What profit is expected

hi ,heres the thing ,i own two IPs one i bought for $152,000 in febuary last year and one i bought for $206,000 in may last year .
the first needed work restumping/relevelling (minimal ) interior shabby ,
this was a two bedroom miners cottage (so the pm informed me )i built another bedroom (the lounge was enormous) not now though .retiled the bathroom floor ,replaced all the plumbing built a new vanity and tiled the wall behind .Walls throughout the house were old fibro with the cover strips on the joins ,ceiling was the same construction ,i resheeted over the old fibro walls and ceiling with gyprock ,new cornice,new laundry downstairs new tiles downstairs ,new kitchen and tiles ,repainted the whole house inside cleaned up outside ,pulled down carport before it fell down and killed someone (this saved a lot of money in the end because i used the timber from this to build the walls for the third bedroom )anyway after all this work the money i spent came to a tad over $7000. I had a tenent in the house 4 months after i took possesion ,rent is $185 per week ,because the house is practially rebuilt there is no maintance .the existing tenants lease runs out in april this year when i will be lifting the rent to $220 per week house is on future industry /home occupation zoning but cannot be changed unless we require it for industrial purposes so a house block it stays .hope that gives you some background on the posting ,
now what do you suggest i do with the property ,sell, keep, homes in the area are now selling for around the $200,000 mark and will be increasing as soon as people realise it is industrial land 500 metres from the centre of Ipswich cbd ,if i sell now for $200,000 do you think the profit is adequate for the expense and effort .i used no outside trades except for a electrican mate who owed me a favor to add a ELCB to the power box ,all other work was done on my carpenter/joiners license

Hi Arms, it really depends on your investing philosophy...like are you a buy/reno/hold person versus buy/reno/sell person?

IMHO I would be having it revalued and see what equity I could leverage to buy another IP, but that's just in accordance with my personal investing philosophy. You have done really well with value added after reno, if terms of both CG and income....good on you! I wish I had your reno skills...they are worth a motza.

If you decided to sell, then I imagine you could be up for a 50% CGT bill. Perhaps check out the sums for both scenarious, and maybe do a spread sheet to see how the numbers look.

i am leaning to hold these properties together because they both make up an L shaped block with two street frontage if they were amalgamated ,there are two houses in the way before it can be a full square block of present residential land and future industrial land

i am leaning to hold these properties together because they both make up an L shaped block with two street frontage if they were amalgamated ,there are two houses in the way before it can be a full square block of present residential land and future industrial land

Look on the bright side; now you have the equity to buy those other two houses when they come up for sale in the future. :)

As Brenda has already said, it really depends on your investing philosophy. But here's my thoughts:
$152K purchasing cost + $7000K reno = $159K
At say 7% interest = $11,130 pa + say $1270 pa rates = $12,400
Rental income $220 pw = $11,000 pa (based on 50 weeks) - 8% prop. mngt fees $880 = Total income $10,120
Holding Costs before tax = 12,400 - 10,120 = $2,280 pa
Assuming you're in 30% marginal tax bracket, tax saving $2,280x30% = $684
TOTAL HOLDING COSTS = $1596 pa or $31 p/wk

The above scenario ignores further tax deductions that you may be entitled to for depreciation from the $7000 reno and I've just guessed at the rates but this shows that your property is not far from being neutrally geared. If you put down a deposit and your principle is even lower then the numbers will be even better. You've also created some good equity which you could use to leverage into another IP. Considering everything else such as the zoning (don't forget you could always sell the houses for removal or better yet move them onto a block that you own) I think there is a very strong argument for holding.

If you sell, you're up for CGT and selling fees etc. You would probably walk away with just under $30K. Of course you could just spend your profit or use it to get into another IP. With regard to the latter option you seem to be in a position to do this anyway just holding so unless you're desperate for the cash injection, what is the advantage in selling???

Flatout

thanks ,i have been of two minds over this one ,i know that i am very close to neutral property cost ,but i just wanted an opinion on the deal ,the second house in this equation is another story that i will need to share with you all at a later date
kind regards
tom

arms,

Do you think the value of the property will rise when it becomes industrial zone? It might be worth doing a bit of research to see if they are worth holding on to until then. You say they join up with two street frontages? Figure how you can use that to your advantage. By the sounds of it you may have a number of ways to improve the value of your holdings.

Maybe approach the owners of the blocks next to yours and propose to sell all the blocks as one to a company looking for land in the area that might be looking for something like you have? I dunno, just throwing it out there. I strongly suggest reading 'Trump Strategies For Real Estate' by George Ross it mght give you some useful tips.

Mark

I strongly suggest reading 'Trump Strategies For Real Estate' by George Ross it mght give you some useful tips.
Mark

I didn't know about this book. So ordered it today. I expect it will be a good read, as I generally liked George Ross' comments on "The Apprentice"...really savvy guy! Thanks for mentioning it Mark.

Hi sailor,

I rate this book up there as being as good as Jan's books and Trump's books. It really is that good. If nothing else, it will teach people the absolute importance of having excellent people on your team.

Also, gotta hand the kudo's over to Dale on this one - it was his mentioning it that got me interested in reading it.

Mark

Hi sailor,

I rate this book up there as being as good as Jan's books and Trump's books. It really is that good. If nothing else, it will teach people the absolute importance of having excellent people on your team.

Also, gotta hand the kudo's over to Dale on this one - it was his mentioning it that got me interested in reading it.

Mark

Well if Dale recommended it, it must be good!;)

Back