What an amazing sausage factory

Well I felt it in my bones tonight, it was that time again, when I'd zip along and quietly attend a free property gathering / seminar, something that I've been doing with this 'group' now for well over 8 years or so. I'm constantly chastised for not having taken the plunge with them.....little do they know I'm swimming out in the deep end.

I sat there and listened to 3 speakers from the group....and what a diverse lot they are. Branch Manager was from Perth, his fellow Branch Manager was from South Africa, the club's mortgage broker from South Africa and one of the senior Support members from Zimbabwe.....I'm thinking hello.....is this some sort of "krugerand kangaroo klub" or what ?? Must be a Perth thing.

Anyway, I started doing some sums on the revenues generated by this little club. Apparently they've just celebrated their 10,000th sale. 6.6% commission is what their literature said was what they skimmed. Average price I reckoned was 250K per sale....plucked out of the air. I thought hmmmm.....that's 2.5B of sales, give or take a few hundred mill, generating 165MM of commission over the past 12 or 13 years. Nice if you can get it. Not a little club at all. So that's where all of these "free" leasing co-ords, inspectors, researchers etc etc come from.

I suppose it's a form of frustration and jealously really that I post this, as they are doing what I indeed would hope to do, but fear is holding me back. Being able to make a living out of property, and squeezing the newbies for everything they've got, but in the nicest, most educational manner with a lovely smile on my face.

I commented to the wife how some of the questions tendered from the audience were outrageously simple, and the way the speakers easily batted them away, having heard the same mundane non-probing queries over and over and over again. Churning through the herd I like to call it. Get a whole bunch of financially illiterate folk in a room, show them the ol' super and pension won't cut it, property does and ol' faves like it doubles every 7 to 10 years....and therefore.....please sign up your finance enquiry form and then buy one of our stock, just like these successful chaps in the red sleeves.

Seriously....they're lined up by the end of the talk and ready to go. Staggering !!! The best thing is, there's no heavy pressure, no hard sell, no suits, no ties, everyone involved has no lawful qualifications, and yet they are all ready to answer every conceivable question and feed you through their sausage machine.

There was so much from the presentation I fundamentally disagreed with, but you get swept up in the flow of things and before you know it, that's it and that's all she wrote. Time for a break and how are you going with that Club Loan form....need any help filling it out ?? We can't help you if you don't sign up. Ah no thanks - just came for a chat and to mingle with fellow investors. Right then...moving right along.

The star performer tonight was a 7 year experienced Support member who had only bought one type of property, and had managed to make a modest return. Paid 1.8 smeared over the 7 years. Now 2.3. Up by 0.47M. Dunno 'bout you, but for 7 years, I didn't think that set the world on fire. Good luck to him anyhoo. Unfortunately, interspersed between his personal story was a slide every other slide, of the benefits of why buying property through their system was the only way to go. I thought - WOW - if that was supposed to clinch the deal, ya lost me right there.

The other thing I noticed was the absolute devotion to "the system and Club" by their followers. A couple of months in, and suddenly you can become the support member, fielding any and all questions from the public. The amount of young starry eyed couples was encouraging and yet daunting at the same time.

Anyway, they're making a good living off it, and good luck to them. They've obviously withstood a few court challenges so far, and things look swimmingly for them as they move through the fields of investors waiting to be harvested. I just pity the poor sods who collectively have overpaid 165MM for their properties. But I'm reminded to ignore that and concentrate on the bigger picture. Apparently it's all excellent value. Indeed. :)

Managed to have a chat with a few, but the "sign up chaps" are interspersed with the badged ones, so you can't tell who's who. It's a bit like a public auction, you could be bidding against a real person or a tree, with someone up front calling all the shots. I discovered there's nothing more ignorant than someone who's bought 3 off the plan high rise units on the Gold Coast in the last 2 years and never been there to see them. Trust the club....they do it all for you.

I need a good strong cup of tea and a lie down after having all of that property knowledge wash over me. Phew...

Daz,

Surely there are other investors over there in Perth that you can talk to?, or do you just go for a laugh?

This particular group or one very similar visited Christchurch, NZ. Like Dazz I went along to a few of their meetings and came to the conclusion that the investor pays hugely for his/her own laziness/sense of safety in investing. These free services offered by the club have to be paid for somehow.

Charlotte 30

Likely these starry eyed people will move ahead in their lives financially, just that they aren't going to be skooled by a benevolent older uncle or some such thing, the worst thing perhaps is that they never wake up to how much better you can do which isn't that bad compared to the sleeping masses.

