What is your wage?

What is your average yearly income from your job?

• Below $30k

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • $31-$40k

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • $41-50k

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • $51-60k

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • $61-70k

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • $71-$80k

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • $81-90k

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • $91-$100k

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • $100-150k

Votes: 51 28.3%
  • $150-$200k

Votes: 19 10.6%
  • $201k +

Votes: 33 18.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's how you value your time. Fast food is convenient, relatively cheap and fast. Not everyone has time to prepare food, cook it, and then wash up. I cook a lot at home but if I was working 9-7pm everyday with the daily commute I don't think I would be. Plus it's not as if buying food from the supermarket is that cheap these days unless you make easy stuff like soup and rice.

A wealthy person may eat the same amount of takeaway as a poorer person but they have the benefit of being able to make healthier (but more expensive) choices like Japanese instead of KFC, etc.

Japanese food is considered takeaway... that makes me sad somehow ;_;
The bento pack with fried stuff is not exactly healthy.

You can be healthy and cheap. Plain congee ($3 if you buy) + one thousand years egg ($6 for a pack of 10) = $3.6 per meal :rolleyes:

Or sandwich, big pack of bread $3 (12 pieces) + 500 grams of smoke salmon $15 + 1 pack of salad $3 = $21 for 6 sandwiches --> $3.5 per sandwich.

Japanese food is considered takeaway... that makes me sad somehow ;_;

Why does this statement make you sad? I choose sushi (or something else from the menu) over any other takeaway food when we can't be bothered to cook. I know sushi isn't necessarily the healthiest (so I'm told) but it has to be better than maccas's, surely.

We get ours locally from a very much "take away" store. You can sit in it but there is little ambience, so we take it home and put it in a china bowl or plate.

I've never eaten Japanese food in a restaurant. One day I'll do that.

There's been some interesting research on what poverty does to a person's decision making ability.

Basically, the more decisions you have to make, the less able you are to make further decisions.

This is why choosing from a menu with lots of items or going shopping is exhausting.

Some very successful people keep their lives very simple. Psychologically, they're 'freeing up' more decision making power for stuff that matters instead of deciding what to wear.

On that basis, people who just buy fast food because it's convenient probably aren't the type who sit down and think 'well, if I just go to the shop and buy bread and salmon, it'll be healthier and work out better value than if I go to maccas'. It's more 'look, I'm juggling too many things as it is. Want food? Just go to maccas'.

Similarly, even people on low incomes can save if they actually looked at their spending and cut back on unnecessary stuff or did stuff more efficiently. But most don't. Part of the reason is that they are so mentally exhausted just surviving that they don't have the capacity to consider the future.

Why does this statement make you sad? I choose sushi (or something else from the menu) over any other takeaway food when we can't be bothered to cook. I know sushi isn't necessarily the healthiest (so I'm told) but it has to be better than maccas's, surely.

We get ours locally from a very much "take away" store. You can sit in it but there is little ambience, so we take it home and put it in a china bowl or plate.

It's a bit like saying the only hamburger you've ever had is from maccas or the only pizza you've had is from pizza hut, or the only Chinese food you'd had is from places that only have english menus.

You're missing out on a lot.

Of course it's not, but the ones without the fried stuff are. And there's a lot more to Japanese food than a Bento Box. I regularly eat Japanese but have only ever had a Bento Box twice.

There's been some interesting research on what poverty does to a person's decision making ability.

Basically, the more decisions you have to make, the less able you are to make further decisions.

This is why choosing from a menu with lots of items or going shopping is exhausting.

Some very successful people keep their lives very simple. Psychologically, they're 'freeing up' more decision making power for stuff that matters instead of deciding what to wear.

On that basis, people who just buy fast food because it's convenient probably aren't the type who sit down and think 'well, if I just go to the shop and buy bread and salmon, it'll be healthier and work out better value than if I go to maccas'. It's more 'look, I'm juggling too many things as it is. Want food? Just go to maccas'.

Similarly, even people on low incomes can save if they actually looked at their spending and cut back on unnecessary stuff or did stuff more efficiently. But most don't. Part of the reason is that they are so mentally exhausted just surviving that they don't have the capacity to consider the future.

That is interesting, we have definitely made our lives too complicated.

There's also studies that show the more choice a person has the unhappier they are with that choice. When someone has 20 shampoo's to chose from on the supermarket shelf they generally get home and think one of the other 19 must have been the better choice and are unhappy with their decision, but if they only have 2-3 to chose from they don't have the same feeling that they must have picked the wrong one.

Just definition. I consider Japanese food as properly sitting and eat japanese food (sushi is not the only jap food!)
Takeaway have similarity with junk food to me, but that's my own definition. Sushi box and rolls are certainly things you can "take away".

:eek:

Do that!

It's a bit like saying the only hamburger you've ever had is from maccas or the only pizza you've had is from pizza hut, or the only Chinese food you'd had is from places that only have english menus.

You're missing out on a lot.

Some of the most interesting meals I've had have been from restuarants where I couldn't read the menu.

