What Multi Function Printer?

I have a small network of four PCs - serving students and home office.

After a multifinction printer for all to share with fax, print, copy, scan. Would prefer laser but still open, don't especially need colour print.

Needs to be durable and simple. Was thinking about a Samsung SCX-4216F, which are around $369 from UMart but not sure it will network well. Run XP home and 64.

Any ideas people?

Hi LP, I went through this in May last year for a home office, and settled with Brother MFC 9180 mono laser. The cartridges are competitive too. They had very good reviews everywhere. I also bought it from the service agent in Brisbane, and he gave me an extra 2 years for nicks on the warranty. Think I paid around $450. The only issue I have is that there is only one paper feed, and I often use different sizes for invoices and A4. The model is around 3-4 years old now I believe, so might be worth checking for a new model. I also had a auto feed multi page doc get chewed up when trying to send a fax. But that was a one off. But I would expect nil.

I had considered getting the duplex unit, next one up. 8840D or something. But it was around $850, and I didn't think duplex was worth doubling the price. Have spoken with a lot of small business and they are very happy with Brother printers. Though I had also considered Samsung too.

thefirstbruce

I always thought that Brother was more domestic and possibly less durable, but that is not your experience obviously. No particular reason for my view, probably just unfamiliar with the product.

Is yours used in a local network?

LPlate

Glebe said:

Glebe
I don't think the MP780 will network. Looks good for general home use - photos etc.

A Canon MF 5770 Laser Multifunction seems good but the price is a bit higher than I wanted to spend at $575.

Maybe the extra hundred or two is cut out by cheaper printing, reliability and a bit more proofing against change.

LPlate

I've had older versions of the Brother, Pixma and Samsung (different reasons). They've all been good.

I haven't had to network any (yet).

The Canon color inkjets are MUCH cheaper to run now that there's generic printer cartridges. Make sure that whatever you're running allows a generic option (B&W generic cost $6.95- not long ago the branded cartridge was $20 (or maybe ++).

geoffw
That is good advice. All companies seem to recover a lot of $$ through dearer ink esp. for the cheaper printers.

Almost everybody I know, including us, has an array of the cheaper printers which no longer work or the ink refills are either not available or are too dear.

I'm aiming to replace four cheaper printers for which are basically OK but have moments of uncooperativeness (bad feeds etc).
LPlate

Hi Lplate,

I had to chase a similar thing for my wife late last year.. I would definitely go with mono laser rather than inkjet. I looked at all the comparitive models (lower end of the price range) and settled on the samsug you mentioned.

IMO its great. It has a flatbed and a sheet feeder, also a single sheet feed etc with a straight paper path if necessary. The software that comes with it makes it quite accessible from the desktop (although cant scan straight to PDF, but i worked around this with Primo PDF).

The deal maker for us was the price. I think it was $380 (not quite as competitive in WA) but up until 31/12/05 there was also a redemption for a $50 westfield voucher which is as good as cash for us - this unfortunately doesnt help you as its now expired.

We ended up buying one for the office, and another for the home office.

I think in this price you arent going to get a standalone network (laser) printer but as we always have our home PC switched on its no drama for us to share the printer over the network.

The laser output is a lot better than the previous epson inkjet, and a lot less picky regarding the paper we use.

Regards,

Bruce

Lexmark / Dell models

I know that one of my clients uses a Dell multifunction printer. It is in-fact a lexmark rebranded.

They are having a terrible time getting decent priced cartridges for this machine (it is inkjet) so when looking, ensure that cartridges/ ink refills are available cheaply and easily.

Secondly - a trap I've been told of is Fax capability. If you require this ensure that the machine you buy has inbuilt fax and doesn't just re-use your computer's modem. This is one way to do it, but not as good.

Good luck in the search - I am also interested in the outcome of this search as I am looking for a print/scan/copy/fax machine, with cheap ink refills, and great quality, and colour and reasonably priced.. sigh! :)

====
PDF Files
As an aside - I use a great program to create PDF files. Basically anything you can print, can be created as PDF file. Excellent for sending invoices / quotes through email so they can't be modified and you know they end up on the other end the same as what you sent.

It's called PDF Creator. It can be downloaded for free from Source Forge ( http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796 )

It sets up a Pseudo printer on your machine - all you do is print to the PDFCreator printer and it asks - what do you want to do with the PDF, save it, email it, etc. Very good.
=====

BruceW

I think for a home office a Samsung SCX-4216F is looking to be the pick because it is bullet proof. It was a much more expensive machine when introduced of course.

For my purpose it is looking very mcuh as though a Canon MF5770 laser for $575 might be the lowest limit for durability and function.

The problem with a multifunction is that if one function goes out the whole unit goes to the repairer. So I guess an extra hundred or two is neither here nor there if the internalworkings are a better quality.

I expect there is a vast difference between machines made for commercial use as destined for home/student use.

But I am a lay person and do not see the returns or repairs as techies do.:eek:

LPlate

A supplier has advised me that HP lasers offer recycling of cartridge and use Canon engine.

So the cost and page count for the Canon is 2500 pages for a $120 cartridge but by comparison a HP around thse same (?) gets 3500 pages with a new cartridge price of $100 and recycled cartridge for $85.

Confused again.

LPlate

Back