Weeds, weeds and more weeds

Hi there all, just wandering what folks here use for weed control.

I have beautiful Buffalo grass and the weeds are a constant battle. I am currently using Bin-die with not so good results.

I also have another large area at the front of my home with a few young trees. I cannot afford to buy the woodchips right now and it is a very large area where weeds grow wild. :(

Hopefully others can share their success with weed control before I pull all my hairs out :eek:

Cheers.

Hi LM.

Don't pull your hairs out, pull the weeds out.

In the past, I've used Zero (by Yates). I mix it fairly strong, but be warned, it may kill grass as well as weeds when mixed too strong. After a few weeks there will be a bare patch which I just put a bit of top soil on and then the surrounding grass does grow through the patch.

Regards
Marty

Many years ago when the new greek migrants came in to Melbourne, my Aunty came home to find Uncle (quite a character, but that another story) had cemented the whole front garden (a little terrace) only leaving some cricles around the little rose trees. He had evidently seen the new migrants doing it and thought it a brilliant solution. Needless to say, she was not quite so enamoured.

Go down to Supa Cheap . Get a few cans of degreaser in the red can.
Great stuff. $2.50 a can.
Tiny shot kills weeds.
Has about a 1 metre shot so good for killing wasps nests.
Great for starting wood fire when camping.
As well keep a can beside bed in draw. (Keep it clean:D)
A shot of that in a intruders eyes will knock them around for a while.
If they keep at you a flick of lighter turns it into a flame thrower :cool:

That sounds like it will kill any life attempting to get a foothold there for generations henceforth, Cee Gee :rolleyes:

We use No Grow 450, or whatever cheap@rse equivalent the hardware store is selling (which you have to watch or you dilute it too much). But then I kill the grass too. Scraggly patchy grass that only grows in winter or for 5 minutes after it rains isn't worth having.

I have a half-acre backyard and there's so many weeds in it we just fenced ourselves into 1/3 of it, keep the weeds down in that bit with weedkiller and elbowgrease, and slash the rest with a whippersnipper once a year just before fire season. If I could justify the expense of fencing the rest of it I'd just get a goat.

Go down to Supa Cheap . Get a few cans of degreaser in the red can.Great stuff. $2.50 a can.
Tiny shot kills weeds.
Has about a 1 metre shot so good for killing wasps nests.
Great for starting wood fire when camping.
As well keep a can beside bed in draw. (Keep it clean:D)
A shot of that in a intruders eyes will knock them around for a while.
If they keep at you a flick of lighter turns it into a flame thrower :cool:

Gee Cee, this reminds me of the guy on the movie. Big Fat Greek Wedding (I think it was) that used Windex as a cure for everything :)

I remember working for the company that made Windex when the movie came out. The President of the company said it was the best TV ad ever in the history of the company ! Best part ... it was FREE !

Hi there all, just wandering what folks here use for weed control.
I have beautiful Buffalo grass and the weeds are a constant battle. I am currently using Bin-die with not so good results.

There are two parts to your answer. One is to make the buffalo grass thicker and stronger - so no weeds get a chance. We have lots of buffalo slowly taking over the kikuyu and once it gets a hold nothing gets through (unless you scalp it with the mower). So fertilize the buffalo. Airate it with a digging fork or the machine you can hire (if you have a large yard) first.

Second, kill weeds. Roundup or Zero the weeds or use Sulphate of Ammonia which is cheap and kills the weeds (and clover) and fertilizes the grass at the same time.

Here's an answer I got when I posted a similar question on another forum.

I strongly advise against using Ammonia sulphate, or urea to green up a lawn.
They are incredibly polluting. They destroy the micro ecology of a soil. The lawn and especially a poor one will use very little of the real nitrogen content of the product. This contributes to nutrient run-off into creeks, rivers and oceans.

