What the Hell are you here for?

How so, Sunfish?

To me, the student who has no knowledge and refuses to listen to the more experienced and knowledgable - in any form of human endeavour - is the arrogant one.

Don't you think?

So those that buy property are more knowledgeable in the factors that influence property prices?:confused:

Your delusional

We've just had the biggest property boom in the nations history, and our house prices are amongst the highest in the world. Speculation on housing is one of the drivers of this spike. There are those who believe anything making a contribution to spiraling house prices is not good for society as a whole. The contrarian position is not all doom and gloom, and it's intent is not simply to troll. Your original post show a surprising lack of understanding as to why people would take a contrary position.

Admittedly, this IS a property investment forum. People visit to potentially invest in property, to learn about property etc etc The contrarian would like those people to question the merit of this. They believe that every person they discourage is one step closer to house price sanity. This is not my personal view, but as a society I would like to see greater social awareness in our economic decisions.

As for my personal view. My personal view is quite simple. Grandfather negative gearing for property investors on established housing. Actively encourage (through tax and CCT concessions) for investment in new stock only.

Well said. Agree 100%

How so, Sunfish?

LAA, I think that post could be interpreted in such a way that I think this thread is grossly insulting to those here who post considered opinions (mostly in the past tense, you will note) in good faith: That you are full of it: That, like the Emperor, you have no clothes.

I am throwing myself at the mercy of the forum. If I am shot down..... so be it.

It's the strength of the argument not the experience / knowledge / intelligence etc of the poster that is important and will stand the test of time.

So those that buy property are more knowledgeable in the factors that influence property prices?:confused:

Your delusional

I resemble that remark! :D

From my experience, yes - those that buy/have bought property usually have more knowledge than those that don't - not in what influences prices, but how to make money from property no matter what the stage of the cycle it is. When I bought my first property in 1985 I thought I had a bit of a clue then. Guess what; I didn't.

Price is only one aspect of making money out of property, and anyone can study what the influencing factors are on price. That's just the thing; many of them only ever do the study; many of them never act.

The really hard-core D&G'ers are not in property usually, and assume that everyone who is in property is a speculator/specufestor (great word), only interested in cap growth, Ponzi schemes, highly neg geared, preying on the less fortunate and so on.

It's a blanket mindset, inaccurate, displays a victim mentality and seems to me to that they are resentful of those who have done ok.

Why? What's the problem? There are far worse people in society than someone who makes a dollar out of a property deal or two. It's not my fault they can't afford a house, or haven't got the kahunas to buy one.

I reckon that in reality, they don't know how to make money out of buying one in a climate such as we are in now, and it pisses them off. It's just not fair.

If someone says to me "the market will drop by 50% over the next 12 months, you're all specufestors, it's all a Ponzi scheme etc, and will lose everything" - but they have never been in the property market, then I find it very difficult to accept their point of view, and I would say they are bitter and angry about something.

They may be right about the market, but I'd say probably not.

If a bloke with 25 properties says it, then I'll be listening with 5 ears.

So, then I naturally say to the no experience D&G'er; "Well, what brings you to that conclusion?, as I've been doing it for many a year and I've never seen it happen myself, I've managed to make money, ra ra ra." At this stage I'm trying to elighten them and offer help - through past experiences; not empty theory.

So then the response from them might be "Well, all the factors are in place for a massive drop - houses are way overpriced in relation to wages and the rest of the world, affordability is shot to hell, you're all over-leveraged, I'll buy your property off you for half-price next year, ha!" and so on.

So then I say "Well, there are many opportunities out there, people always live in houses, not all markets will drop - you just need to look for the ones that are showing good signs of growth in the future, there are numerous ways you can still invest and make money" and so on. At this stage I'm still offering to help, but both feet are facing the door.

If they then say; "Oh, so could you tell me how can you do that?" then I'm happy to keep on conversing, and the exchange is fun, I face back towards them. Smiles all round. We can talk about the terrible market, and how to capitalise from it - the whole point of this forum in my opinion.

But if they instead continue to say; "no, from what I've studied it will all go to hell", then I know they are not listening, not open-minded and not really displaying the desire to learn; just to be inflammatory.

Discussions end here, and the newbie becomes a tiresome boor, and we hope they go away soon.

But they stick around, talking doom and gloom with no contribution other than to be contrary.

What the hell are they here for?

I would rather they leave us alone to continue our discussions on how to make money. We already know that the market may go south - no news there. The trick is to make sure you can still survive the drop if there is one, but these D&G'ers can't offer any info in that department in most cases.

I admire your detirmination L.AAussie.

That sure is a long post. :eek:

Cheers

Mick

P.S. I just cant stay away from this thread...hahaha

Total, unadulterated arrogance.

No, he is correct, except when he is wrong, and golf pros are corrected by people that study things:

http://www.scientificblogging.com/n...debunked_scientists_have_a_better_way_to_putt

But I am sure that his analogy holds up in his own mind.

I love straw men arguments! they are so cool and show such a splendid way of looking at the world! They are never used in a way where an ill fitting analogy is used to demonstrate why the person posing the analogy is wrong.

How so, Sunfish?

To me, the student who has no knowledge and refuses to listen to the more experienced and knowledgable - in any form of human endeavour - is the arrogant one.

Don't you think?

See I think you may need to use a little bit of that human thing called empathy[1] and try to work out what sunfish was saying.

I have a suspicion he was saying that *you* were being arrogant by posing such an analogy.

Not that either of the people in your analogy were arrogant.

