What should I do with only $100k in Bank..

congratulations - but we're not talking about your properties :rolleyes:

$10k was an example...an outdoor deck/patio area deemed unsafe after tenants had moved in

show me a genuine positively geared property in Logan or wherever you buy today at 90% lvr ....and also without the need to throw any money at it

Show me one you can buy today

Not one you bought 12 months ago :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-elizabeth+park-118381115

Rent $240-250wk.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-duplex+semi+detached-sa-elizabeth+park-117480951

$210-220wk

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-elizabeth+park-118230403

$240-250wk

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-elizabeth+north-115785235

240-250wk

What do I win?

Show me one you can buy today

Not one you bought 12 months ago :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If there was something good on the market today my friends or I would be buying it, not blathering about it in public.

No idea where you got this 12 months ago idea from?

This one is 1 month ago
147k buy + 3k worth of work (hot water system fell thru ceiling)
Calc interest at whatever lvr you like, im getting 4.7 odd
250/w rent , found tenant a couple days after settlement
1k rates
550 insurance
7.7 PM
water, depreciation, yadda
subdividable into 2

Or this one 3 months ago
250k buy
spent nothing on it
370/w rent (inherited tenants from previous owner so is under market, will increase to 400/w when I can)
Interest calc however you want
2k rates
750 insurance
7.7 PM
water, depreciation, yadda yadda
subdividable into 3

$240 - $250 for that without any reno on a main road? good luck

this has been on the market for sometime at $230pw on a quiet st,, freshly painted, and garage + carport.... http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-elizabeth+park-408488927 for $230...so lets assume $220pw for your example...

$159,950 purchase price
$149,955 + $3000 LMI 90% loan @ 4.9% = $7494 = $144.31 pw
$350 pw landlord insurace = $350 = $6.73pw
$800 building insurance = $15.38 pw
$220 x 8% property management (inc. GST, sundry) = $17.60 pw
$2000 council rates = $38.46 pw

pw outgoing = $222.48 = $-2.48

and this is not even considering;

standard 15% of rent to go towards general maintenance
2 weeks vacancy PA
additional PM fees including tenancy fees

I only have $100k savings in my bank account, but really want to buy a property that I can move in in a year's time...I am also the first home buyer, but not really interested in buying OTP.

Question is.. what should I do..I want to live close to city (30 mins travel by train is ok for me)

I think I can only afford one bedroom apartment or units...

Sounds like a good plan to start with just think a bit bigger,and once you consider the following sobering statistic not many people have that amount of raw cash :) sitting in a Bank fixed term earning below 3.80%% so with that savings history you will have a good start,just read as much as you can in this site,and ask questions on anything you don't understand everything you need from the "Legal" side down to simple preventive maintenance is within this site..good luck..imho..

btw welcome to this site you are in the right place..

If there was something good on the market today my friends or I would be buying it, not blathering about it in public.

No idea where you got this 12 months ago idea from?

This one is 1 month ago
147k buy + 3k worth of work (hot water system fell thru ceiling)
Calc interest at whatever lvr you like, im getting 4.7 odd
250/w rent , found tenant a couple days after settlement
1k rates
550 insurance
7.7 PM
water, depreciation, yadda
subdividable into 2

Or this one 3 months ago
250k buy
spent nothing on it
370/w rent (inherited tenants from previous owner so is under market, will increase to 400/w when I can)
Interest calc however you want
2k rates
750 insurance
7.7 PM
water, depreciation, yadda yadda
subdividable into 3

These are just numbers you've pulled out of your head...can we get some real examples?? and are you factoring all costs??
I've held 13 properties in the logan area for the past 4 years most around 8% gross yield and once ALL expenses are accounted for, they are barely neutral and I have cashflow spreadsheets to prove it if you PM me

This was back in the heyday when you can pick up decent houses for $190 - $230k

These are just numbers you've pulled out of your head...can we get some real examples?? and are you factoring all costs??
I've held 13 properties in the logan area for the past 4 years most around 8% gross yield and once ALL expenses are accounted for, they are barely neutral and I have cashflow spreadsheets to prove it if you PM me

This was back in the heyday when you can pick up decent houses for $190 - $230k

So now you're accusing me of posting fake properties? What reason would i possibly want to do this? :rolleyes::eek:

this has been on the market for sometime at $230pw on a quiet st,, freshly painted, and garage + carport.... http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-elizabeth+park-408488927 for $230...so lets assume $220pw for your example...

$159,950 purchase price

2 weeks vacancy PA

Considering median rent for Elizabeth Park is $255wk, I'm actually being quite conservative. Most lease agreements I'm seeing for clients right now are 250-270wk.

• $240wk is completely reasonable.
  • We're not talking about Brisbane, rates here are ~$1100-1200 p.a
  • Building + LL insurance = $750/total
  • your repayment figure isn't correct. Even at 92% LVR the repayment is $138wk. Meaning even with your figures the property is CF+

Feel free to look at all the non-main road ones I've listed too. :)

Last edited:

$159,950 purchase price

2 weeks vacancy PA

You are more whingey and whiney then most married women I know!!

-$2.48, OMG, stop the presss, better make my double espresso a single shot

im surprised how you can even have 13 properties in Logan and actually sleep at night

You are more whingey and whiney then most married women I know!!

-$2.48, OMG, stop the presss, better make my double espresso a single shot

im surprised how you can even have 13 properties in Logan and actually sleep at night

bear in mind it doesn't include vacancies, general maintenance, extra fees from PM's/banks, initial "fix up" period, professional tenants that insurance policies don't cover etc etc...

easily adds to $1 - 2k per year...times that by a couple of properties and it becomes significant

some of the 8% logan properties are negatively geared because of this...depreciation helps but largely a huge tax refund at the end of the year balances things out

luckily i have a some heavily +cashflow properties in Sydney that help with the low performers, otherwise i really would struggle to sleep at night!

bear in mind it doesn't include vacancies, general maintenance, extra fees from PM's/banks, initial "fix up" period, professional tenants that insurance policies don't cover etc etc...

easily adds to $1 - 2k per year...times that by a couple of properties and it becomes significant

some of the 8% logan properties are negatively geared because of this...depreciation helps but largely a huge tax refund at the end of the year balances things out

luckily i have a some heavily +cashflow properties in Sydney that help with the low performers, otherwise i really would struggle to sleep at night!

thast the reality of life

older house = more maintennace
lower socio areas = more chances of arrears/damage/
more houses = more risk

some of my properties in worse condition have no maintenance issues, some better houses have maintenance probems one after the other

congratulations - but we're not talking about your properties :rolleyes:

$10k was an example...an outdoor deck/patio area deemed unsafe after tenants had moved in

show me a genuine positively geared property in Logan or wherever you buy today at 90% lvr ....and also without the need to throw any money at it

This should of been pulled up in the b and p, so you could of walked away or renegotiated

[QUOTE

This was back in the heyday when you can pick up decent houses for $190 - $230k[/QUOTE]

This was happening only 18 months ago

Back