In trading you get truck loads of such groups and people, 5k+ for a weekend seminar and the best thing I can say about the information is that it might not harm you, and you might get some motivation as well.

The real genius I think is in being general enough that you can never be pinned in terms of achieved results of your students, in trading this would be a field like 'trading psychology' where there are some real sham artists on the Aus circuit. In general this would be a 'life coach' or 'motivational speaker', these guys can sell their oil for a lifetime and not be pinned down, that is real genius imo. So never get involved in any activity where simple maths can reveal the elements of your oil I reckon, just offer general advice and motivation and sting the suckers for what you can take.

dazz when is this club on next? i wanna fly over for the weekend, and buy 10 of them. sounds like a great idea. NOT!

the funny thing is when you meet these poeple who are buying under these regimes, they think they know it all and try to preach to you. bit like amway.

guess all we can do is feel sorry for them and hope they can see the light.
:)

Don't disagree with your views Daz but I guess we must all guard against smugness and hubris.

It's easy to be critical of the less informed/experienced/educated. But perhaps not all that long ago we we're all like the starry eyed newbies. What has differentiated you from the lazy and gullible herd being churned is some critical and independent thinking, motivation and determination.

Whilst there's no moral imperative on you to share your experience with others...I think you'll be doing the nation some good if you do.

off soapbox now... ;)

Cheers
N.

I think he was being critical of the cloaked marketing machine more than the attendees.

I just got a newsletter from this crew. Their head poo-ba is floating around the world on various cruise liners and safaris, all on the spoils of $165m.

I would say good luck to him, however I fear it is deceptively gained money.

Perhaps some of the attendees should join the coffee club. they are a non profit organisation (well some costs are used to cover overheads etc) with the mission of waking you up.

These kkk guys might be making $$$.....

But would you be their friend Dazzling? live in the same burb? do coffee with them in the most popular local cafe? have their kids be best friends with yours?

The trouble with guys like this is, eventually, the final group of clients is going to get stung badly................the thing that will stop da boyz from changing their ways, is that the opportunity cost of doing what they did has been too high....cos they are too old to do anything but what they already know.....the confidence trick....though some might want to call it motivational seminar today.......

It is simpler than that. As a newbie you are looking for safety and that is what these groups appear to provide. They do all the work for you and you don't have to think. Hence my earlier post about paying for your own laziness. Doing your own research takes courage and determination to constantly ask dumb questions. (read that to mean looking like an idiot at times). By asking the questions you will get to the basics and give yourself more confidence in the process. The important part is the Agenda of the person giving advice. Are they investors or are they just trying to sell you something.
Charlotte 30;)

Good story Daz

Reminds of an acquaintance of mine who proudly told me about the brand new unit she just bought while attending a seminar, which she was invited to via a telephone call at home one night. With all manner of alarm bells ringing, I asked a few pertinent questions, and lo and behold the company running the seminar was none other than Westpoint! (This was a couple of years ago).

Anyway, this person didn't lose their life savings like some, but it's funny how some people are easily led...

Bloss

I suppose it's a form of frustration and jealously really that I post this, as they are doing what I indeed would hope to do, but fear is holding me back.

Dazza, what do you have to fear. Your portfolio holdings and net worth would be tenfold and beyond those presenters - but maybe that could be the root of the issue for you?

Rich people play the money game to win & Poor people play the money game to not lose.

Do you see the difference? Poor people play the money game on the DEFENSE rather than on the OFFENSE. If you were to play any sport or any game strictly on the defensive, what would be the chances of your winning the game? - SLIM and NONE!

Yet that's exactly how most people play the money game. Their primary concern is seeking survival and security instead of creating wealth and abundance.

Rich people focus on opportunities & Poor people focus on obstacles!

It comes down to the age-old question, "Is the glass half empty or half full?" We're not talking positive thinking here, we're talking about your habitual perspective. Poor people make choices based upon fear. Their minds are constantly scanning for what could go wrong in any situation. Their primary mind-set is "What if it doesn't work?" or, more often, "It won't work."

Middle-class people are slightly more optimistic. Their mind-set is "I sure hope this works."

Rich people take responsibility for the results in their lives and act upon the mind-set, "It will work because I'll make it work."

Rich people expect to succeed.

Success is 80% Mindset & 20% strategy - From your 9 years of experience I'm pretty certain you have the 20% down pat.

Maybe some food for thought - hope this helps.

Maybe the sausage factory thing works on the "safety in numbers principle". Buoys the novice/one-time-only investor and gives them confidence (maybe I should have called ti the "lemming principle instead").

Back