What do you read?

What sorts of reading material do you read?

I read short stories (Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter...), science magazines (New Scientist), general magazines (Time), the newspaper on the train (mX), and other bits and pieces (Languages, Hobby stuff, DIY).

I've also been good and have been doing my homework! Read Ryder (Property Smart), Somers (More Wealth), Yardley (How to build...), Mcknight (*). It is interesting how these books compare to each other. Ryder was very cautious and negative I thought, whereas other books were more positive.

When I get time, which is not often at the moment, fiction that's mostly either fantasy or general literary (currently reading Ian McEwan's "Saturday").

Occasionally, when necessity calls, technology-related books for work - currently a book on XML.

Very little media. We get a Sunday newspaper mainly for the TV guide, but I do quickly skim through it.

Otherwise mainly investment-related stuff from books or the Internet.

GP

For work and pleasure: Forensic and Military Psychology journals....and for lite reading...can't beat a good murder mystery. For serious reading...investment books and articles.:)

cheers
Sharon

i'll try everything except hard core horror or erotica ... i find them boring with a lack of plot or characterisation :eek: . oh - i guess that means i have "tried" them.

Lots of SF, fantasy, business and history. I also read a lot of business magazines (Businessweek, Fortune, Forbes, cnnfn) online.

A monthly PC magazine, and for novels - thrillers & mysterys are my favourites. My idea of fantasy is Harry Potter, Narnia etc which I always enjoy (keeping the kid in me alive) and I like anything that makes me keep turning the page to see what happens next. Recently read a couple of Maeve Binchy's and while they're not normally something I'd read, I did enjoy them and she really makes you connect with her characters so I can see why her books are popular. Also like the odd true life story if it's inspiring and/or interesting. History books (e.g. about the celts, how religion evolved etc.) and how to books (trying to improve my sketching techniques at present.)

Don't buy the papers, girlie mags or weeklies/monthlies of any type and I find out what's on the TV on the net.

Cheers
Olly

Sci-Fi (particularly recommend Bujold), Fantasy, Biographies, History (particularly military), Psychology, Ethics and a smattering of Business.

As for magazines, I keep an eye on New Scientist, Forbes, BRW, The Economist and Oprah (yup the last isn't a spelling error).

Plus read a lot of newspapers & blogs online, quite a few prospectuses & business plans, AIM and AICD mags and a number of energy industry publications.

Really busy at the mo, so I only fit in a few hours a day - normally grabbed when walking to & from work, while waiting for things to load on the PC, in the loo and shower & all those spare five minutes through the day when I'm waiting or doing passive things.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Read? whaddyagot?

I read most anything...why, vegemite jars if need be.

Fiction, non fiction, most anything...books, internet, articles, reports, magazines, journals, weekend Age and Australian are usually (weekend) favorites, :) can't get into the gossip magazines, or Mills and Boon type stuff, at all, but anything else, love to read, always read, it's like learning for me...can't get enough baby.

Reading's good. I am a fast reader too, always have been.

Partner has read two books in his life, Fury and Monty Roberts...doesn't like to read at all...takes everything in with the old observation. Watcher than doer, me a reader than thinker...works out okay in the wash up.

I read a mix of books depending on my mood. Once I start a book I will usually finish unless I can't get involved, then I'll ditch it and move on.

I've read a few biographies, history, and sci-fi. The sci-fi I usually enjoy is based on current events with a twist on available technologies.

At the moment I'm reading the Dune Trilogy. I had abit of trouble getting into it at the start but now the story has got me.

Regards

Andrew

Last edited:
I look forward to reading this forum!!!!!
Anything else....depends on the mood. Just finished 'A journey for madmen' (about the first Vendee Globe sailing around the world race...with Chay Blythe et al)- again!
Read property reports, the occasional investor mag & sailing mags mostly.
Not really into papers...or much TV for that matter.
Annie

The last series of books I read was "A Child Called It" by David Peltzer , the last one written by his brother, from his perspective,and what happened after his brother was removed from the home.
The 4th worst case of child abuse in California.