That makes a lot of sense. I've witnessed this with many of my low socio economic, low functioning patients in occupational therapy rehab (most who are NOT cognitively impaired) when being taught basic living skills.

I can only put the passive resistance of many down to it being too hard - when involving more steps that say those of purchasing a steak and some eggs to fry.

The non poor (who can afford takeaway) generally buy it to free up time and are probably the people more likely to be buying Japanese or healthier but sometimes more expensive takeaway.

At the same time I think the wealthier but busy families are more likely to buy some takeaway food and combine it with some of the healthier food they have at home, ie. pre cooked chicken with home made salad.

They generally put more thought into what the family eats even if takeaway makes up part of the diet.

EN710, my sons favourite takeaway, which he buys about once a fortnight, is a Japanese noodle dish ($9). The other that he likes is the Vietnamese rolls sold down the road from us ($6).

He is very time poor and at the moment working so much (mostly away where food is bought on the company account) that he hardly ventures into a kitchen.

He is still slim and fit however, as he's always on the go, and still up early to do his running.

That's after 2 months of eating out or takeaway most nights - mind you still takes great care with his diet and lunches usually consist of a can of tuna or cooked chicken with some fresh salad and perhaps a small wholemeal roll or similar.

I know we are vastly tracking off topic but a little shopping around does wonders for take away pricing. My family adore sushi but yes its expensive, especially in Perth where the $2.80 handroll is no popular yet.
I have a CBD japanese which does fantastic fresh sushi and I get that every Tuesday for dinner. My kids have 5pm swimming lessons near the CBD and I pick up sushi then meet them and hubby there for dinner at 6. When the weather is good we have a picnic in the park or inside when it's raining. We get a nice family dinner and miss the peak hour traffic out.
But I digress - 10 pieces of sushi is $6.50-7.50 - tuna salad cheap - raw salmon at $7.50. I get 40 pieces (family of 5) and 4 miso soup for $30. I couldn't eat Maccas for that price. So for us the choice is easy - fresh japanese with real ingredients is the winner.

i found the more i earnt, the more i decide stuff it, ill just get takeaway. CBF cooking anything

but from what i have seen its not the wage that determine whether you choose to eat fast food

its all down to the person
if your lazy or time poor you will choose to get fast food instead of cook something

At those prices it sounds like takas or possibly nippon fare. Servicable and excellent value but not oustanding imo

I have been getting lazy recently and no more cooking up a week's worth of lunches to freeze.

My "take away" is $4 a serve of curry or fettuccini from Woollies or Aldi. I also keep a huge lasagne in the freezer at home and a couple of kilos of frozen potato chips. It is faster to put that in the oven and do some house work than it is to phone pizza capers and drive there and back. It is also way cheaper.

For a family of four adults it would cost us over $40 for one meal of fish and chips and up to $60 for thai, indian or pizza. That is not cheap.

Oops. Sorry to create a tangent :).

Hubby and I do love our food :). So when we have "too much money" we will go out and eat yummy stuff like creamy pasta dishes with MUCH more butter and cream than I cook with at home. The biggest thing is the portion sizes are WAAAAY bigger at restaraunts than what I dish up at home, and then we will have entree, mains AND dessert :D

We are EXTREMELY lucky that we have some awesome local bulk butchers nearby (favourite is www.meatcity.com.au checkout their weekly specials) and plenty of great quality fruit and vege. Now it costs me around $100 a week for our grocery budget for the 2 of us and that includes cleaning products etc.

We actually don't do takeaway very often, we tend to eat at home until we can afford to eat out "properly".

The people (me) demand to know which one and where.

Sanj is correct it is Takas in Shafto Lane. Cheapest sushi and their hot meals are decently priced too at around $5-7. It's not high class but it's good value for money and quick.

Star Sushi on William Street is one of the few places you can get hand rolls and they are $2-3 each.

I know we are vastly tracking off topic but a little shopping around does wonders for take away pricing. My family adore sushi but yes its expensive, especially in Perth where the $2.80 handroll is no popular yet.
I have a CBD japanese which does fantastic fresh sushi and I get that every Tuesday for dinner. My kids have 5pm swimming lessons near the CBD and I pick up sushi then meet them and hubby there for dinner at 6. When the weather is good we have a picnic in the park or inside when it's raining. We get a nice family dinner and miss the peak hour traffic out.
But I digress - 10 pieces of sushi is $6.50-7.50 - tuna salad cheap - raw salmon at $7.50. I get 40 pieces (family of 5) and 4 miso soup for $30. I couldn't eat Maccas for that price. So for us the choice is easy - fresh japanese with real ingredients is the winner.

Good value there!

Also check out royal st, east perth. After 4 pm sushi is half price :) it's delic too

For a family of four adults it would cost us over $40 for one meal of fish and chips and up to $60 for thai, indian or pizza. That is not cheap.

It depends on what you are going to cook. If you just eat processed food then the grocery bill isn't going to be much. If you buy everything fresh and 'free range' you pay through the nose for it.

Back