West Footscray - good streets/areas?

Hi all,

just trying to get the lay of the land so to speak of West Footscray.
For those familiar with the area, what are the best streets/pockets to keep an eye on? and conversely, which areas would you avoid?

looking more at the stand-alone houses, cal bungs etc.
it doesn't seem like the suburb to have big block sizes like old ormond/bentleigh etc?

aware that this suburb might have already taken off so to speak, but still interested in the area none-the-less

thanks!

This suburb is divided by Sunshine road. The South of it is more industrial. From what I have read, good pocket is within Ashley street, Barkly street, Essex street and Summerhill road. I think the price has gone up already but it is potential to growth given its gentrification on the way. Would love to hear the thoughts from other members about this suburb.

imho...the "block" bounded by Summerhill, Essex, Richelieu & Suffolk St.

when I use to live in St Albans, Tottenham was one of the most dangerous stations.

This suburb is divided by Sunshine road. The South of it is more industrial. From what I have read, good pocket is within Ashley street, Barkly street, Essex street and Summerhill road. I think the price has gone up already but it is potential to growth given its gentrification on the way. Would love to hear the thoughts from other members about this suburb.

Agreed. I grew up in West Footscray.
And I'd say these days north of Barkly st up to the Suffolk st border are all pretty decent.
Between Barkly and the railway - a couple of the streets that run off Barkly aren't bad. Clive st is pretty nice, but I'd say away from Rupert st. Loads of old 70/80's style block of flats.
The other side of the railway was always seen as the industrial area and in my biased opinion, not as good.
My choice - Extended block between Ashley, Barkly, Elphinstone, Essex.

Last edited:
North of Sunshine Road is the main rule, although there are nice houses in the southern section as well, close to Tottenham Station, where you're more likely to grab something decently priced.

For the northern section, you'll be needing at least $650K for unrenovated period houses now on good sized blocks, depending on the state of the house, could go up to $700K or more. For renovated, I'd be budgeting around $800K. Lots of competition in the area now, gentrification has well and truly occured. Generally, the blocks are around the 400-500sqm mark.

Church Street is probably the best street of the suburb, and the house sale prices there speak for themselves.

Between Barkly and the railway - a couple of the streets that run off Barkly aren't bad. Clive st is pretty nice, but I'd say away from Rupert st. Loads of old 70/80's style block of flats.

I think you'd find that the section between Barkly St and the railway line is now a pretty pricey pocket due to it being walking distance to Tottenham and West Footscray stations. Also, Rupert Street has quite a lot of nice period houses, there's a few apartment blocks but if you buy away from those you should be sweet.

thanks everyone!

there's one on Richeliue but there seems to be a disused? factory 1 or 2 houses away on the corner of Wellington, and appears to be empty block behind, so i'm a little concerned about inevitable density that will occur on vacant/large blocks.

is that a valid concern or not really an issue? i'm thinking it's best to try and buy in a section of established period homes, ie a nice streetscape... (aware this will come at a premium).

thanks again!

EDIT: interesting that you picked Church st 'tone1', outside the "block" but looks like there's quite a few parks around.

what about the pocket of View, Suffolk, Summerhill and Essex... interesting orientation to the streets.

Last edited:
hi adam,

i don't particularly think we're on the topic of Footscray proper or apartments.
this is about houses in West foostcray, and specific areas/streets that have more appeal.

perhaps would be best to start a separate thread

Have been looking around this area, think have already missed the boat. As everyone has already discussed the area west of Gordon street, North of the Railway line, South of about Suffolk Street (means still walking distance to train station) and East of Richelieu Street is a great area with nice streets, parks and a lot of gentrification.

A couple of results from today.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-west+footscray-119689199
Passed in at 640k. Reckon probably sold for around this.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-west+footscray-119714919
Sold 760k.

http://www.domain.com.au/property/sold/house/vic/west-footscray/?adid=2011901225&sp=1
Sold 645k.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-west+footscray-119649615
Sold 765k.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-west+footscray-119705503
Sold 829k. Crowd of over 100 at this one. Great spot would have loved to pick it up but went beyond our budget very quickly. You would be in for over a million dollars for a liveable house. Appeared plenty of developer/builder interest too but they seemed to drop out after it went over 800k.

Overpriced but I really like this place

24 Stanley Street

Yeah looks nice. You start to get out that distance it is getting a bit far from the train station for PT options unfortunately. The one that was passed in sold for 665k.

For 3 bed houses on 350-450m2 of land you are looking at about the following at the moment it seems.
So unrennovated approx 650k.
Liveable rennovated approx 760-800k
Rennovated period approx 850k+

Yeah looks nice. You start to get out that distance it is getting a bit far from the train station for PT options unfortunately. The one that was passed in sold for 665k.

From what I can tell (and from someone I know living in the area), Tottenham and West Footscray stations have ample parking which does not fill up in the early hours of the morning. Short driving distance to the stations is still good for this area, whereas in other inner city areas parking at a station is a nightmare.

I've noticed a sharp increase in price guides in this northern block of West Footscray/southern Maidstone in comparison to spring last year. Vendors are wanting more.

I've noticed a sharp increase in price guides in this northern block of West Footscray/southern Maidstone in comparison to spring last year. Vendors are wanting more.

Noticed that as well. Feel as though Maidstone has taken off in recent months...One auction I went to in Norfolk St recently went for $720k. Thought that was a massive result.

I was looking at that house on Norfolk Street, what a rip off (good sized block for that street, house was rough around the edges yet it sold for a fully renovated price). Originally advertised at $540K+ from memory. People have moved very quickly to that section of Maidstone whereas the northern section (north of Ballarat Road) is still significantly cheaper.

Very bad time to buy in these parts I think.

I was looking at that house on Norfolk Street, what a rip off (good sized block for that street, house was rough around the edges yet it sold for a fully renovated price). Originally advertised at $540K+ from memory. People have moved very quickly to that section of Maidstone whereas the northern section (north of Ballarat Road) is still significantly cheaper.

Very bad time to buy in these parts I think.

I also went to 1 open for inspection and thought the property would sell well. However, 720k for such a small block in Maidstone is a rip off as what you said. People are going crazy about West Footscray and Maidstone. I don't think I can find anything decent here for 600k-700k. Perhaps I need to wait but not sure to when as house prices keeps climbing up.

Back