What is a lien ?

Can someone please explain how this works.

I've been told that a lien is quite like a second mortgage...would appreciate some clarification around this in the light of commercial property.

In the commercial arena, what kind of returns are normally expected from a lien against equity ?

What happens if the investment goes pear shaped or prices slide ...what kind of recourse does one have ?

Many thanks.

HI there
a lien is a right to hold the property of another as security for the performance of an obligation.
An example is a solicitor having a lien on his client's papers to secure the payment of costs.
What property or debt is involved? as a lien is not as strong as a second mortgage which can be registered on title and would notify all parties of the interest of the lender. A lien cannot avail against the purchaser of a legal estate for value without notice of the lien.
thanks

...and last and by no means least...their dad, Bob, double amputee who enjoys a swim...:)

And his brother Russell, the gardener that lost both arms and both legs in a tragic shedder accident, who now likes roll on piles of leaves.

His dad, the mechanic who works under cars.... Jack

His dog also had also no legs, but what was he called ? Doesn't matter, he still would come to you.

And what will they call it after it dies ?? Still, no idea.
There is a followup to that, but I won't go there ;)

I wanted to rent "Bambi", but it was too deer.

I wanted to rent "Bambi", but I didn't have the bucks.

I wanted to rent "Bambi", but it was too much doe.

I wanted to rent "Bambi 2" but it was two deer.

There is a followup to that, but I won't go there ;)

I wanted to rent "Bambi", but it was too deer.

I wanted to rent "Bambi", but I didn't have the bucks.

I wanted to rent "Bambi", but it was too much doe.

I wanted to rent "Bambi 2" but it was two deer.

You win!! But I do wonder what to do with Bambi once rented, perhaps handy for a buck's night?

Back