what are your best cleaners for grime, mould, doors, benchtops, bathrooms.

what are your best cleaners for

heavy grime on tiles near oven,

mould,

doors and walls,

kitchen white laminate benchtops and cabinets,
bathrooms

filthy toilet that looks like it hasnt been cleaned in years

metal kitchen sinks.

has anyone tried steam iron for ironing shirts on hangers.

by the way choice magazine rates domestos as best for bathrooms but ajax spray as best for moulds

thanks.

francine.

Last edited:
I like the Woolies brand "Domestic", it is the same as Domestos but heaps cheaper. I put it in a spray bottle to clean my shower, great on mould.

I like exit mould
i always by the store brand domestos

For ovens, can't remember what it is called, but in a box, about $7 ouch, you put soloution into zip lock bag and place oven trays and leave for a few hours.
I put both trays in and used some soloution inside the oven. Came up a treat, no mess, bit expensive, but i'd use it again as i hate cleaning ovens!

what are your best cleaners for

heavy grime on tiles near oven,

mould,

doors and walls,

kitchen white laminate benchtops and cabinets,
bathrooms

filthy toilet that looks like it hasnt been cleaned in years

metal kitchen sinks.

My missus usually does a good job!:D

someone was going to say it...:D
Banter...

After hearing how good domestos was i finally bought some and find it works really well for cleaning. It is very powerful however, and even though I thought I was being really careful I have wrecked two t shirts while cleaning. Now that works out very expensive.

which is your favourite cleaners around the home.

thanks for all that hope to hear more.

yes i hate it when i ruin clothing with bleach or soemthing like that.

francine

I really like Shower Power. Domestos is too stinky and really upsets my skin. In a situation like a new house purchase initial clean up I have used Easy Off Bam (with rubber gloves). Spray it on, leave it to do its magic, and wash it off.

I have also used bi-carb and vinegar, and try to use eco friendly stuff but sometimes you do need more grunt.

I do have Enyo which also works well.

Toby Steamer and I were friends and it worked okay on shirts and fantastic for trousers, but really hard to get the hang of as it is nothing like using an iron. I sold it and bought an iron that creates steam without the plate getting hot for ironing trousers without making them shiny (have not used it yet though).

I loved Toby Steamer for curtains though, so much easier than moving them along the board, just steam them in situ.

what cleaners do you find effective on different areas.

when i was googling about cleaning there was an article top 5 handy hints general cleaning tips and i think it mentioned venitions.

yes it says to put them outside against a verticle wall and sponge and hose them.

it also says for grimy tiles that after scrubbing them to wipe with furniture polish that it makes the grime hard to stick to them and easier to clean , i wonder if that would work for the venitians also. I thought polish or oils would make dust stick more but perhaps it makes grime stick less. who knowns.
its an interesting article anyway.

francine.

i have done a bit of cleaning for ip and home , i use exit mould for showers and the initial scrub out, then bleach to kill bacteria, and then suger soap to break down grease and grime, i use half of two ie bleach/sugersoap for tiles, etc
best scrubbing brush is the soft stile domestic broom, this way i can do large areas very quickly.

Exit Mould for shower mould, Jif for surfaces that won't be damaged by it, sugar soap if cleaning for painting, and and ammonia cleaner or bleach for general tile cleaning.

GP

Just used easy off Bam oven cleaner. My oven is embarrassing and disgusting! Everytime I use it, the thing is smoking so much the smoke alarms goes off.

It did the job really well. I tried the bicarb and vinegar plus elbow grease way and it did not work for the oven.

For my glass shower screen. I use the bicarb on a sponge and water, rub the glass down and rinse off. It's works better than the other shower power stuff.

BTW francine, I know that you would LOVE this site.

http://www.savingmum.com.au/

If you sign up as a member (free) you can access the laundry ideas. There is a 'recipe' for laundry gel. I have made this and it is really good.

which cleaners are best for different areas.

i am very grateful and dont mind hearing more.

all the tips and sites have been handy and i'm very grateful. i bought and tried some products and feel like a commercial because they did clean filthy bathroom and kitchen areas easily. dont like using strong chemicals but maybe as a once off i will and grateful for the warning to not damage my clothing. i would hate that.

I am a bit tempted to either do a bit at a time, or to get a cleaner in for one day .
thanks again.

francine.

Last edited:
The toilet in my old PPoR was black inside when I got the place, only way to get it off seemed to be chipping it off with something sharp and pointy ... at one point I scooped the water out and filled it with a bottle of CLR and left it overnight, which worked but didn't get the stuff above the waterline off. I really don't want to know how it got so bad it filled up with what is essentially fossilised poop - the water there was coming from a limestone underground tank before I got polytanks so it must have been amazingly high in minerals. Be warned, fossilised poop doesn't smell at all. Add CLR and it releases aaaaaaaaaaaaaall the years of locked-in stench.

Gave up in the end and replaced the damn bowl. Cheaper and faster too.

which cleaners are best for various areas.

this one did not have fossilised poop but it had alot of build up of urine . i used different bam and ajax products for degreasing kitchen and domestos and a rough metal scourer and it did come up perfect. i dont like strong chemicals but they seem to do the trick.

francine.

What gets me is how people let their houses get so disgusting the next people that come along have to have this kind of discussion in the first place :confused:

Back