filled and painted.

What sort of value and suburb are you in with this place? If its an up and coming area where old period properties are being renovated, claddinig is a big no no for future value.

Hi Tatts,

I agree that you shouldn't clad over the weatherboards. Better to repair as necessary, prep really well and then paint.

Cladding over the top may mean alterations to windows etc and will probably cost you a lot more than the $10k quoted to you by the cladding crowd.

Also, future buyers may wonder why the original weatherboards were cladded over and could cause all sorts of issues.

I suggest; start now by getting some quotes together from painters and any other trades you may require and let them know you may need them at the end of the current tenancy (but that equally you may not).

When the tenants do leave, call the preferred tradies and book them in asap.

Hope that helps.

Back