Like to read true murder cases.

Quantity v Quality

I feel as though I don't read as much I should. Also there is a balance between learning from others and spending you own time working out your own thoughts and goals.

I have been spending more time thinking about what I should not be reading. With this in mind I'm on a newspaper ban and this includes online newspapers. Also I have tried online forum bans at times in the past (try it and see if you too have an addiction!) I can see myself doing this more regulary in the future. Also I have pruned my RSS feed down to about 40 core feeds which I check daily, as this too can suck up your available time.

At the moment I have 15 library books out, if a book is not good I will skim it very quickly though, if it's good I will write notes down or add it to my amazon inbox.

I like the library as I'm able to get out what I consider 2nd tier trading books that I don't want to buy and read books on subjects such as peak oil, again books I don't need to be buying.

'Imperial Ambition' Noam Chomsky
'One Up on Wall Street' Peter Lynch
'Entries and Exits' Elder
'Why Most Things Fail' Ormerod
'The Away Game' Hall (about oz soccer players)
'Sector Investing' Roth
'Confessions of an Economic Hitman' Perkins
'Manias, Panics & Crashes' Kindelberger
'Bubble Man, Greenspan and the missing 7 trillion $' Hartcher
'A 1000 barrels a second' Tertzakian
'Twilight in the Desert' Simmons
'Education of a Speculator' Niederhoffer
'The Psychology of Trading' Steenbarger
'Misbehaviour of Markets' Mandelbrot
'Secrets of Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets' Weinstein

There is a quantity trap to think about, absorbing 1 excellent book thoroughly is worth a very large number of books read once and not absorbed.

Recently I have added a new vice to my life 'Texas Holdem' which I read strategy for online and magazines such as 'bluff', I'm working out how I can add this material to my tax deductable list :)

Last edited:
At the moment I'm reading the Dune Trilogy. I had abit of trouble getting into it at the start but now the story has got me.

Andrew, you're in for a treat. Dune isn't a trilogy :)

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune

Then there are the not-so-good books by his son.

House Harkonnen
House Corrino
House Atreides

The so-called seventh Dune novel:
Hunters of Dune (two books)

And the look-backs Legends of Dunes series:
Butlerian Jihad
Machine Crusade
Battle of Corrin

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi all,

Craig, you have finally got me totally perplexed.

How do you read in the shower???

so I only fit in a few hours a day - normally grabbed when walking to & from work, while waiting for things to load on the PC, in the loo and shower

:D

bye

Aceyducey said:
you're in for a treat
Don't know about that. I thought Dune was going down hill by Children of Dune, and getting somewhat carried away.

Can't remember if I read God Emperor or not, but I don't think anything after that anyway.

GP

What sorts of reading material do you read?

I read short stories (Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter...)

Harry Potter is like a telephone book!

I am a voracious reader and will rip through most anything.

My all time favourites are "The Coral Island" by Ballantyne and "The Caine Mutiny" by Wouk.

Am currently reading CEW Beans "The Official History of Australia in the War of 1914 to 1918" Will take a while to get through it though :)

Last full book I read was the Prize back in '97. Some famous guy won the Pulitzer prize for the detailed research in it about the entire oil industry history. Pretty sad hey - a decade without reading a book....too busy cleaning up other people's garbage.

My manager in the Middle East gave it to me and said "Son, you can't be in this industry without reading this book".

It explained heaps about the history of the world over the last 150 years, and how political and war decisions were made, and how often they were centred around oil - or more importantly lack thereof.

Since then, I seem to read alot of tax and lawyer stuff, which strangely enough doesn't put me to sleep. I like the nit picky rubbish that lawyers get into. Being an engineer, I think I went to the wrong faculty at Uni. Engineering bores me stupid.

Back