Hi nitrogen levels are very attractive for fungal diseases to thrive in as they need nitrogen to live. Fungal diseases are becoming very common as the warm days and cool damp evenings start. that costs you $$$

The quick easy way is to grab a herbicide in an orange box called "Bin-Die" by Amgro. It is a concentrate that you need to preferably apply with a sprayer. It is cheaper than buffalo master and can be used on buffalo, zoysia (my fav Smile) and couches. It will take out Bindies and all other weeds including clover and oxallis except the light green tufftey winter grass or (nut gras in summer). The same company does a winter grass killer containing "endothol" It is far more effective than anyother brand for nut grass and winter grass.

However weedy lawns are always a symptom of a weak lawn. Even if they look healthy, if there are weeds in huge numbers it isn't. That's why the lawn mower man isn't the culprit. weed seeds will come along in the breeze more so than from a mower. If a mower man starts doing a lawn that is weed free it means that for the first time in a while it will be getting cut short regularly. most contract mowers are set to 10mm. This means more open soil is exposed and that means that seeds laying dormant or blowing in will germinate.

Now with regular mowing after a while the lawn gets used to it, but if it is only being fed intermittently or once a year in early spring it will not benefit. also too much water and fertiliser will create a weak lawn, even if it looks lush and green Wink so weeds still grow and the mower man is still blamed.

But if you start a longer term project of getting a lawn strong this all changes. Less more often for feeding is the rule of thumb. Some folks feed once or twice a year and that is like us sculling back a bottle of vitamin pills and saying, "righto, that's me healthy for the year". I am not a fan of synthetic polluting fertilisers. yuck Evil or Very Mad All through winter lots of seasol, powerfeed, molasses ,and best of all, blood and bone every 6 weeks or even 4. Use Olsens Greenbio 2 times a year too, very good stuff;) Using fetiliser on cold soils is a W.O.F.T.A.M Once the soil warms look at using a lawn fertiliser every 6 weeks very lightly. The Munns ones are great because the are more organic containing piggy poo and some bentonite clay products Smile Buying these also supports a true family business that is Australian. Baileys 3.1.1.1 plus is a high grade low phosphate lawn fert too. Get some zeolite on there too. this stuff only needs to go on once and it is there for ever. about $25. It traps and holds nutrients and slows leaching. It is natural too Smile all this makes the lawn the boss and not the weeds

There are other big brands that are popular that I don't recommend but if I say why that is slander I guess Sad Avoid gimmicky named cheap fertilsers at all costs, lets just say that Smile go as organic as possible. Why, because it isn't about feeding the lawn or plants for that matter. it's about feeding the soil. Healthy soil= healthy lawn/plants and that = less, to bugger-all weeds.

weed and feeds, weedsprays/herbicides are like when you have a cold and you have some cold and flu tablets to cover over it. All smoke and mirrors Smile It won't get rid of the real cause of the sickness. (Does that make sense?) It's a quick fix that doesn't address why it happened nor prevent it happening again. Get the soil healthy! That fixes it. and it really isn't hard

Now back to the quick fix smoke and mirrors spray
Some basic rules for spraying to maximise your costs and results.

Plants don't photosynthesise in the dark. weed sprays work through the leaves via the little mouth parts (for want of some description) called stomates. They have to absorb the herbicide through there to work. So spray in the early morning so the herbicide is absorbed up throughout the day. It won't happen at night! and by morning the herbicide will have oxidised and weakened to the point it may not be effective.

Don't mow the lawn then spray. There will be bugger-all weed leaf to absorb the herbicide.

Give the lawn/soil a feed and get those bloody weeds growing all soft and green. That way a week or two later they will primed to absorb lots of herbicide.

When you spray add two things to the mixture before you start.
1. a surfactant. That is something added to herbicides and insecticides that makes it stick to the hairy or waxey leaves. Dishwashing liquid is a good alternative for the home gardener. you only need two or three drops, literally. It won't be enough at all to create a bubble bath.
2. use a small dash of seasol or a teaspoon of urea. (Seasol is the better option Wink) It isn't enough to feed the weed but it does trick it into readily absorbing the herbicide. it amplifies it's effects.

