Wedding present - well, present for the groom

As the best man at my brother's weedding, I am thinking that I should get him a gif t for himself.. the Bride & Groom's wedding gift is already sorted...

Reactions from people I've seen/spoken to on the internet etc have been surprising.. number of people, adamantly asked :"WHY?" I'd want to buy him a gift... errr... I don't know, why does anyone get anyone a gift ? or tended to be quite juvenile - like "get him somethign for the barbecue or a beer mug", geez it's not his 18th :rolleyes:

The idea which popped into my head was - cufflinks & pocket square/silk handkerchuef. AS a tradie, he wont use these often, but this is also why he would not buy them for himself either... I figured on the wedding day I could tell him to put down the plastic / cheap cufflinks which come with his hire suit and offer him a pair of nice ones to wear and keep for the future, if he ever needs to wear a suti suit tie again, he can if be comfrotable that he has a couple of gentlemanly basics,a nd good ones at that.

What do others think ?

Open to suggestions

Last edited:
thanks Mark, I know you're making a funny joke, I just wish I could laugh at jokes rather than worry about reality too

I tend to take this sort of stuff seriously don't know why and am actually a bit worried

Probably a stupid question on my part

Not the norm for the best man to buy a gift but if you want a brother to brother gift I could understand that.

Think about something that is important to you both and buy him a memento of that.

It can be something fun or serious but I would make it kind of an "in joke" so that only you and he know what it represents.

HTH

Buy him a shed... and tell him it signifies a long and happy marriage :D.

On a serious note, I think a small personal item is a nice thought - just make sure it's something he would wear or use some of the time.

There's also being the best groomsman you can be. I'm sure he'd appreciate that just as much.

On a serious note, I think a small personal item is a nice thought - just make sure it's something he would wear or use some of the time.

or something that he would wear/use/appreciate in the future.

i bought my stepdaughters some beautiful jewellry for their 21st. stuff they probably wouldn't wear as they are still youngin' but they are the type of thing they would wear for their weddings and special occasions in the future.

thanks Mark, I know you're making a funny joke, I just wish I could laugh at jokes rather than worry about reality too

I tend to take this sort of stuff seriously don't know why and am actually a bit worried

Probably a stupid question on my part

You just need to relax, my brother. Take it easy. I worry about stuff a lot too, even though I know it's pointless. Just buy him a slab or a classy bottle of whiskey. He's a bloke, he'll be happy with that. If my brother bought me a real nice bottle of whiskey, I'd be stoked as!

When I was of that age it would be something modest and personal such as a silver hip flask (drinker) cigarette case and lighter (smoker) but they are a little PCincorrect today. A leather wallet?

It's a nice thought.

I think it's a lovely idea. A sentimental gift from one brother to another. Get the cuff links not alcohol or a "theme" day out before the wedding. I am all for special momentos to mark significant days. But then again I am a woman so maybe my opinion won't count :p

The cufflinks are a nice idea. I bought my groomsmen - who are both tradies - cufflinks for being in my wedding. Depending on your brother's tastes, you could get him a nice bottle of wine or spirits.

Some nice cufflinks and a silk handkerchief sound good, and a nice leather wallet would top it off!

I didn't know that traditionally, the groom buys the best man a gift :confused:
But yeah, anyone can give anyone a gift, anytime they like :D

Love the cufflinks idea - very dapper & a nice keepsake.

Do you have an old photo of the two of you from when you were younger? You could present that to him in a nice frame or get it made into a print at a photo shop?

Oh yeah, a top shelf bottle o his favourite spirit / wine etc is always appreciated.

Thanks guys...

The cufflinks might work..

Will have a 2nd look in town today at lunchtime

The reason I actually posted here, is the reactions I've had from family when I asked them and kept getting replies about how the groom is supposed to buy the best man a gift, or how cufflinks are supposedly out of fashion :confused: Like I was going to cause disruption and should just keep out of soemthing that's not for me to worry about...

9 days to go till lil bro ties the knot..

now I also have to ring the mother in law and arrange paying for some thigns the best man traddiointally pays for - this will be and uphill battle when none of us will easily accept money off the other !!

It's a shame when people try to take control of thier children's weddings :(

Who cares about traditions, the bride and groom should be free to decide everything, and meddling parents need to keep thier mouths shut, just try to smile for the photos.

I'd try to not fight with the inlaws, if they wanna pay for something, then fine.

vincenzo, I don't think anyone tried to take over anything and stick to tradaitoin over anyone's wishes.

It's just that our family is tiny. The bride's is large and theyahve more epxerience, hence they organised most of the stuff. I just anted to step yup and do the involved as much as we could snd "should" for alck fo a better word and make the day memorable

I've bought the bottle of wine used in the cermony, tomorrow I'll get the silver tray and the wine goblet which all sit on the trya with the weeding crowns used in teh cermeony also and his present.

And practice a coupel fo trdaionitl dances that I used to know the stpe to.. ...12 steps, or is it 13 ?????

I think cufflinks are a great idea too, and they certainly are in fashion right now. And I like the idea of a framed photo of you both, if you can find a nice one in time.

And who cares what tradition says.... I bought my parents a gift for my 21st birthday as a thank you for the party they put on for me.

Back