There are a few fairly obvious pointers towards this conclusion which I guess you will figure out if you think about it for a moment.

[1] Unless you are autistic or have aspergers in which case it is not really your fault you are unable to do this.

LAA, I think that post could be interpreted in such a way that I think this thread is grossly insulting to those here who post considered opinions (mostly in the past tense, you will note) in good faith: That you are full of it: That, like the Emperor, you have no clothes.

I am throwing myself at the mercy of the forum. If I am shot down..... so be it.

No intention to be insulting to those who are willing to learn, are here to help others - to bring something valid to the table - either with D&G or with rose-coloured glasses.

If you are saying I'm being insulting towards those who aren't investors in property, have no experience, and who display an apparent hatred of property investors and are trying to disrupt the forum with constant witless D&G...

Then you'd be absolutely right.

See I think you may need to use a little bit of that human thing called empathy[1] and try to work out what sunfish was saying.

I have a suspicion he was saying that *you* were being arrogant by posing such an analogy.

Not that either of the people in your analogy were arrogant.

There are a few fairly obvious pointers towards this conclusion which I guess you will figure out if you think about it for a moment.

[1] Unless you are autistic or have aspergers in which case it is not really your fault you are unable to do this.

You're quite right Tor; I don't have a lot of empathy generally, I am definitely arrogant, impatient and I don't suffer fools lightly.

But I'd like to think that I've helped at least as many people here as I've had a shot at.

If you are saying I'm being insulting towards those who aren't investors in property, have no experience, and who display an apparent hatred of property investors and are trying to disrupt the forum with constant witless D&G...

Get real! I was always one of those in your sights.

I am a property investor, I have fourty years experience in commerce/investment and I never try to disrupt the forum, merely defend myself. But in case you haven't noticed, I am willing to partake in "robust" discussion.

You are right about one thing though, I have no intention of learning anything from you. It is this insistence that we all sit at your feet and listen to the "master" I find distasteful in the extreme.

...I don't have a lot of empathy generally, I am definitely arrogant, impatient and I don't suffer fools lightly...

Don't take this the wrong way but those attributes are ones claimed by a certain stereotype of person, and that stereotype of person is certainly not one I would want in anyone in a position to advise me regarding investments.

If it were actually true, I still wouldn't want that person advising me in an investment scenario.

But I am sure you realise that and probably revel in it.

1. Interesting reading.......as above.
2. Support and encouragement.
3. To blow off steam with people who know what I am talking about.
4. Debate and constructive criticism.
5. To learn and get advice from like -minded, well-wishing people who have the same objectives as I do.

Regards Jo:)

So then I say "Well, there are many opportunities out there, people always live in houses, not all markets will drop - you just need to look for the ones that are showing good signs of growth in the future, there are numerous ways you can still invest and make money" and so on. At this stage I'm still offering to help, but both feet are facing the door.

If they then say; "Oh, so could you tell me how can you do that?" then I'm happy to keep on conversing, and the exchange is fun, I face back towards them. Smiles all round. We can talk about the terrible market, and how to capitalise from it - the whole point of this forum in my opinion.

Now you're talking. Thankyou for clarifying your position. I was a bit taken aback by the original post (tone and contect) as you never struck me as a "sun is always shining" kinda guy.

I for one have almost always found LAA's constructive so thanks for posting - please dont pack your bags and leave! :(

I think the LAA summed it up very well in his post. As I interpret his words, this forum should tolerate a wide range of views but the views and opinions should be in the context of how to profit from property investing (in good times and bad).

/Kudos to LAA

Get real! I was always one of those in your sights.

I am a property investor, I have fourty years experience in commerce/investment and I never try to disrupt the forum, merely defend myself. But in case you haven't noticed, I am willing to partake in "robust" discussion.

You are right about one thing though, I have no intention of learning anything from you. It is this insistence that we all sit at your feet and listen to the "master" I find distasteful in the extreme.

No, you never were never in my sights, Sunfish. What made you think that?

Believe it or not, I regard you as one of the better forumites here - as you say; you have many years experience and what you bring to the table is based on trial and error, failure and success. We need more blokes like you here, hence my thread.

You haven't just picked up a text book, or done a few google searches on property related articles, then argued the toss for months on end like some here do.

Also, I never said I was the master at any point, however I did say that I have something to bring to the table and can offer some help based on some experience. Whether people put any weight on my contributions is up to them. If they don't, then that's their loss and I won't lose sleep.

I haven't pointed blame at anyone specifically in this thread. I could have, and as you know, I have had direct shots at specific people on this forum before on numerous occasions, and I don't apologise for any of that.

People have shots at me on a regular basis as well. No worries; if I'm wrong, I generally admit it, and move on.

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way but those attributes are ones claimed by a certain stereotype of person, and that stereotype of person is certainly not one I would want in anyone in a position to advise me regarding investments.

If it were actually true, I still wouldn't want that person advising me in an investment scenario.

But I am sure you realise that and probably revel in it.

Actually, Tor, if you would like to critique my personality here and describe my stereotype I don't mind.

I have always had suspicions about the traits I have, but don't know the terms for them.

I won't get offended, and won't be resentful for you saying anything - I am genuinely interested to know, so have at it.

Maybe it'll help me to improve as a person and stop annoying others here. I know I could do with some improvement. :)

Believe it or not, I regard you as one of the better forumites here - as you say; you have many years experience and what you bring to the table is based on trial and error, failure and success. We need more blokes like you here

Hey ??

Sunfish is a 22 y.o. lady from Gundagi in Victoria. Whaddaya talkin' about LAA ??

Back