what job are you loving it ?

I am contemplating my next job/career/business after 25 years slave to the $. If you love your day job/business, what is it and why are you loving it ?

Ilove my employer and my team. Daily work is a bit bland, but the people I work with make turning up each day a pleasure. Maybe you should aim for a company with a reputation for a good culture, rather than a particular job?

In general, I love my job. But on the days that I wish I never got out of bed, it motivates me to keep investing and pushes me harder to make enough money to retire!

I am contemplating my next job/career/business after 25 years slave to the $. If you love your day job/business, what is it and why are you loving it ?

Become a electronics,instrument and radio engineer on aircraft. MASSIVE shortage in the industry,great money,travel plus lots of other reasons to get into it.

Manager of 15 people in a managed IT services support team - awesome fun.

I love it because as a manager you are the coach and mentor of the team, not only in the immediate task at hand, but also for their future personal development.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I sorta love my job Musician and music sales,
I dont like having to be at work all day but I do enjoy talking guitars n amps,

I like working with a band but after a while, it does get to be a bit of a chore, knocking off at 5, having a quick feed, not being able to party when others are and then having to play until the early hours of the morning surrounded by drunken clams, then doing it all over again at 9am the next day.. ;[
I like playing but it is stressful on both mind and body, sometimes soul too:D

Most people think that musicians have it easy, theres alot of work to be done though, theres practice, travel, PA and sound setup, lots of waiting around, heaps of drunks [sometimes good, sometimes bad] and late nights, it really isnt easy, playing takes it out of me, after a show, Im so drained that if someones up for partying afterwards, I feel like Im no fun at all, I can barely make conversation!
It is fun though or else I wouldnt do it.

I provide infrastructure support for some very large applications, one of which is the largest Dotnet application in the southern hemisphere... you'd probably know of it, or it's related websites.

I also provide support within the organisation for similar sorts of applications.

I utterly adore my job. I get paid very well to my mind for what I do, some days i spend doin absolutely nothing (and to be honest, i hate those days)
other times it's really busy and really noisy.. if the stuff hits the rotating air mover, i thrive.
It's also the sort of job where even if i'm not on call, i'd respond if called in for a major outage.

I get to work with all sorts of technology, and my immediate team leader, and director above that, are VERY talented and good at what they do, so I learn heaps from them.
Since a couple of other team members have gravitated elsewhere, I've had much more opportunity to become involved in the more senior work..

all in all, i love my job, i really really do.. who else is going to let me play with millions of dollars of top of the line server equipment.

Most teachers love their job..yes, it gets hard, yes, the money should be better, yes, there are idiotic kids/parents/principals/departmental people....but they still love going to work everyday..for me its bliss right now..playing sport with a group of kids for 1 hour at a time...sweeeet!

Hiya

I dont have a job................im slave employed........oops sorry thats self employed

I still luv my daily interaction with my clients on a day to day basis..........helping them to obtain that next IP that their previous lender/broker said to them ....................you are dreaming.

ta
rolf

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink

My job involves teaching people who may not have been in the workforce for 20 - 30 years (e.g left school had a family, raised said family) or are retraining after a work injury they come into course fearful, lacking self confidence, thinking they cannot get a job.

12 months later we have dragged them through the course, played mother, educated them on basic skills (that are not in the course but are lacking in some individuals) listened & managed their socal problems or at least steered them to a professional who can help.

Low and behold they go out on work experience (drilled into their heads 'this is your opportunity to demonstrate your behaviours e.g puncuality, communication and course knowledge').

4 weeks later they come back staggered to believe that they have an offer of employment.

6 months later they see us in the street and stop to tell us how their life has changed.

12 months - 2 years later some let us know they have said to their partners - see you later I am not putting up with your crap any more!

2 -3 years later the same students turn up in a higher level course because
a) they are now not afraid of study and
b) they have demonstrated to the employer that they are able to work at Teamleader level.

This is my /our job satisfaction - START with unemployed with low self esteem, no idea of the working world/culture > END UP AS financially secure with a career path & increased self worth.

Of course we have some that are unemployable due to medical or mental conditions - we give them extra help/support and endeavour to get them in a area where they volunteer and are rewarded e.g praise, free meal, made to feel part of the team.

Some can't make the grade & go around in the system for years doing 4 or 5 courses and low and behold I might see them working somewhere or hear what they are doing and I am staggered. Some actually make it.

There are others that after 3 months in a course we know they are not going to work because they don't want to work & they also don't wish to volunteer.

We don't waste our time on these people - as they spend enough time themselves focused on themselves. You can only do so much in a set time.

Sheryn

I love my job.

I am an aid worker/human rights lawyer, working in camps in Sudan. I manage a project with some 16 local staff. I live here with my husband and 8 month old daughter. Love my job, it is a challenge implementing a project of this nature in Sudan and living here.

Even if I had enough equity to retire on I would still continue working.

Leilah :)

I do not like my job

I am a house dad and work part time at a newsagents. This job requires me to get up at 4.00AM three days a week to open the newsagents and get the newspapers ready for deliver and to sub agents.
Also 7 days a week I also deliver the papers to houses. (5.30 AM start)
I have to work public holidays for no extra pay and 7 days a week.
I am currently considering driving a bus for a job after talking with two customers who do drive a bus part time they seem happy with their jobs.
It requires me to get a bus licence.

thanks everyone for sharing your job exerience.
Leilah & Sheryn, it's good you get satisfaction from helping people.
Duckster, I can understand your dislike for delivering papers. I have my paper delivered and I really feel for the delivery man who has to put up with the early hours, dark, and cold for very little money.
For me my ideal work (not a job) will be investing, property development, and several businesses as I no longer want to be a salaryman.

I love my job - it's my "dream job". I have a great boss, who is supportive to the team and has a great sense of humor and great fun! Our team is young and lots of fun. We have a lot of celebration ie morning tea, lunches, end of month drinks etc.

My hubby is very jealous! He said that we don't do much work - just partying .......

Jas

Back