Make sure it doesn't rain the day you spray. That will wash it all off the leaf and that isn't cool. Make sure your retic doesn't come on either. If it is dry for a few days after you spray, even better

remember a light feed with a quality fertiliser (not what the pimpley rep tells you is good) that is as close to organic as possible, every 6 weeks will give you a win.

When chosing a weed spray for Buffalo, look at the ingredients in small type at the bottom of the lable. If it has "Dicamba" in it, it's not cool for buffalo

Please don't increase the concentration of the herbicide because it won't be to flash on your lawn. It is a fine balance of what works and doesn't work. Some products will become ineffective with too much or too little so just follow the directions on the label

If the area isn't that large, my husband and I find that simply pulling them out by hand before they seed usually does the trick for a while. Don't leave the area bare though, or it'll always be sprouting something. Good luck !!

Second, kill weeds. Roundup or Zero the weeds or use Sulphate of Ammonia which is cheap and kills the weeds (and clover) and fertilizes the grass at the same time.

Roundup or zero is glyphosate and it will kill everything. It would be difficult to kill a weed and not get some on the grass as well. if you kill the grass you will just get more weeds coming up in the bare spot. Don't use it on your lawn.

There is a heap of herbicides that will kill broadleaf weeds and not harm grass at all. Just off the top of my head, the ones I use in broadacre cropping are MCPA, amine, 24-D, dicamba, ally, starane,....there are heaps.

It would cost me just a few dollars worth of chemical to kill an acre of weeds, but no doubt city people buying small amounts in retail stores would get a 2000% markup or more, so not sure what you blokes would have to pay. Just ask an expert what to buy. The herbicide will kill the weeds and not the lawn, it would only take a few minutes to apply, and for goodness sake, don't use roundup on your lawn.

Nitrogen fertilizer or any organic fertilizer would also benefit the grass. Grass is a bigger user of nutrients than most weeds, so if the grass has enough juice under it, it will compete better. Organic fertilizer would be much more expensive though and you would have to use 20 times as much.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Here's an answer I got when I posted a similar question on another forum.

"I strongly advise against using Ammonia sulphate, or urea to green up a lawn.
They are incredibly polluting. They destroy the micro ecology of a soil. The lawn and especially a poor one will use very little of the real nitrogen content of the product. This contributes to nutrient run-off into creeks, rivers and oceans.

Hi nitrogen levels are very attractive for fungal diseases to thrive in as they need nitrogen to live. Fungal diseases are becoming very common as the warm days and cool damp evenings start. that costs you $$$"

That's all true Shady - but I tried it this year for the first time ever - and got fantastic thick dark green, have-to-mow-it-every-week lawn.

The quick easy way is to grab a herbicide in an orange box called "Bin-Die" by Amgro. It is a concentrate that you need to preferably apply with a sprayer. It is cheaper than buffalo master and can be used on buffalo, zoysia (my fav Smile) and couches. It will take out Bindies and all other weeds including clover and oxallis except the light green tufftey winter grass or (nut gras in summer). The same company does a winter grass killer containing "endothol" It is far more effective than anyother brand for nut grass and winter grass.

I can't agree here though. If you read this you'd want to be really careful:
http://www.amgrow.com.au/msds/Bin-Die 2008.pdf

Anywhere where you can buy these products in bulk cheap ?

You don't need "bulk" as you mix the concentrate in water and dilute it a lot.

You can buy generic glyphosate at places like Big W - its about $9 for 1 litre of the concentrate. And Yes it will kill the grass too as TC said if you put it on the grass.

OK - here are 2 pics from front part of the house that I need to keep weeds out !!!!!

I used my whipper sniper to trim all the weeds over the weekend however need to find a long term solution to stop/ suppress all the weeds in this front section.

Please keep those ideas coming !!!!

Attachments

• Cabinet 006.jpg
    Cabinet 006.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 190
  • Cabinet 007.jpg
    Cabinet 007.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 169
Back