what do u consider retirement ?

From this thread

An interesting point was raised by Brains :

So are you saying that everyone that has left their 9-5 fulltime job and started a business has retired?

"Retired from working full time" is a totally different concept to "retired".

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Aceyducey
Brains,

Used to own & run businesses..now retired from working full-time.

Am still a director and active in our personal businesses, retirement to me doesn't mean lying around doing nothing, it means doing what I choose when I choose which I now do (except for that persistent government paperwork stuff like Tax & GST) - of course there are still financial limits

Cheers,

Aceyducey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acey asked for a new topic (rather than hijack the shower base thread.)

So Id like to know - what does everyone consider retired ?

Good question X

To me, it will be having more choice to do what I want when I want, and enough money to do it..

If that means I am working part time at something I enjoy, that's okay. The difference between work now (which I like) is that in retirement, if it's a better day to go fishing, I want to be able to go fishing - well, within reason.

If it means hitting the road for a few weeks, I want to be able to do that.

Flexibility is the key.

I still will want to do something that engages the brain more than golf.

How's that for a start. :cool:

Geekay

Ditto Acey and Garry

Retiring to me is choice. And I would certainely be working in some form/capacity.

If retirement meant going to the beach , sipping latte and lying around laziy all the time I would be bored to death

Retirement to me is being able to live 'regular' life, i.e. middle class, regular car, regular suburb, regular lifestyle ans spending money, and doing all this without working on a Job or Business.

Iwouldnt necessarily do nothing (well, maybe for a few months :)) either, I would just not need my main ocupation to be my main income. For instance I could take a low paid job with a welfare group, international aid agency or charity group. I would still be busy, but I would be busy doing more 'worthwhile' things than earning a dollar!

I guess we could all 'retire' with my definition; work for Amnesty International for $350/pw and live a cash poor but value rich life. However i think I need a bit more 'security' and be sure I can provide for my (soon to be extended, 2wks to go !!!) family before I step out into the big wide world.

In short, retirement to me is being able to chose vocation with absolutely no regard for pay.

TheBacon

Ditto TheBacon. Retirement is an ability/privilege of not working for dollars. This is having enough of passive income to fulfill your choices. Retirement is not about what you do or where you go, but about why you do and go. If this is to earn $$$ because you have to - this isn’t retirement to me regardless if it is a business, 9-5 or part-time job.

Waking up in the morning and having the freedom to choose what I`ll do for the day ( within reason of course ). Whether that be be a hobby, some work, or go to the beach.

Agree with everyone on this thread. The common word on all the posts is CHOICE. That's the key to it all. This is why we are making sacrifices NOW. It will all be worth it later. Ahhhhhh fishing.
JIM

For me, retirement = financial freedom = choice

It doesn't mean stopping working, it means having the choice whether to.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Retirement = Golf + Bowls + Holidays (are they still holidays if you don't work? ;) ) + Beer + TV + Gym + Playing on the computer + ... + ... + NOT NECESSARY TO WORK!! :D

Originally posted by kuso
Waking up in the morning and having the freedom to choose what I`ll do for the day ( within reason of course ). Whether that be be a hobby, some work, or go to the beach.
Ditto! :D

G'day all,

I liked Geoff Doidge's comment (in an API mag story going back some months) - he was "called away from his breakfast" to inspect a likely deal.......

THEN, he explained the "breakfast" - ever since leaving Public Service, he has made a habit of eating a breakfast at 9am on a Friday morning when everyone else is working a J-O-B......... BECAUSE HE CAN !!!!!!

That's for me !! And I will happily pick up the mantle from Geoff (if that's required) or join him in his "9am Friday breakfasts" when I "retire". And, I will drive my V12 Jag to wherever "breakfast" is, too !!! (MY choice!!! ;) )

Others have already said it - it is all about choice.

Regards,

For me, I have a job I love. Well, now.

But I would like the choice of not having to work 40 hours per week, every week.

I'm a contractor, with normal work pressures- so it's difficult to get time off. I've worked for the last 3+ years, on average, 51 weeks pa, 40 hours pw. And that's not much compared to many.

And I'd also actually like the choice of working more hours sometimes, if that's what the job wanted.

Several years ago, I worked in a job which was, well, rather less than perfect. I was treated like dirt by some people because I came from a mainframe background. I was an outsider- and I was made to feel it by some people.

Now I'm in a job where I get a great deal of satisfaction. I get respect from colleagues. And the work I've done has had a great deal of positive feedback. And I can see it's given a great deal of value to my employer, and the community as a whole.

And the interesting thing is-

I'm working in the same place, at the same job (after some breaks in the middle).

Sorry, I'm off topic.

But there can really be value in sticking with a job which appears bad.

My retired is similar to all: to be able to do what I want, when I want, with enough money not to limit it.
I want to be able to go to all my kids events at school and also renovate houses at my leasure.

Funny how everyone still wants to work to some extent even in retirement but I know alot of people who are on the dole and have been for many years who don't want any work at all.

Human nature is funny to watch.
Fourum members = motivation, dole = apathy.

Chris

From a reply by Suggo in a previous thread....

Originally posted by suggo
Retirement = Golf + Bowls + Holidays (are they still holidays if you don't work? ;) ) + Beer + TV + Gym + Playing on the computer + ... + ... + NOT NECESSARY TO WORK!! :D

This brings up a good question; what is a holiday to a retiree :) Do you need break from having a break? Can you get tired of being well rested?

This may be why many peoples idea of retirement (on this Forum at least) is not simply to down tools and wait for death. I think a 'greater' goal is necessary for what you plan to do after you reach 'financial independence'.

Financial Independence is not the end goal for me, just a measurable milestone along the way....

TheBacon :)

Well iconcider my self semi retired due to the fact I no longer work full time (now thats funny I am busy for 60+ hours per week) why do I say this? I spend most days with my kids and wife and i love seeing the kids growing up there 2- 5 and 6 so why am i so busy from the time I get up till i go to bed i will not work more than 3-4 hours the rest of the day is doing my stuff renovating ips improving my home playing with the kids going out as a family i am so busy that i have a 2-3 month back log of things to do i just cant wate to close the business fully so i can be so busy doing the important things in life
so for me it doing what i want to do when i want to do it and an apartment on the World but that will take a few more years of semi retuirement.
by the way i left school mid year 9 am 33 and my wife has never worked but i did have 2 full time jobs for 10 years and was given nothing like most people on this forum will get there the hard way but will get there.

Hi all,

STCPC, good work, that sounds like a good life.

To me, retirement will be filled with choice, much like everyone else seems to have said. To me this choice will involve lots of time spent with friends and future familly, world travel (as opposed from holiday acey), and self improvement. As well as managing the investments of course.

Even tho im planning for about 65 years in retirement, i dont think i'll get time to work (as most of you said)... what a pity :D

-Regards

Dave

Originally posted by Les
G'day all,

THEN, he explained the "breakfast" - ever since leaving Public Service, he has made a habit of eating a breakfast at 9am on a Friday morning when everyone else is working a J-O-B......... BECAUSE HE CAN !!!!!!

Regards,

9 am is too early, I prefer breakfast around 10 am.....kids are at school, wife is out and I have all the peace and quiet ALL TO MYSELF. Ahhh this is life.

Yes, it is all about CHOICE

regards

Back