What are you serving for Christmas Dinner?

Hi all,

Getting into the spirit of Christmas in our household and planning our Christmas night dinner at our place.

We will have 5 adults & 5 kids and I like to make it a very special event.

The plan so far is ..........

Starters

Watermelon cut into Christmas shapes.

Dip & turkish pide.

Smoked salmon with cream cheese & dill on biccies.

Lollies

Main

Ham
Turkey
Chicken
Oysters
Prawns
Smoked salmon

Garden salad
Pasta sald
Bok Choy salad

Desert

Sticky date pudding (if I can find a suitable recipe)
Custard & icecream

Coffee, biccies & slice

I love planning Christmas! Let me know if you think I should include anything else. What is on your menu?

Forgot to add that we will also be supplying drinks.

AA

I am having 14 adults...

We are having:

Dips and cheese etc

Antipasto Platter
BBQ Prawns

Turkey
Ham
Lamb
Roast vegies
Parsnip Croquettes
salad

family Jelly Dish - Bit like a triffle.
Christmas Pudding - Custard and brandy butter
fresh Fruit

Coffee, Tea
Mince Tarts
Shortbread

Garlic roast chicken, and depending on the weather either coleslaw and potato salad or roast veggies. Might make an apple pie or something for desert.

We'll have 4 adults and 3 kids, but one kid isn't on solids yet, one eats like a bird and the other just cleans up anything the bird won't eat.

We're going the cold meat and salad route this year. Quite often it's abnormal - last year it was barbecue breakfast and the year before it was out in the bush.

I think the year before that I had a 'normal' turkey/ham roast lunch.

i just turn up to eat ... although i usually do the leg ham and take it over.

this year junior and i are also decorating a gingerbread house for the all day nibbles.

christmas dinner is usually cold meats and salad with trifle for pudding. i love the idea my parents had, which was everyone bought a salad and they provided a huge ham, a dozen different types/styles breads and half a dozen different mustards/pickles - although the christmas do's were usually around 20-30 people. everyone just nibbled ham on bread while drinking and chatting.

the drinking and chatting is the best bit.

Most of my family are either AWOL (or dead) this Christmas so my parents decided to gatecrash our house instead. Works out well enough ... we get to avoid chaos at the in-laws and the little ones get to play with Grandpa.

Prawns, oysters, scallops, abalone, King George whiting and...

a shipping containerful of lobsters. :)

Our family of fishermen are high and dry with the best catch in years. China has pulled the plug on exports. :(

I can honestly say I don't know what we are doing on Christmas day this year. For the past 6 or so years we've pretty much done the hard work at our place. This year I said "nup, had enough".

Thinking maybe a local pub even.... have to do some research.

I saw puddings in Coles today for $24 !!! For a smallish one!!! :eek:

I'm not a big lover of the huge hams, so that's money saved as well. If we do it at home it will just be roast chicken, homemade sausage rolls (using stuffing mix), salads, fresh rolls, a stollen and some icecream.

To me it seems like July.
Not Xmas time at all.
It just seems so strange to see Xmas decorations out in the summertime.

I'm used to Xmas being cold and snowy.

My siblings/ families and I havent quite worked out our new family traditions since my father died and mother got severe dementia 3 years ago.. christmas day always revolved around them and their house/ traditions etc. So, we are still experimenting.
But one new tradition is a BBQ duck noodle salad, which I made a couple of years ago and is back by popular demand. I got the recipe from the Good Weekend, and its fabulous.
And one old tradition, which fortunately my sister in law is working on, is the Christmas pudding. My mum's used to make the best Christmas pudding anywhere...... and my sister in law is a good enough cook to be getting close to perfecting the recipe. Served with brandy, brandy cream, brandy custard and icecream. Its a heart attack just waiting to happen - totally divine.

Pen

I will be backpacking in Vietnam on Christmas Day. Carefully planned that way :)

No idea what I will be eating but I bet it will be good!

I do the whole mad catastrophe. Took over the role from my mother. Big turkey, glazed ham, roast pork, plum pudding (my auntie makes that). Luckily I've got two ovens.
It's all totally illogical, but my little kids love it - as I did when I was their age.
Had 20 or so people last year. The numbers only firmed up a day or two out, so Christmas Eve I had to knock up a table extension. Ths year, there will be more people, so I'm going to need an extension to the extension.
Thankfully, that room we eat in stays cools in summer.

Attachments

• _178.jpg
    _178.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 108
I'm 'skipping' Christmas this year and will be spending it on a beautiful island - the money I saved on not buying presents for anyone but my partner will be spent on cocktails and massages instead! :D

JK

Back