Westpac - not sure if I should laugh or cry

Hi Pablo

That email obviously came from the Westpac Fairy................absolutely nil tolerance to that model.

I agree would be nice if common sense prevailed .................but alas

ta
rolf

Hi Pablo

That email obviously came from the Westpac Fairy................absolutely nil tolerance to that model.

I agree would be nice if common sense prevailed .................but alas

ta
rolf

You're right on the money, Rolf.
Wish I'd not put the previous one through them.
No Christmas cards for Westpac!

One door closes ... Another opens

NAB have seen the light and continue to support me.
Thanks NAB and a big thank you to Amit at Investors Direct.
Conditional approval in hand. Valuation ordered.

Thanks Paul. Sadly, despite escalation to BDM and above, they still can't find anyone who can do the over ride.
I'm lodging app with another lender today as a backup.
I have one more fixed loan to break before June 30, so even if Westpac get their act into gear, I can use the other app to cover the other one.
I'm convinced they try these tactics on just to wear people down. Slowly. In the hope they will just give up on the whole re-financing thing.
They underestimate my persistence and resilience.

Telstra seem to have a similar tactic. They underestimate me as well....:rolleyes:

Westpac are changing their rules and policy on a daily basis. This is just another attempt at not doing a loan. They've increased rates, lowered LVR, ditched RAMS for brokers. ( one of our favourites) However a few of the non bank lenders have dropped some rates today and ANZ have an appetite at the moment, as do ABL.

LMAO......I better get rid of my Westpac shares then.....if they are relying on a computer system for credirt evaluations...we are in serious trouble.

I for on despise Westpac....they are Oxygen bandits...and have become really inflexible.....I have a long memory.

On a positive note....I still can find plenty of funders who will do 95% plus LMI capitalised upto 97%!

I owe...I owe....I owe....off to work I go! (yes it is corny...but could not help it!):p

Do St George fall under the same rules as Westpac now?

I met with both St George and NAB early in the week. NAB approved on glancing at paperwork (I didn't officially apply) whereas St George have to wait for my tax assessment to come back.

Yes St George have the same rules as Westpac. I've been told this is part of the problem as Westpac inherited $5 Billion of commercial debt from them. The other rumor is both West and CBA have limited ability to access more funds.

Rob your lucky having a good NAB experience as all I hear is huge grief.

Its very hard times for borrowing these days, ironic that Real Estate ihas proven to be the safest investment in these horrific times. The stock market forget it !

Yes St George have the same rules as Westpac. I've been told this is part of the problem as Westpac inherited $5 Billion of commercial debt from them. The other rumor is both West and CBA have limited ability to access more funds.

Rob your lucky having a good NAB experience as all I hear is huge grief.

Its very hard times for borrowing these days, ironic that Real Estate ihas proven to be the safest investment in these horrific times. The stock market forget it !

Yes this is comming out in the half year and quarterly profit updates from the banks.
Westpac & CBA grabbed market share early in the recovery stage of the GFC, NAB (as usual) was behind the eight ball and is now playing catch up.

I hold shares in Westpac, CBA & NAB, personally i wouldnt sell shares in Westpac just because of this i am more concerned with NAB.
At least with property going up the loans written earlier will now have more 'equity cover'.
NAB is coming to the party later and is also operating at a lower margin (hence the lower mortgage rates).

Even though WBC and STG are soon to operate under the one licence, there is still a fair bit of spread in some areas of credit policy, and will still be for a little while im sure.

much the same as Bankwest and CBA still have points of diff, STG and WBC do to. Westpac is still useless for self employed people, because they dont have a practical understanding of retained earnings etc etc.

There is a general tightening for sure, but for the moment at least there is still some form of competition in product and risk mix.

ta
rolf

I was looking at some output the other day whereby the probability of default for a given combination of borrower variables got worse when the income went above a certain number.
I find it fascinating some of the correlations that these algorithms find.

About ten years ago, we had a broker who used to work for a particular lender, and was aware of the following two items, and we were able to change our application accordingly:

1) A mobile phone number, as opposed to landline, in the "employer's phone number" field was one of the things that dropped your score. So we got hubby's boss's permission to list his home number (he had no business landline).

2) Lack of a home fax number also dropped your score, apparently, so we bought a virtual fax number to list on our applications. (You could also use a friend or relative's fax number.)

Back to the increasing probability of default and higher income, I think there is actually some logic to that, when you consider the extremes. If you're dirt poor, and you borrow $10 from a friend, that $10 is a big deal to you, and to your friend, and provided you're honourable, you'll ensure that $10 is paid back.

If you earn $10K per week, and borrow $10 from a colleague, there's a good chance that you'll take a more casual approach to repaying the $10, because the $10 is pretty meaningless to both parties. It's not that you're unwilling to pay back the $10, but it's so trivial to both parties that you completely forget.

I'm far more likely to overlook a $20 bill than a $20K one. :eek: The $20 bill could easily drop off my radar due to its relatively low significance. :eek: I'm not saying that's reasonable or justifiable, I'm just saying that human nature being what it is, the smaller the debt is relative to your financial capacity, the more likely it is that you'll get a bit casual about it.

It seems to be the major banks are all moving to this credit scoring system. They run through the application and score it before it evens gets to the credit department. In my experience if it is rejected by the scoring system, the loan is declined, this goes on your credit report, very bad, and then you cannot get that loan across the line with that particular lender. So it is very important to find out why it failed the scoring systems so that it can explained when you apply for your next loan.

Back