What I could claim on this potential IP?

Hi all,

Looking at an IP at the moment, that has had some good renovation done (owned by a tradie) in the past 2 years. New bathroom, kitchen, re-wired, re-plumbed etc.

It's an older house so no building depreciation but in order to claim on the renovations, would I need to know the costs the vendor paid or would a surveyor be able to work it out? What do I need to know from them to ensure we can make a claim on it? Assuming we can make a claim?

The ATO feels you are obliged to try and find out the value of renovations rather than just getting a QS report. I'd get the vendor to write you a letter stating the value of the reno as well as stuff like the oven, A/C etc that may be depreciated faster.

Cheers
Pulse

The ATO feels you are obliged to try and find out the value of renovations rather than just getting a QS report. I'd get the vendor to write you a letter stating the value of the reno as well as stuff like the oven, A/C etc that may be depreciated faster.

Although...it is also my understanding that the ATO doesn't take into account gratuitous labour - perhaps the QS is a preferred approach?

Back