What do you think of this?

My only though Stevie is: It looks dirt cheap! I think an area like that will be real hot one day. Here in Darwin we'd pay much more for the same thing if it had sea views. We currently pay $370,000 for a normal 2x1 unit with no views.

Wow, really? I thought Darwin was really cheap!

The Gold Coast is sort of interesting in terms of property prices...

For BEACHSIDE properties you pay a lot more (though even those have come down a lot. The really expensive previously $2 million ones are now under $1 million, and the smaller apartments a few blocks to the beach but with no sea views are under $400,000, and in some cases, under $350,000 for 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom).

But for waterfront / canal-front properties, not so much, and it also VERY much depends on which street you're in, and which suburb.

Mermaid Waters, where this property is, is a large suburb. It stretches from just immediately behind a large shopping centre called Pacific Fair, and on the border of Broadbeach, Mermaid Beach and Broadbeach Waters, and there is one street which is very short and ALL properties on it are townhouses and all are on the waterfront. The other side of the street is a park. These properties are around $550,000+ for 2-3 bedrooms.

Then you can go to the other end of the suburb, near Robina, and 3-4 bedroom properties not on the water are high $300s. There is one particular gated complex which seems to always have 2 bedroom units on the water for under $350,000.

The properties in behind Pacific Fair are excellent (for us, for instance) because the transport is so easy. Lots of buses and you can walk everywhere easily. Once you get further down towards the other (Robina) part, it's difficult and you'd need a car.

Certain streets are just more expensive, and others are known to be cheap. The median price for Mermaid Waters is $275,000, not that that means much. It is skewed by large houses, small units, waterfront and non-waterfront properties, and the size and variation of the suburb.

The street our dream property is on is a known cheaper street, and especially on the non-waterside. $250,000 - $300,000 is average.

The main road running parallel to it is also considered cheap and undesirable, and as are the 3 streets running off it. These 3 streets are all cul de sacs and cheap. Especially the farthest away one, called Jodie Court. This street is very short, has cars parked all over the nature strips, and is made up of all cheap and small flat-style properties. We looked at one and it was too small for us and the complex had several topless larger men sitting outside on their front porches chewing tobacco and smoking and swearing. Also, several puppies have been poisoned in that street by neighbours. It is not considered a good street. That property we looked at was 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 2 levels, in a direct waterfront block and had water views (river / canal, not beach of course), and it was asking $320,000 18 months ago. It never sold and is now asking $260,000.

So...pricing all depends on many things...

Just noticed a new one listed in the same street as my dream home.

2 bedroom, 1 bathroom on the same side of the road (water side), same lovely views, but smaller in size. $320,000.

I remember that shopping complex! (Pacific Fair) I think.. It's in Maroochydore, right?

I used to LOVE Maroochydore, we were staying at a caravan Park near Alex heads surf club and the surf was really nice in the mornings. I'd be up at dawn and there'd be hot chicks all around me in the water, was great!

Darwin isn't 'considered' cheap. But all the locals write in-to the papers each day complaining they'll never be able to afford a house though. In relation to all other capital city's it IS cheap though.

Thanks Marg - yep, Pacific Fair is in Broadbeach, right on the border of Broadbeach and Mermaid Beach. 2 blocks to the beach on a sort of island off the Gold Coast Highway. :)

Anyway, yep, cats are ok, the agent said, provided we make the effort to apply to the body corporate commitee for permission. They are indoor cats and nobody would even know they lived there. There is apparently a cat in the complex somewhere already, so it's fine.

Anyway, yep, cats are ok, the agent said, provided we make the effort to apply to the body corporate commitee for permission. They are indoor cats and nobody would even know they lived there. There is apparently a cat in the complex somewhere already, so it's fine.

To be honest, that doesn't sound like it would be okay at all. Sounds like a bit of "agent talk". This would be one thing you need to check now. The committee might meet only once a year. Would a "no" to the cats put an end to this idea? If so, then that is the first thing you need to check, and get it in writing.

No, a "no" to the cats would not automatically put an end to it. We'd work around it somehow, if at all possible.

No body corporates are legally able to refuse you having a pet apparently. Those that say a blanket NO to pets are illegal and cannot be followed through with in terms of any action against the occupier who has pets.

Our place now, we had to apply for permission from the body corporate. We sent in a formal letter, and 2 days later received a casual text message saying no problem. :) In our building currently there are 4 cats and 2 dogs. So it really is no problem in some buildings, despite still having to apply for permission.

I would apply now though and get the answer in writing. If you go ahead and buy this, you could find problems getting approval.

I don't know what the legal implications are about pets. Perhaps it is like landlords saying "no pets" but a tenant gets a cat or dog and (apparently) a landlord cannot evict them on that basis. They can, however, just refuse to renew the lease and make your life miserable in the meantime.

You would be an owner so cannot be evicted, but there was a case in the news recently where a women sold her unit due to the friction caused by her having a cat. Other owners can make your life an absolute misery.

I suggest you make this the very first question on everything you remotely look like buying.

We do. At inspections we ask it first. Sometimes the agents say strictly no pets. And we still have a look around but obviously those properties are off our list of potential new homes. Some agents say yes, pet friendly. And mostly they say yes, on application.

We will write to the body corporate though. Just to make sure on the tiny chance we COULD actually buy this place that we would be ok with our cats living there.

I don't see how there would be any friction with other owners. They would never see the cats. Indoor only for us really IS indoor only. It's a first floor apartment so nobody could walk by and see our cats in the windows or anything. The only time they'd even know we HAD cats is if someone happened to see us getting into a cab with the cat carriers.

But yes, we would always do things properly and apply. And we will write to them first before we go any further.

I'm with Wylie here.

The agent is there to sell the property to you. Once that is done you are on your own.

You MUST have a letter from the body corporate giving permission for you to keep two cats as a condition of the contract, otherwise you are probably in for a nasty fight further down the track.

No point in starting off on the wrong foot. Just because you have heard that "someone" has a cat there does not mean there is permission for it to be there.

You are correct in saying that in some blocks pets are not a problem, but that does not apply to all blocks.

"No body corporates are legally able to refuse you having a pet apparently. Those that say a blanket NO to pets are illegal and cannot be followed through with in terms of any action against the occupier who has pets."

I would check this statement with your solicitor before relying on it.
Mrag

Marg

I'd insure the furniture on the basis your cat would ruin it! My little poodle chews the leather couches up at every chance and my cat puts its nails into the couches to finish the job! Don't even ask about the other furniture...

HAH! Goodness me. I wish we COULD insure things against pet damage! Unfortunately no policies do that.

Our couches were re-covered back in 2004, but need it again, because of...you guessed it! One of our cats! Scratch, scratch, scratch. The other furniture is all untouched, luckily.

And yes, you're right, Marg. We were lucky with our body corporate here. They really are pet friendly, but who is to know, right? We will write to the body corporate for the dream home and make sure.

By far the best course of action.

A neighbour relocated to a unit complex with her little dog. She was adamant that the dog stay with her. She was able to get a letter from the body corporate giving permission for the dog to live there, but when the dog died she was not allowed to get another.

She happily moved in.
Marg

Oh wow, the poor dog. And they wouldn't let her get another? I guess I can understand that, yeah.

We were thinking, for any potential place we'd buy, of getting our upstairs (owner occupier) neighbour to write a brief reference concerning our cats. How they really are indoor only, quiet, never any trouble. She has never even seen them as they are indoor only. :)

Back