What $ do you insure your IP for?

On the assumption of cheap, say sub $150k price range,

is it better to insure for the contract price? or the cost of building it brand new from scratch? say $150k or $200k

I guess if you insure it for $100k for example (contract price) and if it does burn to the ground, you'd still be $50-$100k out of pocket to rebuild it

is it better to insure for the contract price? or the cost of building it brand new from scratch? say $150k or $200k

I guess if you insure it for $100k for example (contract price) and if it does burn to the ground, you'd still be $50-$100k out of pocket to rebuild it

I think if underinsure find the insurer wont even give the 100 k..........they will give you a lower %.

if the realvalue is 150 k, and yoy insure for 100, they may only pay you 100/150 of the 100.

Cant recall the process but its to stop folks from deliberately underinsuring

ta
rolf

I believe the biggest risk of underinsuring is when partial damage is done. I have always been careful to slightly over-insure since working in the insurance area of a bank many years ago.

When I recently decreased the amount insured on some IPs because the amounts insured were too high, I asked about underinsurance. The insurance company staffer told me that in the event of a total loss, the payout would be the total insured. Of course, if under-insured, that amount would not cover a rebuild. Anything short comes out of my pocket. I am assuming part of the risk.

She went on to confirm that for partial loss, they use calculations, and for example, if you have insured the place for half its value, and the cost to repair is $100K, then you will possibly be paid $50K at most. Again... anything short comes out of my pocket and I am assuming part of the risk.

I have no idea whether she got that wrong, or if she was right, or if different insurers use different calculations, but the other thing I learned in that phone call was that I didn't need to load up the replacement or rebuild cost to cover demolition and/or architect fees. She said there is a built-in percentage in each policy (at least that insurer) of 15% to cover those costs (or a similar percentage).

For years I had ensured I over-insured rather than be caught underinsured.

With the extreme increases in policy premiums over the past few years, I have changed the policies where I can, increased the excesses and been more realistic with the estimated cost to rebuild.

I changed two policies just last week, saved close to $800 by increasing the excess on each from $300 to $500 and being more realistic with the estimate to replace. It is more difficult to pinpoint a replacement cost with older houses than new, in my opinion.

I think I may have come across incorrectly,

im not trying to under insure, im actually trying to over insure,

if market price=contract price was $100k for example, is it better to insure for $100k or the actual cost of rebuilding the house if the house burnt down, lets say $150k for example, as if the house did burn down, youd be $50k out of pocket to get it rebuilt from scratch

I try and increase the excess so my premium is lower, thus forcing me to not make any crappy or cheap claims, thus reducing the likelihood of hte insurance company increasing my premium,

eg. one of my ips had the airconditioner unit stolen, I was expecting it to be like $2000 replacement, and started looking at my policy, but have found a new split system for $500 plus install, which works out pretty much the same as my $500 excess

eg. one of my ips had the airconditioner unit stolen,

they didnt steal the air con

they stole the refrigerant :)

New business generated by the CT............black market trade of refrigerants.

Copper theft is nothing............wait for the law of unintended consequences on this puppy :)

ta
rolf

if market price=contract price was $100k for example, is it better to insure for $100k or the actual cost of rebuilding the house if the house burnt down, lets say $150k for example, as if the house did burn down, youd be $50k out of pocket to get it rebuilt from scratch

As mentioned above- they look at what % you have insured. So if you insured fort $150K and to rebuild was $150K that means you only insured $66% so they will only pay you 66% which is $66K. So you'd be out of pocket $84K

Whenever I've got building insurance they don't even ask what I paid. They just ask how many rooms, what it's made of etc then they tell you the replacement cost.

I just insure it for whatever the bank tells me to insure it for!

True, but I want to have sanf factor so want to insure for amount, that if something bad happens, then basically I get a brand spanking new house built for me with no out of pocket expenses?

Isn't that what Nathan does?

True, but I want to have sanf factor so want to insure for amount, that if something bad happens, then basically I get a brand spanking new house built for me with no out of pocket expenses?

Some insurers like AAMI have an 'unlimited' insurance policy for the building so that may allay your fears.

what is the premium differential we are talking about - between contract price, and replacement value (or is it the ability to insure for above what paid for)?

what is the premium differential we are talking about - between contract price, and replacement value (or is it the ability to insure for above what paid for)?

well I guess it depends on the lender and price in question
if the purchase price=market price=$140k for example, and rebuilding from scratch was $150k, then not a big deal

but if contract price=market price=$90k, then that will be a big diff

i just had to setup my house insurance about 6 months or so ago and reading it they recommend you insure it for a total rebuild cost of demolition and all
whats an extra few$$ for about 50k extra cover

try AAMI, you do not have to specify an amount, they would insure it for whatever the costs are for replacement, including site costs and debris removal.

If unsure, you can insure a $ for bldg replacement (say 200K) and then add another 20-40K for site costs/debris removal. So final figure would be 250K give or take

If to want to throw a spanner in the mix,when you ask the question about insurance ask the question if the property frame is of the old rock=solid white ant proof Hardwood,and if rebuilt you want the frames roof sections
all hardwood not treated cancer prone treated pine frames,,,.

With NRMA they have a minimum amount for insurance purpose depends on the number of bedrooms+ other features.They justiofication is not only for the cost of rebuilding; but also for the cost of cleaning up and site survey, plan etc if needs rebuilding.

While on theis subject anybody out there very happy with their insurer? I have been with NRMA for a long time for all my properties and cars; the premium went throught the roof recently (even with all my bonuses and discounts).; and I am considering a gradual change.

MKK

rather than changing ring them up and see what they can do for you im sure if you said you were going to move all your properties they may come to the table with a better offer
and that would be easier than having to change them

Back